Bachmann Brand Strength

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

Following on from the announcement of the Blue Pullman from Bachmann, I had a follow on thought:

I'm beginning to wonder if the Kader buy out of the Sanda Kan factory has given Bachmann a shot in the arm, so to speak, as they do now appear to be the strongest brand in the more dedicated model railway manufacturing space for the UK. Hornby no doubt still have the strength of brand with the general public, but their dedication to that market and also their buy outs of several European manufacturers have perhaps taken out some of their strength in the more highly detailed model railway market here in the UK.

The announcements from Bachmann earlier in the year, compared to Hornby's, plus this announcement of the Blue Pullman, seem to suggest they have gained the upper hand...?

Following on from the announcement of the Blue Pullman from Bachmann, I had a follow on thought:

I'm beginning to wonder if the Kader buy out of the Sanda Kan factory has given Bachmann a shot in the arm, so to speak, as they do now appear to be the strongest brand in the more dedicated model railway manufacturing space for the UK. Hornby no doubt still have the strength of brand with the general public, but their dedication to that market and also their buy outs of several European manufacturers have perhaps taken out some of their strength in the more highly detailed model railway market here in the UK.

The announcements from Bachmann earlier in the year, compared to Hornby's, plus this announcement of the Blue Pullman, seem to suggest they have gained the upper hand...?

Healthy competition is good for everybody. Hornby is a market leader, so is Bachmann, sometimes one seems to have the edge, and sometimes the other. Hornby have managed some very useful strategic aquisitions in recent years with Jouef, Lima, Rivarossi, Airfix, Corgi etc, whilst Bachmann have a range of brands and scales worldwide, so neither are dependent solely on UK 00 scale.

I agree. But think that the purchase of Sanda Kan has mostly delivered more engineering and production capacity.

For me, Bachmann have always been the best value brand in the. great products at a great price.

I still love my Hornby Class 50's and 60's, but believe that the modern image items that Bachmann have delivered are more diverse, mainly better executed and are great value for money.

No doubt Margate is now frantically scrabbling to find the Blue Pullman tooling from yesteryear, which was slightly under scale if I remember right. But it is more than likely that the Branchline item will be a better value item and thus enhance the brand strength a little yet again.

On the Graham Farish RMweb page the Bachmann sales and marketing manager has made a common sense statement that cannot do the brands any harm. Am sure it was David Haarhaus who negotiated with ModelZone to produce the TPO, negotiated with Freightliner to produce the Class 70, introduced the Carnforth coaling tower and got Bachmann to make the 4 CEP, and presumably the EPB.

Am delighted that Bachmann are going to produce the Midland Pullman, I am very sure that the end product will be superior to anything else may be proposing, with enhanced electronics and better features. The Achilles heel of Bachmann was traditionally the 3 year wait for new products to arrive. However, this lead time seems to be coming down all the time. Further building some more credibility in the Bachmann brands.

The Achilles heel of Bachmann was traditionally the 3 year wait for new products to arrive. However, this lead time seems to be coming down all the time. Further building some more credibility in the Bachmann brands.

Yet still we wait for D211 class 40 with sound, wasn;t it announced in 2009 yet here we are half way through 2010 and its still not appeared yet I have heared it will be 2011 before it appears ? this is a previously produced model in recent years.

I believe the chassis is being re-enginered, lets hope when it does apear the white ,red and cab lights will be independantly controlable for those with DCC.

Yet still we wait for D211 class 40 with sound, wasn;t it announced in 2009 yet here we are half way through 2010 and its still not appeared yet I have heared it will be 2011 before it appears ? this is a previously produced model in recent years.

I believe the chassis is being re-enginered, lets hope when it does apear the white ,red and cab lights will be independantly controlable for those with DCC.

Still waiting for the green class 40 with sound now when was that announced 2009 if my memory is correct and i believe it is likely to be 2011 sometime in the middle as they are re en gineering the chassis, hope we will be able to control front (white) rear (red) and cab control lights from a decoderr if you use DCC.

John, not only is this not especially relevant to either of the discussions you've posted it in, but you already have a topic running about it here. Enough, please.

Cheers.

