Spray or brush painting?

As an ex mechanic and body shop assistant I would say that has been spray painted the main reasons, it can be done in a fraction of the time that brushing would take and it would cost a fraction of the cost in materials and man power.

Pete

Looking at the picture of Lyd on the Ffestiniog, see link, I was wondering if the paint is sprayed or brushed on. If brushed, how is the super smooth finish achieved? And can brush painting of a model give similar results?

http://www.welshhigh...ticle&artid=407

Geoff.

I have to agree with Pete, most likely sprayed. It could be brush painted using a fine quality "panel-brush" and enamels thinned with either turpentine or thinner with some oil added to enhance the flow of the paint.

I wouldn´t try brush painting a model if you´ll like to have the same gloss result.

An Airbrush would result in a much nicer work (even a spraycan would be better).

Yeah looks sprayed to me too.

On another note though, brush painting models is not as bad as it seems to be made out by some people. Many years ago, and even now in certain situations I completely brush painted my models. About 15 years ago all of my loco and stock repaints were brushed using railmatch paints and if done patiently and carefully a perfect finish is possible. Its down to the paint, quality of brush and the hand that does it. I don't have the evidence now to back me up but my finishes back then were as good as a sprayed finish (Railmatch was excellent back then for brushing, I dont find it so good these days, maybe they thin it more for the airbrush market I duuno). Another problem really is masking, with a brush it is harder to stop the paint leaking under the tape. Its a wetter process and the edge seems to suck the paint in as well as the brush pushing it under!!

Having said that I do spray nowadays!! biggrin.gif

Cav

Archived