WR 1980s grey

Hi,

anyone know a colour to recreate the awning here ? WR seemed to paint a lot of stations and stuff in this bluey grey 

Not my photo 

IMG_0141.png

• RMweb Premium

I woul djust check Humbrol and Revell paint charts, I have some paint of that colour, I think Revell.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Hi,

anyone know a colour to recreate the awning here ? WR seemed to paint a lot of stations and stuff in this bluey grey 

Not my photo 

IMG_0141.png

Based on that photo i'd add a tiny hint of rail blue to roof grey.

• Like 2

The reproduction of your photo appears very blue on my screen. It was actually a mid- to dark grey. I tended to refer to it as 'battleship grey' - more US battleships than British. I did have a luggage label cupboard (from Burnham (Bucks)  which was painted that colour when I bought it but I repainted it and it has since gone to Llangollen. I always thought the grey shade was chosen as it matched the colour of diesel exhaust, so you couldn't see how filthy the valancing became! I'd say Omen Paints 'Roof Dirt' is a fair approximation of the shade, and it has a matt finish. Here's a shot of the grey at Reading General. Looking through my pictures I'm surprised how few stations actually got repainted in this grey - or maybe I just avoided photographing them. (CJL)

55992.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The two tone grey paint scheme is my memory of that era, and I used Humbrol Satin 164 (dark) & 128 (light) on Westonmouth Central. This photo was taken in bright sunlight, outdoors, which affects the colours a bit, but I'll let others judge how close I got.

2009_03_22WmthCen_0115b.jpg.1b76bff49a5e5d70663d1484b896a0b5.jpg

• Like 4

I think you might be onto something there Adrian, mind you finding humbrol may be a stretch these days .

This grey was certainly a Thames valley thing it seems, but various outposts found a tin too…. Here at Swansea ( not my photo )

IMG_0150.png