A shelf too far ...

Guest Austerity94

A long thin prototype which may be worth considering is Balloch to Balloch Pier .

Operation may be a bit limited but scenic possibilities are quite spectacular with Loch Lomond as a backdrop and "The Maid of the Loch" tied up alongside the station awaiting passengers.

Guest Austerity94

Hi again,

Working wagon turntables - now that's a thought ...

Balloch Pier - minimalism at its best. Places like Balloch, Helensburgh and Largs were day-trips as a child. If it was run as it is today (i.e. stopping well short of the pier) it would see an interesting variety of EMUs and a number of livery variations on SPT carmine & cream (pity they will all be in ScotRail 'Saltire' livery in the next couple of years). Back to blue/grey I think it could be a bit dull as it would mostly be classes 303/311, if I remember correctly. Like the idea of a pier with a station and some sort of cruise boat beside it.

Found another interesting plan in an old RM - 'Silvertown' (spelling?) in London. Layout on two levels with most of the traffic being freight on the upper level. Still plodding away with pencil and paper with scribbled ideas.

In practical terms, the alternative (to gain some extra needed width) may be to have another look at boxfile layouts, although Shortliner's idea around drawer runners or arms and hinges still has possibilities.

Again, many thanks for the input.

Regards,

Alex.

PS. If I had remained working in 'N' I could easily have built something like West Kirby, and to scale length too ... !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Austerity94

Hi again folks,

Some progress on the design front!

The layout will now be based in north London in around 1960 (plain green locos, especially classes 15 and 20, with some others such as 21 and 24 thrown in for variety). I am working on ways of reducing the gap between the tracks so as to look more accurate and have enough room for stock to move while also making the line seem longer. The design will be influenced by a plan from the RM, entitled 'Silvertown', and a recent layout in the RM too. Scenic items will be low-relief industrial and warehouse type buildings.

I do have some sketches but as my printer/scanner will no longer work under OSX 10.6 (although it worked under 10.5 without the latest patches) they'll have to wait until I replace the thing. All going well, I'll then try to move the thread over to a more appropriate part of the forum.

Again, thanks for ideas.

Regards,

Alex.

Archived