I still think Hornby are better at marketing Model Railways in general than Bachmann are. You won't find a Bachmann train set in Argos, Tesco, Amazon or any of the other catalogues at Christmas time but you will find lots of Hornby sets. For that reason Hornby in my opinion are brilliant at attracting newcomers to the hobby. To most outsiders if you mention model railways or train sets they immediately say Hornby.

Bachmann and Hornby compete in two distinctly different sectors of the OO market.

In terms of the general market, essentially train sets for kids, Hornby have a near total 'lock out' in the UK. Bachmann have a way to go to achieve anything approaching parity as competitors in this sector.

Amongst modellers, essentially accurate stuff for adults, Bachmann have it over Hornby, and all the other competitors. (In my opinion the decisive moment was when they introduced a 16T mineral bettering what the large majority of us can build from a good kit.)

That Hornby were pretty quick to respond with higher grade models when the success of the Bachmann product became evident, is some indication that the modeller sector is a significant size compared to the general market. But that said, my guess would be that Hornby's OO sales are an order of magnitude greater than Bachmann's. Any retailer willing to offer insight?

But that said, my guess would be that Hornby's OO sales are an order of magnitude greater than Bachmann's.

Withinn an individual shop, probably not - most shops that stock Bachmann keep stock levels about the same as Hornby in my experience, which would presumably indicate equal(ish) sales. However, Hornby is present in quite a few places where Bachmann isn't - notably your average toyshop (NB I know there are exceptions...). That's probably where their bigger market share presents itself.

The Hornby brand is the model trains hobby as far as Joe Public and Son are concerned and it's what they will ask for first. This isn't to say that Bachmann don't have a strong brand image, it's just they are not as deeply embedded culturally as Hornby are.

My personal preference will always be Bachmann over Hornby, simply because I prefer Bachmann loco's with blackened wheels etc, and Bachmann do far more models which appeal to my interest. Having said that, the last loco I bought was a Hornby Q1, and what a cracking model it is. I think whether one manufacturer has the upper hand over the other could be put down to the needs and viewpoint of the individual. To me, Bachmann have the upper hand because a class 105 is imminent, and I want a couple. To joe public who just want a trainset, Hornby are the ones. Heljan are coming up with the goods at the moment from my point of view. Falcon, Kestrel, Lion, class 15, class 23? ECML heaven!;)

I still think Hornby are better at marketing Model Railways in general than Bachmann are. You won't find a Bachmann train set in Argos, Tesco, Amazon or any of the other catalogues at Christmas time but you will find lots of Hornby sets. For that reason Hornby in my opinion are brilliant at attracting newcomers to the hobby. To most outsiders if you mention model railways or train sets they immediately say Hornby.

I'd say having trainsets in mainstream outlets suggests Hornby are very good at selling trainsets still, it doesn't follow that they are introducing more people to railway modelling. Its possible of course that some kits might in the future take up model railways but the recent Toy Story set had more in common with an action toy than a full on railway.

Hornby is making a lot of money out of these which bottom lines the more risky finescale stuff but I would still think the vast majority of these sets go into the attic or eBay a few months after xmas.

With the NRM models from Bachmann you might actually get as many people buying some track at York along wiht their model..

With the NRM models from Bachmann you might actually get as many people buying some track at York along wiht their model..

With the forthcoming Prototype Deltic trainset from Farish I think they have a sure fire impulse purchase for the NRM's customers.

For me Bachmann produce scale models......They go the extra mile with detail.

Hornby still cannot make its mind up. Example : Stanier 2-6-4T on Fowler chassis.....But where are the Stanier bevel rim wheels? On the otherhand, they go to great lengths to get LNER A1/A3 'Pacific' boilers correct, their locomotive lining out is the absolute tops, and extra electrical pick ups on Tenders makes their locos superb runners on any trackwork.

I'de like to see Bachmann put the extra pick-ups on Tenders. Their loco lining has already improved. good_mini.gif

I think to me, Bachmann's strength is the fact that they alone offer anything like a balanced range. OK, you can't necessarily match every loco in their range with spot-on correct stock, but it can't be far off. Added to that, the range is much wider than any competitor and comprises a higher proportion of everyday, useful types. Their introduction of decent models of staple types like (for instance) Mk1 coaches, WD 2-8-0 and 08 diesel moved BR modelling on in leaps and bounds.

