will the old Dynamis controller work on the latest R3983SS Hornby OO Gauge LNER, P2

Posted (edited)

Bit of a long one, and a bit pointless to some.

I don't have a layout, I just collect (various things)

I bought the Hornby R2782XS City of Sheffield DCC Sound, along with the Hornby R2894XS City of Coventry DCC Sound, when they were first released in 2010.

I also bought the Hornby Rolling Road R8203.

I only ran them on this, then they sat in my sealed display case. (as I say, sounds a bit stupid to some)

I bought a used Dynamis controller to control them just on the rolling road, and all the functions worked fine.

So, to my question, does anyone know if this old Dynamis will work with the new R3983SS Hornby OO Gauge LNER, P2 2007 'Prince of Wales' With Steam Generator, and give me the steam option, (just on the rolling road, no layout) before I go and splash out on it?

Many Thanks for any replies.

Mods, please move if in the wrong section.

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 19.42.20.png

Edited by negativepitch

Given that the Dynamis will provide DCC to the rolling road, and the P2 is fitted with a TXS chip, it doesn’t need to control it. Download the free Hornby app and since power is provided by the Dynamis the app will control the loco via the TXS Bluetooth capability

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, LMSfan72 said:

Given that the Dynamis will provide DCC to the rolling road, and the P2 is fitted with a TXS chip, it doesn’t need to control it. Download the free Hornby app and since power is provided by the Dynamis the app will control the loco via the TXS Bluetooth capability

The problem I have is, I don't own a phone... I yes I know 😁 I haven't since 2010.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I only own a Macbook Pro, and no IOS device like an iPad.

Edited by negativepitch

39 minutes ago, negativepitch said:

The problem I have is, I don't own a phone... I yes I know 😁 I haven't since 2010.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I only own a Macbook Pro, and no IOS device like an iPad.

Yes, the Dynamis will work, the only limitation is that it cannot control functions beyond F20. I'm not sure how many functions are used on the Hornby Steam Generator locos but I'd be surprised if F0 - F20 didn't cover all the essential stuff and more.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

The P2 function mapping is here:-

https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:EU:a7f5a887-d2cd-4b0a-b337-4a2c8f4aeb35

Fingers crossed that actually works...

Without sounding stupid... well, sounding stupid, which one of the settings listed would it cause it to produce steam/activate the steam generator when on DCC, or is it set to default out of the box?

I did read somewhere that the steam can be turned off, not I would want to do that anyway.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, negativepitch said:

Without sounding stupid... well, sounding stupid, which one of the settings listed would it cause it to produce steam/activate the steam generator when on DCC, or is it set to default out of the box?

I did read somewhere that the steam can be turned off, not I would want to do that anyway.

Good question, can't see it mentioned, maybe I've got the wrong datasheet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, negativepitch said:

I only own a Macbook Pro, and no IOS device like an iPad.

Doesn't the Macbook also run iOS?

3 hours ago, LMSfan72 said:

F24 turns the steam off otherwise it will operate with F1 on

So on a Dynamis, you'll have the Steam enabled as a default but you wouldn't be able to turn it off if you didn't want it in operation as the Function (24) is above the range enabled. 

A Macbook runs on the Apple system but there's a download for the TXS system for that isn't there?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

Doesn't the Macbook also run iOS?

No, and the  apps are only made for mobile devices, iPod, iPad, iPhone.

A Mac doesn't have a touch screen either.

Edited by negativepitch
Wrong reply
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, andyman7 said:

So on a Dynamis, you'll have the Steam enabled as a default but you wouldn't be able to turn it off if you didn't want it in operation as the Function (24) is above the range enabled. 

A Macbook runs on the Apple system but there's a download for the TXS system for that isn't there?

ios apps are only made for mobile devices, iPod, iPad, iPhone.

A Mac doesn't have a touch screen either

Edited by negativepitch
wrong worded reply
  • Informative/Useful 1

That shows the limit of my knowledge of things Apple 🙄

Secondhand tablet or phone devices can be picked up very cheaply if you're not fussy about having the latest tech so maybe that's also an option if you want access to F24

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Same here

A cheap Android tablet running 5 or later will work with the Hornby app.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Secondhand tablet or phone devices can be picked up very cheaply if you're not fussy about having the latest tech so maybe that's also an option if you want access to F24

"That shows the limit of my knowledge of things Apple" I wouldn't be bothered by that if I were you....just look at my question to make up for it 😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, melmerby said:

Same here

A cheap Android tablet running 5 or later will work with the Hornby app.

One of my daughters had a new phone not so long ago in uni, she still has her old one (not that old 😂) I might ask her if she fancies donating it to her old dad.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

No, a MacBook runs MacOS 😉

Though Apple Silicon Macs are capable of running IOS apps, here is the HM6000. Though the HM7000 isn't listed.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 17.49.06.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tim123 said:

Though Apple Silicon Macs are capable of running IOS apps, here is the HM6000. Though the HM7000 isn't listed.

Mines an M1 Chip. 2023, I'm running Sonoma 14.4.1, worst upgrade there has been so far IMHO, just as a sideline.

Some independent apps will run, but that's only if the company who developed it has opted in for it to run on both platforms.

You do get the option to see it come up on iPad etc etc option, but obviously it's still no good.

It does say it's not suitable, and is greyed out, as you would expect.

I was hoping there might be an app emulator, as I also run MS Windows using one, but that still wouldn't work with it anyway.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 17.49.06.png

Mines

15 minutes ago, negativepitch said:

I was hoping there might be an app emulator, as I also run MS Windows using one, but that still wouldn't work with it anyway.

There are various emulators around and this link describes some of them.

8 Best iOS Emulators For PC (Windows And Mac) To Run iOS Apps (fossbytes.com)

And these will allow you to run Android apps within Windows.

The best Android emulators for PC and Mac of 2024 - Android Authority

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

There are various emulators around and this link describes some of them.

8 Best iOS Emulators For PC (Windows And Mac) To Run iOS Apps (fossbytes.com)

And these will allow you to run Android apps within Windows.

The best Android emulators for PC and Mac of 2024 - Android Authority

Cheers for that, I'll have a look 👍