Farish 4F DCC chip

If you can afford it go for a well known make like zimo or something in that area. The better the decoder the better you can configure the running of the loco and if you can find a stay alive to fit all the better.

If the instructions say that a 6 pin decoder is appropriate, it is highly unlikely that any other type is required.  There is a very simple way to find out: see what sort of socket is fitted.  A 6 pin one looks quite different from a Next18.  If they are unfamiliar to you, you will find plenty of pictures on the Internet.

Any 6 pin decoder will work.  I second Rogerdee's recommendation that you buy a good quality one.  My favourites are Zimo, Uhlenbrock, and Doehler & Haass, but Lenz, ESU and Train-o-matic are good too.

9 minutes ago, TWG said:

If the instructions say that a 6 pin decoder is appropriate, it is highly unlikely that any other type is required.  There is a very simple way to find out: see what sort of socket is fitted.  A 6 pin one looks quite different from a Next18.  If they are unfamiliar to you, you will find plenty of pictures on the Internet.

Any 6 pin decoder will work.  I second Rogerdee's recommendation that you buy a good quality one.  My favourites are Zimo, Uhlenbrock, and Doehler & Haass, but Lenz, ESU and Train-o-matic are good too.

Depends on the age of the model.

Farish went along this route:

• No DCC readiness
  • 6 Pin DCC - older models from around 2010 that were DCC ready, some have since been upgraded again with an Next 18 interface.
  • Next18 DCC - these typically come with a speaker as well and will have been produced in the past 4 years.

What is the model number for your 4F that will tell us it's age and DCC status as the 4F has been around some time and has featured both 6 pin DCC and Next18.

These two for example are Next 18

image.png.9aca769b395837987b1753cebf82c02b.png

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

The old Farish 4Fs would have had no provision for DCC at all. The c.–2010 4Fs have 6 pin decoders. The most recent batch had a sound upgrade and were Next 18 — hence the confusion. If the instructions for your model say it is 6-pin, and the box end says it is 6-pin, then it almost certainly is.