Aegis - Controllers

Hi

I'm looking at getting the Aegis system to upgrade to a 5amp system, I have both the powercab and cab06, can I run both of these on the unit by plugging in the cab06 to the cab main socket and the power cab wirelessly or do I need an apha or NCE UTP panel for the cab06.

I have downloaded the manual and it only shows that you can plug the cab06 at the back.

image.png.5f4fc845ba3a2100484232fbd3f5e291.png

Thanks

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, regme said:

Hi

I'm looking at getting the Aegis system to upgrade to a 5amp system, I have both the powercab and cab06, can I run both of these on the unit by plugging in the cab06 to the cab main socket and the power cab wirelessly or do I need an apha or NCE UTP panel for the cab06.

I have downloaded the manual and it only shows that you can plug the cab06 at the back.

Thanks

@Cofga has you tube video on these

he is probably the man to answer your question

I did, they just sent me the picture above, hence why I'm asking here.  Although, I'm thinking that the front panel is only for the one Powercab whether it's wireless or plugged in.  Any additional handsets have to be plugged in from the back or via a Alpha or UTP panel.

I was thinking of up grading to a 5amp smart booster, then the guy at the hobby shop mentioned the Aegis System.  I like the idea of the built in circuit breaker and being wireless. 

However I already a circuit breaker (DCC Specialties PSX-1) and the layout is on 4m long so wireless is nice but not necessary, so the SB5 smart booster was my first option until the guy at the hobby shop mentioned the Aegis.

I'm trying to work out which is the better way to go since the Aegis is about $300 more extensive.

On 27/05/2024 at 16:29, regme said:

Hi

Thanks

In order to use additional wired throttles such as the Cab06 or other NCE throttles the primary PowerCab must be plugged into the base unit cab port as shown in the diagram. I have used a Cab06, a 20 year old NCE compatible throttle, and a wireless throttle (connected with usb interface through JMRI). The reason for this is the Aegis wireless interface is unidirectional so throttles connected as shown above cannot communicate with the primary PowerCab when it is connected via the Aegis wireless interface. When it is plugged into the cab port on the Aegis base unit then they all work fine. The wired throttles such as the Cab06 can all be plugged into either a DCCconcepts Alpha panel as shown above or an NCE panel. I have both installed on my Teignbury module. Hope this answers your questions—Larry

Hi Larry

Thanks for that, just so I have it clear the main cab port on the front of the unit is only for the power cab, whether it's connected directly or wireless.

Any additional handsets have to be connected at the back or via Alpha panel or NCE UTP panel.

Cheers

Hi

Just an update on this, it turns out that the front ports are only for the Powercab whether it's connected or run wireless.  All other handset are connected via the back ports or an Alpha or UTP panel.

Unfortunately, my layout is only 4m by 1.2m and I have enough cable on the handset to reach, without going wireless, it would be nice but mot really required for the extra $.

So my way forward to the SB5 smart booster.

Thanks everyone

• Like 1