SPROG II with SU LokPilot 3.0

Rob F

I am having a problem reading the CV values from an ESU LokPilot 3.0, fitted in a Bachmann NRM Deltic, with my Sprog II. Whenever I try to read from the loco (using DecoderPro) I get an error saying that no loco is detected. However, if I output values to the the chip they are programmed successfully. Anyone any ideas as what may be going on?

I know the Sprog is working as I can read and write values from my other locos, the majority of which have a Lenz chip of some sort installed.

Thanks

Rob

I am having a problem reading the CV values from an ESU LokPilot 3.0, fitted in a Bachmann NRM Deltic, with my Sprog II. Whenever I try to read from the loco (using DecoderPro) I get an error saying that no loco is detected. However, if I output values to the the chip they are programmed successfully. Anyone any ideas as what may be going on?

I know the Sprog is working as I can read and write values from my other locos, the majority of which have a Lenz chip of some sort installed.

Thanks

Rob

Forgive me but is this a sound decoder? What DP decoder file are you using? R U using a Bachmann chip? If so it is not the same as the ESU Lokpilot which, in turn, is non sound.

Andrew above is the expert on the SPROG but do remember that there needs to be an accurate DP file first and there are HUNDREDS of CV's in a sound decoder.

It has just got worse I'm afraid. Now the Sprog won't respond at all in Decoder Pro. Even when I try to get it to tell me the firmware version I get an error saying there was no response. The PC detects the Sprog as it is present in Device Manager and detected on COM10 by Decoder Pro but I cannot communicate with it at all. The power LED is on but the other LED (where it says USB) stays off. It is a SPROG II USB and I have had it about 3.5 years but as it won't talk to me anymore I cannot give you the exact firmware revision. I updated JMRI to 2.10 but it didn't make any difference.

I am not sure this is linked to the ESU problem as whilst I was having that issue the Lenz equipped locos responded perfectly. The LokPilot 3.0 is not a sound chip.

Any ideas?

ROB

It has just got worse I'm afraid. Now the Sprog won't respond at all in Decoder Pro. Even when I try to get it to tell me the firmware version I get an error saying there was no response. The PC detects the Sprog as it is present in Device Manager and detected on COM10 by Decoder Pro but I cannot communicate with it at all. The power LED is on but the other LED (where it says USB) stays off. It is a SPROG II USB and I have had it about 3.5 years but as it won't talk to me anymore I cannot give you the exact firmware revision. I updated JMRI to 2.10 but it didn't make any difference.

I am not sure this is linked to the ESU problem as whilst I was having that issue the Lenz equipped locos responded perfectly. The LokPilot 3.0 is not a sound chip.

Any ideas?

ROB

This sounds like a USB problem. you might try connecting the SPROG and going into device manager to check that COM10 is actually transmitting and receiving data. If it isn't, you might try reloading the drivers and/or trying the USB lead on another piece of kit.

When you downloaded a newer version of DP you cancel out all your previous settings so the software is no longer communicating with the SPROG.

Try resetting the preferences in JMRI/DecoderPro by selecting a different interface device, save/quit, then trying to select the Sprog again.

The upgrade to 2.10 should be seemless (mine have been fine working their way through the various test releases and the developers code drops). But its always possible that something got scrambled along the way.

Stage 1 should be to get Sprog working again with known to be OK locos, such as your Lenz ones. Then go back to why the ESU decoder is giving problems.

- Nigel

I deleted the connection to the Sprog in DecoderPro, saved and exited and setup a new connection. Still the same problem, the sprog is present in Device Manager under USB controllers and as a port COM10. DecoderPro detects the Sprog is connected butcannot communicate with it. If I query the firmware version I get a "No Response" error. If I go into Service Mode Programmer and tryto ident a decoder it says "Stopping dueto error, timeout talking to command station (306)". The USB lead is fine. This is not an issue 2.10 as I had the same problem with 2.8.

If it turns out the Sprog has a fault, are they repairable?

ROB

More info, I have done a clean install of JMRI and the Sprog drivers on a different PC and get exactly the same errors. Is it safe to assume the unit is faulty and start talking to the manufacturer?

ROB

Rob,

swap the USB lead if you haven't already tried that. I've known dodgy USB leads cause problems with other model railway interface boxes.

Beyond that, its looking like a Sprog problem; talk to the maker. The Sprog probably has to go back for attention. In my experience, Andrew Crosland (Mr Sprog) gives excellent support.

- Nigel

Rob,

swap the USB lead if you haven't already tried that. I've known dodgy USB leads cause problems with other model railway interface boxes.

Beyond that, its looking like a Sprog problem; talk to the maker. The Sprog probably has to go back for attention. In my experience, Andrew Crosland (Mr Sprog) gives excellent support.

- Nigel

Nigel, thanks. I used a different USB lead on the second PC with the same result so I will get in touch with Andrew.

Many thanks to all who responded.

ROB

• 4 weeks later...

Just to say that after a chat with the makers, they took it back, worked some magic and now it works perfectly. All done without charge, so excellent service from a company supporting one of their products that was well out of any warranty it ever had.

ROB

• RMweb Premium

Just to say that after a chat with the makers, they took it back, worked some magic and now it works perfectly. All done without charge, so excellent service from a company supporting one of their products that was well out of any warranty it ever had.

ROB

Glad to hear it was sorted out OK.

When something like this happens it's always worth double checking first in Device Manager under "Serial Ports" that Windows has allocated the COM port number you expected.

I recently had a problem in Windows when JMRI wouldn't connect to either Sprog or Lenz USB interfaces after previously working fine.

They were originally COM1 & COM2 but for some reason Windows has now made them COM4 & COM5.

Keith

Glad to hear it was sorted out OK.

When something like this happens it's always worth double checking first in Device Manager under "Serial Ports" that Windows has allocated the COM port number you expected.

I recently had a problem in Windows when JMRI wouldn't connect to either Sprog or Lenz USB interfaces after previously working fine.

They were originally COM1 & COM2 but for some reason Windows has now made them COM4 & COM5.

Keith

That wasn't the case in this instance, the Sprog has always been on COM10 and that didn't change.

ROB

Archived