Piddle-Upon-Bog

br-nse-fan

Yes have you looked at the Sentinel £45 from Hattons and DCC fitted. 

Where do you see that it is DCC fitted?  I just checked the Hattons site, and (unless I am blind) did not see anything to that effect?

I wouldn't worry too much about the livery of a private shunter Derek. I intend to do a late 90s layout and my Platform5 bible tells me Cobra Railfreight at Wakefield were using a hired in Class 11 or 12. For your period an 04 or Sentinel with a slap dash coat of paint plastered over the previous owners livery wouldn't look out of place.

C6T.

Just received the latest additions to my fleet, courtesy of some 2nd hand items from Rails (usual disclaimer).

I just received a BR Blue Class 40 and a BR Blue Class 45. The 45 is the one with the stripe on the lower body side and a white roof.  I don't have any photo's at the moment, but can add shortly.

I must say, I always knew these were large engines, but I did not realize just how large.  Buffer to buffer, they are both longer than a Class 50.  Impressive!  Good thing I don't have anything tighter than a 22" radius!

Although these classes were, as far as I can find, never allocated to the Western region... let alone the Southern... they were occasionally seen in the West and as such I can use them as interregional specials :)  The Class 40 on a passenger special also gives me an excuse to finish painting my old Hornby 25 as a BR Blue ETHEL due to the lack of electric heating equipment on these machines.

Ok.. so... back to my cement works loco.  I'm kinda weighing some options.. all of them good and valid.

It was suggested to me, that in addition to the class 03 and 14, that another option is a class 17.  There was at least one of these that was sold off into private use by 'Ribble Cement'.  A 17 is a little larger than what I originally had in mind... but that got me thinking.

Here is a (very) rough sketch of the area that will have the cement works...

post-7599-0-09776300-1372365093_thumb.png

So... my original idea was to have a pair of 20's haul the cement tanks off the main line and into platform 2.  They would then run around, and each loco would take half the train up the branch to Castle Isle.  Once at Castle Isle they would be released from the train, and the shunter would take the tanks to the cement works.  The 20's would be held at the siding until the tanks are ready for the return trip.

The other option, would be to have the tanks brought into platform 2 as before, but instead of being brought up the branch by a BR loco, a private loco (class 17) would be waiting in the station, ready for the hand off.  The 17 would then take the train up the branch, and shunt the tanks into the cement works from the loop at Castle Isle.

Thoughts, comments or suggestions?

Just got my cement works in the mail.. I have to admit that I am a little underwhelmed by the quality of the products...  the biggest disapointment is the chemical silo that is visibly bent.  It was not damaged in transit from the UK as there is no visible damage to the box or package that it was sent in.  Beside, if it was damage, it would not be firmly glued in place...

post-7599-0-07745200-1372391781_thumb.jpgpost-7599-0-53849200-1372391759_thumb.jpg

I don't know about you, but that does not look very straight to me...

Anyway, that aside, it's a fairly impressive setup.  I've created a mock layout to get an idea of spacing.  I will be adding a small office, and the engine shed in the back is there as a placeholder for the wagon loading tower I have on order with my local supplier.  The engine shed will be used in the complex by whatever loco I end up with as the shunter.

The flat piece of plastic is the loading platform that is part of the Peco goods depot.  This will be for VDA's, etc picking up packaged cement products.  I will also be including an open loading dock for loading OCA's and the like with bulk bags of cement.

As I seem to have the space, I may even include a small factory of sorts... something to provide all the various products to be shipped out.

The actual cement complex will be on an upper level, with a back scene around it to seperate it from the rest of the layout so as to give the apperance that it is not right next door to the TMD.

post-7599-0-04495400-1372391987_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-43343000-1372392029_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-38197800-1372392263_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-84598700-1372392280_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading!

• 2 months later...

Hello All

It's been a while since I've been able to get anything done on the layout.. let alone run anything!

Although not pictured, I have added a Woodland Scenics 2% incline kit for the eventual branch line up to the 2nd level.  I'll see if I can get some pics of that later.

