Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Glen Gillie, Loch Inch & Bridge of Muir

trains12

Hi all

Here are a few shots of the completed trackwork todate including the two points I made the other day for the goods yard.

Also shot is the building that I made some 15 years ago, but never finished, based on Kyle station. I am thinking of using this one on a centre platform instead of having two platforms. If I do this I will move the location of the line further up into the Highlands instead of around West Scotland.

Peter

post-6915-128308828491.jpg

post-6915-128308829293_thumb.jpg

post-6915-128308829959_thumb.jpg

post-6915-128308830537_thumb.jpg

post-6915-128308831129.jpg

post-6915-12830883185.jpg

post-6915-128308832615.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all

Today has had the sun out so I have manage to cut most of the timber for the base boards while cutting other timber for other jobs that I am doing for members of RM web.

Peter

post-6915-128318063397.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

The finished pointwork looks superb and the station building looks great,I am certainly enjoying watching the progress you are making with this.

Colin

Hi Colin

Thanks for comments. I am still not certain if I am going to use the station building or make the lines severed by to platforms and make a stone type staion building on one side and a stone waiting room on the other plateform.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi all

Today has had the sun out so I have manage to cut most of the timber for the base boards while cutting other timber for other jobs that I am doing for members of RM web.

Peter

Hi Peter

Nice to see some action going on done at the unit, I do hope those are my board, as its been a long time in the making of this NEW, or is that OLD now... Layout of mine... LOL...Haha

Great photos matey, and great to see you out and doing something more constructive, while we have the SUN SHINE to do it in...

I'll be down to give you an hand... at about 10'ish in the morning...!!!

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi all

Well today has been spent with Jamie down at the unit cutting timber, gluing up parts of base boards etc. Came to start assembly of the first two baseboards 4ft x 2ft 6in and found that I have cut the ply for the cross members at 2ft only (this was done when cutting timber for another members layout that is 2ft wide.) so I will have to get some more ply and cut more cross members. There is something in the motto measure twice and cut once.

The other news is that at last a decision has been made on the length of the layout. It is now 16ft long plus a four foot fiddle / selector plate yard.

Will keep you all update over the next few days on progress.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi all

Well today has been spent with Jamie down at the unit cutting timber, gluing up parts of base boards etc. Came to start assembly of the first two baseboards 4ft x 2ft 6in and found that I have cut the ply for the cross members at 2ft only (this was done when cutting timber for another members layout that is 2ft wide.) so I will have to get some more ply and cut more cross members. There is something in the motto measure twice and cut once.

The other news is that at last a decision has been made on the length of the layout. It is now 16ft long plus a four foot fiddle / selector plate yard.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi all

Peter

Hi Peter

We had a great day makinh Base Boards and loved every minute of it Peter, When I get chance I'll upload some Photos of todays activity or better still i'll wait for the week end and upload some Good Base Board Photos of the step by step.

I'll have to think about starting my own RMWeb section and photos of my new Layout that you are helping me make, just got to think of a name for the layout.

Good days work in all Peter, and I look forward to tomorrows activities...

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi all

Well it has been a hive of activity down at the unit again today and the results can bee seen in the following shots. The view shows base boards that are being made for five layouts. Glen Gillie, the extension to Porth Eithin called Wheat Isaf Torr, Jamie’s two layouts, and for a fellow RM web member down in South Wales.

On Glen Gillie the boards of the station approach and the station area should be ready for track laying in about two to three weeks time on the. Just after the Model Rail Live show. In the mean time work has restarted on the distillery building.

Peter

post-6915-128363149924.jpg

post-6915-128363150889.jpg

post-6915-128363151817.jpg

post-6915-128363152718.jpg

post-6915-12836315368.jpg

post-6915-128363154686.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Peter

Looks like a lots of work on your hands there kid...

Loads of advancement done by the looks of that Peter...

When will we be seeing baseboards and Track layouting for Glen Gillie...?

Keep the photos coming matey...

Jamie

• Like 1

Wow, is that your workshop?

Hi Jack

That is one of them. In fact it is really the shop for Railways Unlimited and Cheona Publishing but we also use for my exhibition layouts and for building layouts for customers. The other one is at the home in the large barn but at present there is a problem with a wall and roof so most of the work is done down at the shop unit.

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

It’s a while since I posted any update on Glen Gillie but some work has been done on the main distillery building. Some of the exterior piping from the still room and the boiler room has been completed. Have been trawling the web to find photos of this type of pipe work but there are few shots of it, so much of this is what I feel it would be. It consists mainly of the steam heating pipes from the boiler room to the drying loft rooms, (on the other section of the building not shown) and the heating pipes and water pipe works to the still room. Coming from the still room is a small dia. pipe carrying the whisky to the bottling / filling room. I don’t know if this is correct what I do know is that it would be stainless steel 18/8 grade most likely lagged.

If anyone knows different please let me know.

The other item which is under way is the chimney for the boiler house. I have made this rather ornate with the corner stones in keeping with the rest of the building. It is made from a 1inch sq. section of Balsa wood tapered down by saw and then clad with the stone plastikard and finished off at the corners with Wills corner stones. The top is yet to be finished.:rolleyes:

Will keep you posted.

Peter

post-6915-021749200 1284542150_thumb.jpg

post-6915-092898400 1284542156_thumb.jpg

post-6915-051961000 1284542164_thumb.jpg

post-6915-001877200 1284542171_thumb.jpg

post-6915-064060400 1284542178_thumb.jpg

post-6915-012124200 1284542215_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Those buildings are coming along nicely. Are they based on a real distillery or from photos in books?

Cheers Paul

Hi all

Most of the research for the models comes mainly from two sources. One is from first hand experiences and viewing of items or locations. When ever I go out I take my cameras with me and shoot items, buildings etc. that may one day be of use in making a model. To this end I have built up a collection of about 80,000 plus slides, photos , together with items that I have obtained at shops swap meets and of course EBay.

The other area is my collection of books, plans drawings, acts, articles and other items which is Known as The Railway Study Centre collection. This is housed in my study room.

Nothing can really beat seeing the area that you intend to model or base a model on.

Peter

post-6915-061399900 1285182688_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Peter,

I'm so blown away by the pics - the flowing track really is very sexy! The buildings have put me in mind of the Nevis Bridge distillery in Fort William which was served by a small siding. (The buildings are now flats and holiday lets I think, and I remember someone making a great model of it that was featured in the Modeller about 15 years ago). What period are you planning to model by the way?

Gus

PS Also jealous of your facilities!

• Like 1

Peter,

I'm so blown away by the pics - the flowing track really is very sexy! The buildings have put me in mind of the Nevis Bridge distillery in Fort William which was served by a small siding. (The buildings are now flats and holiday lets I think, and I remember someone making a great model of it that was featured in the Modeller about 15 years ago). What period are you planning to model by the way?

Gus

PS Also jealous of your facilities!

Hi Gus

Period of modelling from the early 60's thru to present day but only problem being Blue era as have very few blue era stock and engines

Peter

• Like 1