Coaches of the ECML, circa 1980...

• RMweb Premium

Many of your carriage projects (Mk2a etc) surely will be much appreciated by fellow 1:120 modellers. 

Unless another mass manufacturer enters the scene I forsee those who conceive and design 3D prints will be the only way forward. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, gc4946 said:

Many of your carriage projects (Mk2a etc) surely will be much appreciated by fellow 1:120 modellers. 

Unless another mass manufacturer enters the scene I forsee those who conceive and design 3D prints will be the only way forward. 

And for the slightly larger minority scale of 3mm....but the boys and girls in British Ho and S should also take a interest!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gc4946 said:

My feeling is that I'd rather have the 3D models in my library, even if Hornby did make a Mk2a. I'll probably even do my own HST at some point! Subsequently I don't really follow the releases, but I imagine they might be waiting a long time for a 2a otherwise. 

14 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

And for the slightly larger minority scale of 3mm....but the boys and girls in British Ho and S should also take a interest!

Yes, if I get it right, I hope it will have a wide appeal across TT, and other scales. There are possibly scratch builders in OO, who'd prefer to do there own thing too.  I was surprised how many people are printing the 313 in OO. I thought that would have been catered for.

I don't think I'm far off the TSO and the BSO bodies. I'm thinking about releasing them soon on an 'attribution license', so anyone can access, share, and modify them as long as they credit the original file.... and give an option for donations rather than charging anything for the files themselves. I just think of all the resources that I used to design them, that people have collated and share for free, and it seems like a better way to give something back. I also benefit from giving other people the opportunity to develop the files. 

That's my thinking anyway... this weekend I've been tasked with oiling two sets of garden furniture so not much progress happening !

• Like 2

This is the first draft of the BSO.

I believe, externally, it's the same coachwork as the BFK, is this the case?

The windows and doors are in place, but no steps or gaps under on the doors yet, and I need to shuffle the roof vents around...

Brake Second Open MKII 001.jpg

Brake Second Open MKII 002.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

10 hours ago, Blefuscu said:

The windows and doors are in place, but no steps or gaps under on the doors yet, and I need to shuffle the roof vents around...

Brake Second Open MKII 001.jpg

Brake Second Open MKII 002.jpg

Mk2s look Brill can't wait to get them wet! I'm just tinkering with the GUV in 3mm one notable thing with resin printing is the roof more often needs a swipe with some very fine grit paper to smooth layer lines

(20240418_161449.jpg.f97480930e286e19ff7fcdb07326b5b6.jpgas most models viewed from above) but vents get in the way on the guv I've placed 'holes' at the slicing stage on each vent so when sanded the location is marked for replacement...'simples!'

I know there might be a way via a drawing package but above my pay grade at the moment. 

I'm being cheeky how easy would it be for a second file for each coach to be included one with vents one with locating holes?

Regards

G

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Blefuscu said:

Yes. The Mk2 and Mk2A builds used the same shell for the BSO and BFK. For completeness there were no Mk2B BSOs and the Mk2C, Mk2D, Mk2E and Mk2F BSOs all had second class window spacing so were a different body to the Mk2C and Mk2D BFKs.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Flood said:

Yes. The Mk2 and Mk2A builds used the same shell for the BSO and BFK. For completeness there were no Mk2B BSOs and the Mk2C, Mk2D, Mk2E and Mk2F BSOs all had second class window spacing so were a different body to the Mk2C and Mk2D BFKs.

Excellent,  thanks for the confirmation 👍

8 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

how easy would it be for a second file for each coach to be included one with vents one with locating holes?

I think all printed roofs suffer from this, and it's not a bad idea. In theory, it's not difficult to do either. I simply cut the vents away from the model instead of joining them.... although they have to be scaled up first to create a small gap, and each cut needs a bit of cleaning up.

I was thinking about it for the 313s, as there were 2 options for the vents there. Ultimately, I went in favour of trying to sand around the vents, instead of more tiny things to print/scrape off the FEP.

The other issue is version control... if I have to make a change to the body later, that needs rippling out to every version I made. I think all printed roofs suffer from this though, and it's not a bad idea... but i might just see how the vented version turns out before I try the vent hole version.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Flood said:

The Barrowmore group have the BR coach diagrams on their website. They aren't the most detailed drawings, but they are dimensioned and you can see stuff like the different window spacings. 

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/CS/Book_No_200_EK_web.pdf

I guess it was thought worth having the expense of different body shells to get an extra three feet of van space in the later Mk2 BSOs. 

Just one thing to be careful of. The BR diagram has the BSO roof vent positions for the Mk2 BFK and Mk2A BFK, I first noticed this when Bachmann got theirs wrong and I noticed the BR diagrams in Harris were also incorrect.  The positions shown on the Mk2B BFK drawing are correct.

