CIE Deutz Shunter from DC Kits

charliepetty

Yeah, stupid idea to do that. This leaves them unbalanced, which caused a bad accident involving 421, so CIÉ limited them to 25mph. Was there any advantage for a wheel arrangement like this?

Nothing intrinsically wrong with the "C" arrangement - diesels have been running on a pair of "C"s for decades!

If the Es/421s have a drivetrain anything like a "C" bogie, then I would have thought that there would be three traction motors, on driving each axle. The question is where the unbalancing (if any) occurred.

Nothing intrinsically wrong with the "C" arrangement - diesels have been running on a pair of "C"s for decades!

If the Es/421s have a drivetrain anything like a "C" bogie, then I would have thought that there would be three traction motors, on driving each axle. The question is where the unbalancing (if any) occurred.

Whatunderstand is that the unbalancment was caused by the C arrangement (which wasn't spread evenly), which in turned caused the locos to ride badly above a certain speed (they had a top speed of 60 mph), which in turn derailed the loco and/or the train.

I suppose that curves and points wouldn't help either

• 4 weeks later...

I took a look at Wikipedia, they had hydraulic transmission, presumably the torque converter was between the 2rd & 3rd axles hence the unequal wheelbase. Though as German, Italian and other builders have used a similar arrangement successfully, it doesn't explain the derailment issue.

They do look cool though, I just spotted a 00 body on Shapeways site.

All the best

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

HI guys,

Hollywood Foundry will certainly be able to help you out with a suitable chassis. Please find attached a few photos of my model of the E class. It's the shapeways body, with overlays for the rivet detail, fitted with a bullant chassis to the correct wheelbase, including the odd asymetric effect - it's 21mm gauge too! Not that I've any track to run it on at present.... Quite pleased with it, bar the cab windows, which could have come out better, but there you go....

Regards

Richard.

post-7813-0-38924600-1362597323_thumb.jpgpost-7813-0-10401400-1362597334_thumb.jpgpost-7813-0-10670100-1362597342_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived