RMweb

Thompson L1 class 2-6-4t working on the southern section of the E.C.M.L.

• RMweb Premium

I would if l could ask the ECML experts here on RMweb  a quick question ?

I ve been looking into the workings of Thompson L1 tanks on the southern section of the ECML.  I ve noted that in the mid 1950s, furthest depot north on the southern section of the ECML out of London, that had an allocation of these tanks, was Hitchin. Does anyone know if the Hitchin allocated tanks worked north and if so to where?

I understand that  Doncaster did not receive an allocation of L1s until 1960. However l ve noted that Tony Wright has a Kings Cross allocated L1 67800 running on his fantastic "Little Bytham" layout which is , l believe set in the summer of 1958? 

Was this a light engine move to Doncaster or did they work through to Grantham?

Bob C

Using not too much Rule 1, I have an L1 on my 1948 Southern layout ....... there WAS an expectation that trials would be carried out but I think 42198/9 were too obviously successful ! ....................................... sorry, that doesn't answer your query one iota ! 😎

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Bob

David Percival wrote an excellent article entitled Hitchin's Hundred which appeared in BRILL June-July 1993.

He notes that L1s went to Cambridge (not ECML, I know). They normally only ventured north to Huntingdon but, in 1959, one was diagrammed for the 2.55pm stopping train to Peterborough returning with a freight from Huntingdon.

According to David, 67744 went to New England in November1960.

Hope that helps.

Brian

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Bob

David Percival wrote an excellent article entitled Hitchin's Hundred which appeared in BRILL June-July 1993.

He notes that L1s went to Cambridge (not ECML, I know). They normally only ventured north to Huntingdon but, in 1959, one was diagrammed for the 2.55pm stopping train to Peterborough returning with a freight from Huntingdon.

According to David, 67744 went to New England in November1960.

Hope that helps.

Brian

Thanks Brian

This info tends to explain why there are few if any photos of L1s  north of Huntingdon, so it looks like l m going to have to rely on the old "En Route to Doncaster Plant"  or just  "running in after visiting  the Plant" rouse

Thanks again

Bob C

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

... I have an L1 on my 1948 Southern layout ...

Before anyone points it out, of course the Southern already had a class of L1s - and my Crownline one is STILL among the unfinished projects on the workbench.

Closer to topic, I'm tempted to invoke Rule 1, again, and assume that the LNER's unwanted L2s ended up south of the Thames under BR - they'd have felt at home here !

• RMweb Gold

L1s used to reach Grantham from Nottingham on the Nottingham - Grantham workings, I quite often travelled behind them .  I assume they may have also got to Skegness as a part of the workings.

Colwick and Grantham both had allocations in 1961, my locoshed books do not go any further back than that.

David

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, DaveF said:

L1s used to reach Grantham from Nottingham on the Nottingham - Grantham workings, I quite often travelled behind them .  I assume they may have also got to Skegness as a part of the workings.

Colwick and Grantham both had allocations in 1961, my locoshed books do not go any further back than that.

David

Also worked worked the Friargate to Victoria suburbans.

Also what we called the parcels train through Mickleover each afternoon each way. We never knew the destinations but it went through at a fair clap!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
On 05/05/2024 at 09:25, DaveF said:

L1s replaced C12s on Grantham - Nottingham services around 1958. At that time the Lincolnshire branches out of Grantham were being operated by Derby heavyweight (later class 114) DMUs.

Edited by PortlandStone
From reference books, rather than memoty
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

After a lot of digging around, l discovered that according to "BR Database"website 

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=601201072&loco=67772

L1 67772  was sheded ay Grantham for a few weeks between20/03/1954 & 22/05/1954. A very shorth stay indeed.

I wonder if it was to cover a certain short time working or was this a move on paper only and never actually took place ?

Bob C

10 hours ago, Blobrick said:

After a lot of digging around, l discovered that according to "BR Database"website 

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=601201072&loco=67772

L1 67772  was sheded ay Grantham for a few weeks between20/03/1954 & 22/05/1954. A very shorth stay indeed.

I wonder if it was to cover a certain short time working or was this a move on paper only and never actually took place ?

Bob C

The Yeadon's Register says 67772 was at Grantham from 07/03/54 until 16/05/54 so a bit longer and probably not a paper transfer. It was also a Grantham engine again from 21/05/61 until withdrawn on 13/11/61.

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

On 05/05/2024 at 16:43, Blobrick said:

Thanks Brian

This info tends to explain why there are few if any photos of L1s  north of Huntingdon, so it looks like l m going to have to rely on the old "En Route to Doncaster Plant"  or just  "running in after visiting  the Plant" rouse

Thanks again

Bob C

Again looking at the Yeadon's, Darlington seems to be the main place of repair along with Stratford. 9000 had a repair at Doncaster once but as I had a flick through that was the only one I could find, though there could be others.

Simon