Freight stock is a particularly good example. They could just 'do a Hornby', sit back and churn out the same old outdated wagons year after year, but they don't - they move the game on with successive releases. The Presflos were amazing, the new LNER highs even more so IMO (and whilst the Presflo bristles with detail, it's harder to make an impact with a humble open).

People are always ready to knock them, as we've recently seen, but without them, the 4mm hobby would be in a pretty poor state.

A thought provoking question. Thank you Ian.

The thread title says: "Brand Strength". There is no question that Hornby has better brand awareness in the UK.

If the question is "Company Strength" I have a couple of thoughts.

Bachmann don't own Sanda Kan. Kader Holdings does. Kader Holdings own multiple factories which in addition to supporting their own brands: Bachmann Branch Line, Liliput, Graham Farish, Williams by Bachmann, Bachmann (China and US) and Tinco Toys; they also perform contract manufacture for many competing US brands and of course Hornby. This makes a very complex business entity.

Reading tea leaves, Hornby seems to have very limited manufacturing slots. This observation is based amongst other things on delayed arrivals like "Tintagel Castle". The primary tools are done for this model. We have seen multiple Castles arrive in other guises yet we are still waiting for "Tintagel Castle". Why? My guess is that they have to wait for a manufacturing slot. (I don't know this for a fact and perhaps it is unfair/wrong to speculate.)

While Sanda Kan no doubt maintains their contractual committments to Hornby and others, perhaps Kader Holdings ownership of multiple factories gives Bachmann Branch Line the opportunity to commit to things like the "Blue Pullman" with more confidence.

There is no question that Bachmann Branch Line is more focused on the British outline modeller than is Hornby. Hornby Group is distracted by things like the "Toy Story 3" train set, fixing their European brands and managing Scalextric, Airfix, Corgi, plus now they are making diecast models of Wenlock and Mandeville - the London 2012 mascots - along with no doubt a slew of Corgi, London 2012 branded taxis and buses.

In their recent 2010 annual report Hornby states that they have added additional manufacturing to ease the supply chain issues that plagued them last year. Time will tell. They did not specify if these are contract manufacturers or corporate-owned.

Perhaps the intended question is "Who is the best supplier of 00 British outline models?"

For me Bachmann have a track record of reliability and good running locos. I currently have 20 Bachmann locos, the oldest being a class 25 which must be 12 years old and has never missed a beat, while all of the others run and run with zero maintenance. I have never had a Bachmann loco chassis crumble and bodyshell split which unfortunately is not the case with 2 locos I have owned from other manufacturers starting with "H". For me I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Bachmann loco tomorrow, I don't have that confidence with Hornby or Heljan.

• RMweb Premium

Even though Hornby might not appear to have the advantage in the 'modellers' market, so to speak, I do think they are capable of turning out some cracking good locos. The M7, Q1, King Arthur, class 60 are all good locos. When they put their mind to it they can do coaches to a better standard than Bachmann, as witnessed by the Maunsells, and looks to be the case with the Hawksworths.

If I were given the choice between a high detail modern standard BP by either Hornby or Bachmann, I think Hornby would win out just down to doing coaches better. For other subjects, particularly wagons, Hornby have let Bachmann get leaps and bounds ahead of them.

I do hope in the future that Hornby can resolve whatever ails their ability to produce more 'modellers' models. Also I hope that Heljan can get up to speed both with accuracy of their models first time with the kind of attentions to detail we're coming to expect (lighting, etc). I also hope Dapol's forays into 4mm with the 22 and Beattie Well Tank will come through well and encourage them to continue in the scale. But at the moment Bachmann do seem to have the edge.

Hi..

I think one of the bigest drawback with bachman is that they are still use 3 ploe motors. The last loco I brought ran like a old cuff cutter.. I replaced the motor with a 5 ploe motor whiched inproved the running 110%.

I just dcc'ed a Hornby Q1 for a mate and it ran so sweet and that was brand new never turned a wheel, can't do the with a Bachman loco.

Stuart in OZ

• RMweb Premium

Hi..

I think one of the bigest drawback with bachman is that they are still use 3 ploe motors. The last loco I brought ran like a old cuff cutter.. I replaced the motor with a 5 ploe motor whiched inproved the running 110%.

I just dcc'ed a Hornby Q1 for a mate and it ran so sweet and that was brand new never turned a wheel, can't do the with a Bachman loco.

Stuart in OZ

I disagree

I have dcc'd all my Bachmann locos when brand new and not run in and they all run perfectly OK straight out of the box.

I would concur that a 5-pole would be better but the Baccy's aren't too bad on their three pole motors.

Keith

I think that if your looking to get started in model railways then you start by opening red boxes, but after a while you find your interests broaden and that your after engines that arent named, so you move and find your opening boxes that are blue.

Hornby, Heljan, et al. are good companies, but the former has a pedigree and reputation that gives it a huge advantage when it is known to the general public. As some have mentioned, Hornby engines are for sale in shops that are more orientated towards just selling toys, and some chains just stock Hornby as its the one that the general public know and a brand brings trust. The public develop an unconscious affinity to the reputation of a brand, and trust that reputation over a period of time. Everyone trusts that Hornby make good trains, just like Rolls Royce make good cars, but it isnt always the case.

In the past Hornbys range has grown and encompassed toolings and models from companies that they have taken over. While Bachmann have done this too, Hornby seem to keep a broader range of older toolings from other companies in their ranges for longer. Things such as the Railroad range are, like previous Dapol toolings that were used for ages, an excuse to pass off a model as their own, but get it to hit the shops and generate sales. This is just market forces at work, and the company knows it can push this further, and which ones will sell and indeed some we still wanted at the time.

However, standards have now been raised, given the advances that manufacturing in China has brought and the DCC revolution which has meant that controlling things that have been added and now come in models as standard, is easier and thus modelling is more enjoyable. Bachmann have led the way in bringing new items to the fore, and although Hornby have been quick to follow in the section behind Bachmann, it still means the red team have work to do to equal them. Forays into EMU slam door stock, AC electric locomotives, and producing prototype locomotives as commissioned models have all been recent advancements from the company based in Leicestershire. Add that DCC is encouraged and evolving quicker in Bachmann locomotives and the difference in attitude between the two market leaders in the UK becomes all the more apparent. That things such as tail lighting control are being resolved slowly and that headlights that can be switched on using DCC control shows that Bachmann does listen to what more serious modellers want. DCC Sound has been a step change and forced grown adults to stop making the sound effects themselves - now Bachmann are adding a sound engine gradually to most of the fleet that they make over time, and if not then other companies are stepping into the role for modellers to finish this expensive side of the hobby. But even finer details are supplied - cast nameplates come as standard, extra detail packs are the same, and this shows attention to detail rather than skimping on the finer points. Bachmann supply a whole package of a model, and think about the process of what the modeller wants and enjoys.

Bachmann for me are the greater of the two, even if in more recent years the gap has narrowed as Hornby have attempted to reign in Bachmann by producing more high specification and detailed models, which in fairness do offer competition, such as the class 60, and Royal Scot, to name a few. Bachmann counter by producing more engines to a higher, or equal specification, meaning the modeller has a balanced fleet from across the range and not just top link models. While in diesel terms this has seen both locomotives and most 2nd generation sprinters covered, it means theres less room for what is left. Steam wise has seen midland and southern engines produced in various guises, while the western region seems in line for some too. A western branch line is all Bachmanns work, just about. Even if, this means that my beloved Eastern region hasn't got models yet, although they have the A2 forthcoming and owing to personal preference Im not going to get an 04, (the option is there) it doesnt mean my opinion of the company is deminished. Far from it.

I respect the Bachmann range and know that choosing what model comes next means that we all might want Bachmann to continue to broaden the range of high quality produce that the company makes. Scottish modellers want thier chosen engine, just as NER men may want a J21 or Q6, or someone else want a Somerset and Dorset engine to help model more of the cult followed railway. The list for this is endless. It doesnt mean that we dont like them either when they dont produce an engine we want - that we show disapointment is proof we'd rather it was them that made it, or even Hornby to show they can match Bachmann. (That Hornby are doing the L1 shows they might be taking on Bachmann in modelling less flamboyant classes...)

The Bachmann brand is stronger than some think, but it comes after experience in the hobby and grown from a respect of what they produce. Respect and admiration is harder for a company to gain - and hence customer loyalty to popular well made Bachmann engines, like a previous poster with a class 25.

