Neil Rushby's Shell Island RM Back Issue Numbers

Stewart

Dear All,

I have tried searching the current forum and the old forum without success for any references to the Railway Modeller back issues which would contain Neil Rushby's Shell Island articles. I seem to recall there were two articles split over two RM issues?

If some kind soul could confirm the back issue numbers I can hopefully order them up.

Kind Regards,

Stewart Glendinning

Hi Stewart

Shell Island appeared in August 2003. Don't remember it being a two-parter although could be wrong and images from it have appeared in other RMs.

When you are ordering back issues from RM it is possible to get hold of indexes by year which may help.

Cheers

Martin

Hi, the 2nd part was an in depth look at the stock used on Shell island, approx Sept or Oct issue after the layout issue. This interested me mainly on the Class 103 Park Royal DMU that Neil had built.

Thanks MB, I'm going to try to find that myself. I thought Shell Island was a superb layout and I really liked how Neil had weathered the stock so not sure how I missed it.

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Hello, Rushby here. Yes I'm afraid I'm a terrible media tart, no wonder all my nonsense seems to blur together. However I've sorted out that Shell Island appeared in the August 2003 issue of the Modeller. It was a single issue feature, though I did go on at a later date to describe both the Derby Sulzer type two and the gunpowder van construction.. The Park Royal hasn't (yet) been subject of a feature in the model press, though it does appear as one of the cast in a two part article on my subsequent layout Abergwynant, July and August 2006 issues of the Modeller.

Hello, Rushby here. Yes I'm afraid I'm a terrible media tart, no wonder all my nonsense seems to blur together. However I've sorted out that Shell Island appeared in the August 2003 issue of the Modeller. It was a single issue feature, though I did go on at a later date to describe both the Derby Sulzer type two and the gunpowder van construction.. The Park Royal hasn't (yet) been subject of a feature in the model press, though it does appear as one of the cast in a two part article on my subsequent layout Abergwynant, July and August 2006 issues of the Modeller.

Hi Neil, sorry about the misinformation, your Park Royal did subject appear on Abergwynant & not Shell Island, old grey matter withering away you see, too much "sex, drugs & rock & roll", trouble is if I went and looked it up, I would have to rumage through tonnes of Railway mags, get an almighty rollocking of the Domestic Boss, about what are you looking for, why have you kept them and don't you think its about time you got rid of them, so part of me being wrong was being lazy for reasons explained.

Anyway very enjoyable features they both were indeed, by the way West Coast Kettle was in at Pwllheli today running the Cambrian Coast steamers, a nice Blue forty would have looked better on the front.

Neil,

Many thanks for the confirmation.

I would concur with the comments above - for such a compact layout it has had a huge influence.

I remember flicking through the original RM article in Smiths and can't remember why I didn't purchase it at the time. Something I intend to right this week!

Kind Regards,

Stewart

Archived