6 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

The Barrowmore group have the BR coach diagrams on their website. They aren't the most detailed drawings, but they are dimensioned and you can see stuff like the different window spacings. 

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/CS/Book_No_200_EK_web.pdf

I guess it was thought worth having the expense of different body shells to get an extra three feet of van space in the later Mk2 BSOs. 

Yes, I've got those thanks - they are a good starting point. I use them for scale, and the layout of main features.. and I keep a printed copy next to me to make notes on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flood said:

Just one thing to be careful of. The BR diagram has the BSO roof vent positions for the Mk2 BFK and Mk2A BFK, I first noticed this when Bachmann got theirs wrong and I noticed the BR diagrams in Harris were also incorrect.  The positions shown on the Mk2B BFK drawing are correct.

I'd have probably missed that, thanks!

Finding clear images of roof vents can be tricky.

On 15/05/2024 at 00:01, Flood said:

The positions shown on the Mk2B BFK drawing are correct.

Just a note on this diagram. The reproduction of AB104 in my pdf of book 200 from the Barrowmore Group is pretty poor. However, the older diagram BR164 is much clearer. ( Available from http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/CS/Coaching_Stock_N3_web.pdf )

Found some nice images here showing the roof here:  https://coaches-library.weebly.com/mk2a---bfk.html

As an aside, I've just had an email back from the British Library regarding that book.

TLTR: Technically, they are still in a bit of a mess. Last time I was there to look at some OS maps, I had to put a paper request in and come back in an hour - but this is in another building and will take two days.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your enquiry. The book - British Rail Mark 2 coaches : the design that launched Intercity, shelf-mark: fm01/1432 is available to request for the registered readers only. This book is stored in our off-site location at Boston Spa, Yorkshire and the delivery time is 48 hours. You need to make two visits, one for to place the request and another to view the material. We do have another copy but that is not available due to the cyber attack last year.

If you have a reader pass then please make a note of the shelf-mark, collect a paper order form from the Reading Room staff, fill in the required details, and return it to the Issue Desk. We currently have a limit of 6 requests per day. Please note that last orders should be submitted by 15:45. We are not taking any advance orders at the moment. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

2 hours ago, Blefuscu said:

The TSO has now been uploaded on cults3d

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/british-rail-mk2a-coach-tso

The BSO and BFK will be ready soon

Looking faward to getting a down load and warming the resin up!

What % should the slicing be scaled at to bring it to 3mm 1.101 scale normally just wing it then measure but not the most scientific way..

I have a conversion scale but it was pre tt120 days so not there

The screen shot is taken from Exeter central in tt (3mm) Web sight 

I have seen posts with complicated maths to scale stuff but I like it simple 

Screenshot_20240523-000259_Chrome.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Blefuscu said:

To satiate my pathological desire for procrastination, I have taken the liberty of bringing your chart up to date... 

Scale Chart.jpg

Scale Chart.xlsx 14.49 kB · 0 downloads

That's ABSOLUTELY Brill for the hard of thinking like myself and you have included the multiple N gauge scales.....that's getting a print off and laminating in a4 for the work bench

Tar v much

G

2 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

That's ABSOLUTELY Brill for the hard of thinking like myself and you have included the multiple N gauge scales.....that's getting a print off and laminating in a4 for the work bench

Tar v much

G

No problem - It's probably the most constructive thing I've done all day :'D

Got to love all those N gauges.

I've been trying to get the BSO & BFK's ready when I just spotted a slight issue with the TSO windows. No handles... so I've been going around in circles a bit. Luckily no-one has downloaded it yet.

• Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, Blefuscu said:

No problem - It's probably the most constructive thing I've done all day :'D

Got to love all those N gauges.

I've been trying to get the BSO & BFK's ready when I just spotted a slight issue with the TSO windows. No handles... so I've been going around in circles a bit. Luckily no-one has downloaded it yet.

Was downloading tonight should I hold off? Or will it just file update like 313?

G

16 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Was downloading tonight should I hold off? Or will it just file update like 313?

G

I've just updated it, so it will be fine now. Although, in future, if there's anything else I need to fix the updates will follow like the 313

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Blefuscu said:

I've just updated it, so it will be fine now. Although, in future, if there's anything else I need to fix the updates will follow like the 313

It's in the oven...3mm scale

+118% 21hrs at 24° 0.03mm layer hight

Had to place at a a steep angle to squeeze on build plate...forgot drain hole in roof so there will be a bit of collective resin in roof...

Will take a sneaky look in morning to see if stuck to build plate....(first print for 2 weeks)

G

20240523_235425.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2024 at 14:54, Blefuscu said:

As an aside, I've just had an email back from the British Library regarding that book.

The National Railway Museum have copies - worth a visit as it'll be more accessible than the British Library.

They might also have some works drawings.

Steven B