I was able to get the final platforms 5 & 6 installed, as well as some protective plastic sheets. Just in case of mishap or little fingers!

post-7599-0-38884500-1380032050_thumb.jpg

I also got a start on my multiple unit storage.  5 dedicated lines for EMU's and DMU's...

post-7599-0-20833000-1380032104_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-51837000-1380032111_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-23990400-1380032141_thumb.jpg

Bachmann 416, Hornby 423, Bachmann 411 and Bachmann 159*

post-7599-0-19305500-1380032151_thumb.jpg

As the 159's are a little newer than my chosen era, the sole example is actually a prototype on trial runs... hence the different livery!

Coming along nicely Del. Will you put in some Ratio/Scenecraft raised walkways between the unit storage roads and scenic it à la Tonbridge?

Like your man cave BTW, organised confusion!

C6T.

Thanks!

No scenery, this is strictly 'off -scene' storage.  Trains leave Piddle-Upon-Bog and head off to Bournemouth (or some other Southern region terminus).  I'll actually be building a station above the storage, hence why the lines are dedicated for MU's... or possibly a push pull arrangement (come on Bachmann... bring us a 4-TC!), that way I don't need access to swap the loco around the other end of the train.

by the way... who's Del?  ;)

• 1 month later...

Some great modelling going on here, love the line up of EMU's and 159!! Also, great information in relation to the kadee's, this is something that I have been puzzling over for a while as dont want tension locks and 3 links dont tend to work too well on tight curves (especially when propelling)

keep up the good work... looks like a cracking set up you have there!

mike

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All

While my layout has been largly dormant for the last couple months, due to a multitude of personal matters (2nd child, loosing and gaining employment), I did have a good operating session last weekend at my parents place and thought you might enjoy some photo's of some new stock.  I found a gentleman who is getting out of OO (changing to O), and as such was selling off his collection at a drastically reduced price.  I was able to pick up the following for $250 USD including postage from the US to Canada...

Hornby GWR King Henry II

Hornby GWR Railcar

Bachmann 8750 Pannier

Bachmann 56xx 'Taffy Tank'

Bachmann 4575 Prairie

Bachmann 45xx Prairie

Bachmann GWR Conflat, GW 12t Vent Van (2), Mainline GW 12t Fruit Van, GW Crocodile (2)

Here are some photo's of them in action:

• 4 months later...

Just received the latest additions to my fleet, courtesy of some 2nd hand items from Rails (usual disclaimer).

I just received a BR Blue Class 40 and a BR Blue Class 45. The 45 is the one with the stripe on the lower body side and a white roof.  I don't have any photo's at the moment, but can add shortly.

I must say, I always knew these were large engines, but I did not realize just how large.  Buffer to buffer, they are both longer than a Class 50.  Impressive!  Good thing I don't have anything tighter than a 22" radius!

Although these classes were, as far as I can find, never allocated to the Western region... let alone the Southern... they were occasionally seen in the West

As far as I know, class 45's were regular visitors to the Western reigion.

Just got my cement works in the mail..

Is that a kit or a ready to place item, if so I would be interested in owning one myself!!!!!!!

Sorry I haven't found this thread sooner, what a great flowing layout, with plenty of interest. Like mine though, quite time consuming to work on I bet???

Altogether though, a nice project, a follower now

Jinty ;-)

As far as I know, class 45's were regular visitors to the Western reigion.

Is that a kit or a ready to place item, if so I would be interested in owning one myself!!!!!!!

Sorry I haven't found this thread sooner, what a great flowing layout, with plenty of interest. Like mine though, quite time consuming to work on I bet???

Altogether though, a nice project, a follower now

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty

The cement works is a Bachmann offering from a few years ago.  I had to piece it together from numerous retailers as I was unable to find a single one who had all the parts.  I've packed all my stuff pending a move in a couple weeks, so I can't get the part numbers, but if you consult the great oracle (google), you should be able to find all the details.

Kids have been keeping me far too busy lately, in fact the layout has stood untouched for well over 6mo.  I think it was a tad too big to be worked on effectively.  Once I've moved, I'll be building a new one, just not so elaborate... hopefully, the new one will get further along than this one did.

Archived