REX modeller 171 August 2010

reevesthecat

Hi

this arrived today

Gareths first editorial on where are the coaches!

Brief news from Dapol and shawplan deltic parts

Modellers guide to Steel Coil traffic

Centre photo shots of upgraded 37501/2

Review of modelzone TPO

Upgrading the Dapol KIB

Mostyn page

Review of Bachmann JPA

And that's about it, no layout this month. Considering not renewing subscription when it comes up as none of this really 'floats my boat' and hasn't done for the last few months. To be fair this could be part of my general disenchantment with railway modelling at present and nothing to do with the mag.

Main feature in main mag is retrospectrum on infrastructure yellow livery, Irish railway feature 'before the axe fell'and all the usual stuff!

cheers

mark

Website has been updated now. I can't see it moving as the magazine name isn't changing. Also, the 'new' Limited Editions wing has a new website already so it seems to be them rather than the magazine that is moving website.

Will have my usual flick through in Smiths next time I can get into town but I haven't bought the last few. I like the main prototype part of the mag but not enough to buy it unless there is at least some modelling content that isn't just reviews or advertising that I can get online! Might depend on the steel coil article this month then.

It's interesting how the focus of this supplement has shifted in recent times away from even the early 1970s. Personally I feel this is to its detriment since there's nothing in the main mag' which appeals to this reader but some of the features in the supplement have proved useful in the past. This is not to say that it isn't well produced and full of lots of pretty pictures. Whether this is a conscious decision or not I wouldn't like to say and don't know but I'll be interested to see what the steel coil article is about. The REM blog suggests that it'll be all post 1980 unfortunately. Will have to pop into Smiths and see...

Adam

Archived