As a result of all that, of which most is my humble opinion, I remain a satisfied and loyal Bachmann customer.

(sorry for it turning into an essay!)

Hornby are very good at selling trainsets .............

For me Bachmann produce scale models......They go the extra mile with detail.

Hornby still cannot make its mind up.

Those statements neatly summarise my view.

Hornby has the wider brand awareness but Bachmann has the upcoming brand (at least for modellers).

No matter a companies' size, it is in exactly the same boat as individuals who built model locos from scratch or design loco kits. Products are only as good as research.

If a proprietory company sends out people to crawl all over a preserved loco with a tape measure, this is only stage one. The next stage is to acquire scale drawings from various sources plus scores of photographs and then use the eyes to detect annomolies.

If this isn't done we end up nothing more than a scale model of one preserved loco. It is totally unrepresentative of any of the locos that ran between their building and scrapping apart from one!

Yes, technology has come a long way, but it is no substitute for the basic fundementals of modelling.

Larry

All extremely interesting reading. I think we are all the winners out of what is going on.

Personally I think that Bachmann leads and Hornby follows in the model rail stakes. The "B" rolling stock runns better and with more consistancy on my layout than "H". I generally have more Bachmann as they seem to have more of a range that interests me (LNER). As other members of this forum have seen on my layout the Hornby products generally don't run as well as Bachmann. I would say the QA is not quite as high for Hornby than for Bachmann. I have 5 A4/A3's only one A3 performs faultlessly the others have difficulties though are generally all the same age! I am reluctant to buy Hornby because of it! So yes in the generall scheme of things Hornby have the "image" in the public arrena but for the serious end I think that Bachmann go the extra mile to get them just so! I just wish Hornby would prove me wrong alot of the time!

To the 'general public', (i.e. not those who would say that railway modelling is their hobby, ANY model railway item is a 'Hornby', whatever it says on the box. This is just an extension of the use of a single brand name for all similar products; all ballpoint pens are, to most people, 'Bics' (formerly 'Biros'), all vacuum cleaners are 'Hoovers' (Sorry, Mr. Dyson, perhaps in another generation of two they may morph into 'Dysons'), all cola drinks are 'Cokes'.

When I restarted the model railway room in the last boarding school in which I taught, visiting children and parents invariably said 'Oh, that's nice - you've got a Hornby!' I always resisted the opportunity of saying 'Yes, and 8 Bachmann locos, three Heljan and even some old Lima ones!'

That's why, on some other (lesser) Forums, a frequently-asked question is whether or not they can run other makes of locos and rolling stock on their Hornby.

To the general public, whose main contact is reminisence, or buying a set for their nephew, son, grandson, (no, I'm not sexist, but how few sets are bought for girls?), Hornby is the known name. However, to those who are in the hobby, Bachmann is at least equal to Hornby, if not the brand leader. This is quite an achievement considering that they are what? 30 years old in the British outline and UK model shops!

Richard.

• RMweb Premium

An interesting thread indeed. Several times when I have been in my local model shop I have heard conversations between potential customers who clearly know nothing about model railways and staff who are trying to advise them. The one thing the customer seems to know is "Hornby". I reckon one of the most clever marketing deals ever was when Triang acquired Hornby Dublo, renamed it Triang Hornby, and then dropped the "Triang" bit fairly quickly. Hornby Dublo was known to goodness how many kids pre and post war, and the name gets passed down. I have talked to people about it, and they think Hornby still equals Hornby Dublo. That IMO gives the present owners a real advantage. For many years that advantage was frankly abused. Hornby had an effective monopoly, and did nothing whatsoever to advance the hobby. It was only the advent of Bachmann that made them shed their complacency, and even that took a few years. I personally don't think Bachmann have ever received the credit they deserve for sparking the cycle of constant improvement which has led to the standard of model we now take for granted.

Where do the two companies stand at present. It's a close run thing I would say. Both produce excellent models. I must have been very lucky, because although I own a very large stud of locos almost every one of them runs very well, irrespective of the colour of the box it came in. Hornby still do seem to have trouble tearing themselves away from the big colourful and named engines, but recent years have seen advances such as the T9 for example. The range is widening, at least as far as locos and carriages is concerned, but I agree they are light years behind where goods stock is concerned. There aren't that many big named locos left to choose from, so Hornby are likely to be forced into a policy change by that factor alone.

