C69/C77 SURFACE STOCK

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hi all, a quick question on the District lines C stock. When new did the car ends have windows? Obviously the driving end did but I'm struggling to find pics which show the inner ends of the cars, in particular the trailers.

I bought some white metal coach ends on Ebay which I'm 99% sure are for C stock, but some have windows in and some dont. I'd like to model them in as built condition so I expect they will need filling in, but just need confirmation.

Thanks.

Edited by simon b

• RMweb Premium

The windows on intermediate ends were added when they were refurbished.

C-stock was built as 2-car units each with a cab at one end. 3 unit formed a train so there would always be one cab 'buried' in a set.

What I can't recall is whether there was any form of 'hostler' driving position at the non-cab end.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Thanks, I though the inner ends might be blank. I was doing some reading on them and it mentioned the shunting controls were added in the early 90's.

I've got enough ends for 5 cars, but it should't be too hard to scratch build a pair of blank inner ends to make a 6 car set, some of the others will need mods anyway.

spacer.png

Edited by simon b
pic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep, you've only got one true cab end there.

I'm not sure what the plainer ends with windows are meant to represent - they windows are the wrong shape for refurbished intermediate ends (as well as being the wrong shape for cab ends!):

21036 + 5588 - Northwood

Flickr has some good photos...

C-Mansion-Hse-LookDown 1975 -  C69's by the Goods Depot.. London Transport Underground C69 Stock Cars 5561 and 6561 at Paddington. 1971 - Old and New at Hammersmith.. Farringdon station in 1971 Hammersmith Depot 1985 (6)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for those pictures, google wasn't being very helpful today.

They are some odd shapes those windows arent they!  I'm hoping I can use filler and a file to reshape the windows on two of them to create a pair of cabs, the rest will just get filled in. There isnt a maker on them but I suspect they are "little bus company" castings. 

Posted (edited)

I have two different unmade sets at present: the LBC ones are, indeed, all resin for the body shells, whereas the Fleetline Models Electrifying Trains ones are a hotchpotch of materials, with white metal ends and brass and aluminium parts as well. Those white metal ends may possibly be of Fleetline Models Electrifying Trains origin, but I may be able to confirm once I can dig out the kits and take a photo or two.

Edit: I have photographed parts of one of the kits (which covers two cars) and it looks like the OP's items are the same as these, including the odd-shaped end windows on a non-driving end.

20240520_000751.jpg.94dc3daed2cf7d8a6d5a631a66a7d694.jpg

Edited by SRman
Additional info and photos added

• RMweb Premium

My first thought when seeing the original picture was that they were A stock ends rather than C stock but I'm probably wrong.