Street running in N gauge

Patrick

• RMweb Gold

Just wondering if anyone has any links to US-outline N gauge layouts featuring street running? Still forming ideas for my own 1960s-'70s Union Pacific layout and this is a feature I'd like to include (along with urban decay of a Bleeker St/Sin City nature). Can't seem to find anything online...

• RMweb Gold

It's not suitable track I'm trying to locate... just photos of N gauge layouts I can use for inspiration. ;)

As far as the track is concerned, I'm hoping to adopt the method used by John Pryke, as featured in his book 'Building City Scenery For Your Model Railroad'.

It's not suitable track I'm trying to locate... just photos of N gauge layouts I can use for inspiration. ;)

As far as the track is concerned, I'm hoping to adopt the method used by John Pryke, as featured in his book 'Building City Scenery For Your Model Railroad'.

Here's just the ticket - Bill Denton's Kingsbury Branch in N Scale

More photo's on the ChicagoSwitching site - see Bill Denton's Kingsbury Branch in N Scale

I know I was impressed when I first saw this layout presented in Model Railroading - N Scale Urban Railroading :blink:

Gil, known as Bill somedays ... B)

• RMweb Gold

Here's just the ticket - Bill Denton's Kingsbury Branch in N Scale

More photo's on the ChicagoSwitching site - see Bill Denton's Kingsbury Branch in N Scale

I know I was impressed when I first saw this layout presented in Model Railroading - N Scale Urban Railroading :blink:

Gil, known as Bill somedays ... B)

Thanks Gil! Exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for :)

• RMweb Gold

Wow I remember that layout now!! I'd forgotten it was N scale, too. Superb stuff...

Me too - all I could remember was "there's that cracking N layout which I've seen in photos" but I was none the wiser about what the name was or where to suggest looking. I shall enjoy perusing that link...

It's not suitable track I'm trying to locate...

Sorry, my mistake!

I can think of several HO layouts that would qualify and some Japanese N (albeit usually trams) but I'm finding it hard to think of any in US N. The pictures of the Kingsbury Branch are pretty amazing though :)

A bit of Googling turned up some interesting plans of an intentded layout based on the Alameda Belt Line. I've driven around this area quite a lot (I have a friend who lives in Alameda) and even now it's an amazing rat run of freeways, ground level streets, container yards and sharp curves. SF not UP though...

http://home.earthlink.net/~hendoweb/ohb/

more prototype info: http://modelrailroading.wordpress.com/2008/08/11/ghosts-of-the-alameda-belt-line/

Again, not quite what you were after, but hopefully a bit closer :)

Will

It isn't N gauge - but for inspiration can I recommend a DVD - "Street Running in HO gauge on the City Edge layout" from Smith Digital Productions - super value and great modelling if you are interested in that subject. I believe there is an extract on Youtube

EDIT - Googling "Youtube" and then putting "Street Running on City Edge layout" in the search box will find several extracts - here is one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyk8CqFPmc4

Just wondering if anyone has any links to US-outline N gauge layouts featuring street running? Still forming ideas for my own 1960s-'70s Union Pacific layout and this is a feature I'd like to include (along with urban decay of a Bleeker St/Sin City nature). Can't seem to find anything online...

Are you thinking of a paved, urban switching district, or a length of street running (the DVD of the same name is worth a look).

BTW, were you at Modelrail Glasgow in 2007, where someone made you operate their HO traction layout...?

• RMweb Gold

Beware, urban modelling soaks up a lot of time. I've been involved with Copenhagen Fields since the start of the project in 1983, where we started with a section that had less railway & more buildings because we felt that might be an easier intro to the project...!

However this is a superb resource for US building information, photos, drawings etc.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/habs_haer/index.html

Do pay attention to getting inset track right. One of my pet peeves is nicely modelled inset track, except when you look into the rail groove, you can see right down to the baseboard and unpainted track. I think it's worth ballasting and painting these areas before laying the road surface, at the very least painting a dark subdued colour.

Mark.

In the context of street running, while the photos in the link are HO, I've discovered that Classic Metal Works has a monthly feature where they will give you a US$75 gift certificate if they pick you as their modeler of the month. See http://www.classicmetalworks.com/site/hobbyist.php My work made their July choice. CMW also makes N vehicles, of course, so have at it.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, my mistake!

I can think of several HO layouts that would qualify and some Japanese N (albeit usually trams) but I'm finding it hard to think of any in US N. The pictures of the Kingsbury Branch are pretty amazing though :)

A bit of Googling turned up some interesting plans of an intentded layout based on the Alameda Belt Line. I've driven around this area quite a lot (I have a friend who lives in Alameda) and even now it's an amazing rat run of freeways, ground level streets, container yards and sharp curves. SF not UP though...

http://home.earthlin.../~hendoweb/ohb/

more prototype info: http://modelrailroad...meda-belt-line/

Again, not quite what you were after, but hopefully a bit closer :)

Will

It isn't N gauge - but for inspiration can I recommend a DVD - "Street Running in HO gauge on the City Edge layout" from Smith Digital Productions - super value and great modelling if you are interested in that subject. I believe there is an extract on Youtube

EDIT - Googling "Youtube" and then putting "Street Running on City Edge layout" in the search box will find several extracts - here is one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyk8CqFPmc4

Thanks for those recommendations, folks! :)

Are you thinking of a paved, urban switching district, or a length of street running (the DVD of the same name is worth a look).

BTW, were you at Modelrail Glasgow in 2007, where someone made you operate their HO traction layout...?

I'm not entirely sure yet. Shortliner emailed me a couple of trackplans for interchange yards some time ago which may provide the basis of what I'll do. More than likely the street running will amount to nothing more than providing access to a couple of rail-served industries - although having read the 'Unusual US Track Layouts' thread I was very taken by the feature Trisonic was originally looking for ("...where the turnout goes off to the left but then crosses the line back over to a tight right to get between buildings...") so it's something I'd like to incorporate.

Re. Modelrail Glasgow 2007 - nope, that wasn't me.

Just had a mooch around the old version of RMWeb and dug up the thread where I first mooted this project: Going Over to the Dark Side. Nearly had a coronary when I looked at the dates and realised that little discussion took place two years ago! :O

Beware, urban modelling soaks up a lot of time. I've been involved with Copenhagen Fields since the start of the project in 1983, where we started with a section that had less railway & more buildings because we felt that might be an easier intro to the project...!

However this is a superb resource for US building information, photos, drawings etc.

http://memory.loc.go...haer/index.html

Do pay attention to getting inset track right. One of my pet peeves is nicely modelled inset track, except when you look into the rail groove, you can see right down to the baseboard and unpainted track. I think it's worth ballasting and painting these areas before laying the road surface, at the very least painting a dark subdued colour.

Mark.

Thanks for that! Having seen Copenhagen Fields featured in the model press down through the years I can say it looks truly breathtakking.

Don't worry, I'll be paying close attention to the inset track. In fact, it's something that's dealt with specifically in that John Pryke book I mentioned above. ;)

Archived