Bachmann have been the company that would look at the wider picture, and again IMO deserve great credit for that. I am grateful for my A4's and A3's, which are to a standard undreamed of a few years ago, but if I was relying on Hornby alone, where are the workaday locos which were constantly to be seen alongside them? Bachmann continue to produce the everyday stuff that we need, and it is noticeable that in most areas it is they who have made the first move, with Hornby following on only when it has been demonstrated that these things can be successful. The EMU saga surely proves that?

We have competition. As a result we get improved standards, and greater choice, though not as great or as quickly as some would like. I suspect both companies are frusrated at the moment at the difficulty of actually getting the stuff they have announced into the shops. On that subject, I do wish people would at last stop going on about Bachmann taking "years" to produce things. Yes, they used to, and I was just as frustrated as anyone else, but there has been a vast improvement, and most new stuff now appears within the 18 month timescale which the Company is careful to announce. I know I'll be picked up on a few things which have taken longer than that, but they are mostly reliveries, not brand new models. Demonstrably, Hornby are no longer sticking to their delivery schedules either.

I don't know when, if ever, the advantage of the Hornby brand name will cease to apply. Until it does Hornby will have an advantage in that sector of the market. Bachmann do cater more for the "serious modeller". We win as a result. Good luck to both of them, say I.

Gilbert

It was only the advent of Bachmann that made them [Hornby] shed their complacency, and even that took a few years. I personally don't think Bachmann have ever received the credit they deserve for sparking the cycle of constant improvement which has led to the standard of model we now take for granted.

I agree they are light years behind where goods stock is concerned. There aren't that many big named locos left to choose from, so Hornby are likely to be forced into a policy change by that factor alone.

We have competition. As a result we get improved standards, and greater choice, though not as great or as quickly as some would like. I do wish people would at last stop going on about Bachmann taking "years" to produce things. Yes, they used to, and I was just as frustrated as anyone else, but there has been a vast improvement, and most new stuff now appears within the 18 month timescale which the Company is careful to announce. ... Demonstrably, Hornby are no longer sticking to their delivery schedules either.

Gilbert,

many good comments. I echo your sentiments. Competition is a very good thing. Long may they both prosper. It is good for us.

I agree with you that despite some embarassment over the 4CEP, Bachmann is doing a great job of delivering models as promised in approximately 18 months. Hornby? Not so much. Hornby is really struggling to meet schedules. The Schools took an unbelievably long time; around 27 months for me.

Hornby also have communications problems with their contract manufacturer. Reversing the T9 tender frame was an understandable problem - the parts were reversible and someone guessed. It was a 50% chance and Murphy's law was demonstrated. But the bigger issue in my opinion is that even once the problem was diagnosed, new T9s releases were still being manufactured and shipped wrong.

The Hornby steam locomotive range continues to be slightly larger than Bachmann, but as many have indicated Bachmann provide the really useful engines rather than big, bright coloured and named.

The quality and variety of Bachmann's freight stock remains far superior to Hornby. This (and of course the blackened wheels and high-fidelity to prototpye models) is what drew me to Bachmann in the first place. Bachmann painted and printed their wagons and made Hornby's look like they belonged in the toy box. Hornby's freight stock has improved, but it remains inferior to Bachmann.

In general both suppliers make very nice models.

In some areas Hornby continues to have an edge. These are:

• steam locomotive lining; (Bachmann's lining particularly on GWR express locomotives is far short.)
  • grouping era coaches; (Bachmann do relatively few of these, although these days Hornby availability is really hit or miss.)

I guess the acid test is what am I planning to purchase. Hornby has the edge here right now, but I think that's mostly what happens to be in the range right now:

• SR Schools (Dulwich on back-order. Still waiting)
  • GWR Castle (Should the elusive Tintagel Castle ever appear)
  • GWR 28xx
  • GWR 38xx (this is a maybe)
  • GWR ROD
  • S&DJR 7F (I'm holding out for the Bachmann Collectors' Club to come through. Please!)

Archived