N gauge sound projects for Lok Sound MICRO

Guest Moria

Guest Moria

Greetings.

Does anyone know if there are any sound projects for a class 57 or 60 that can be put onto a LokSound MICRO for use in N gauge? I know howes can put it onto the larger LOK chips, and whilst a LOKsound 3.5 "Might" just fit with some work, the micro would be easier to get in and I don't know if the larger chip sound projects would fit on a Micro.

Of course, if I get a milling machine or some big files, I could probably make a normal LOK 3.5 fit and I would have 4 functions then. hmmmmm choices choices. may be a bit tight

also can anyone give the height of the 16x25 speaker?

Regards

Graham

Check with an expert supplier, such as Howes, but I thought the Micro could take the same sound projects as the regular LokSound chip.

There is a big difference in power output of the amplifier (volume!), and small speakers reproduce a different sound to larger ones. So, a "top notch" project might have its sound adjusted to suit the smaller speakers.

- Nigel

I'm pretty sure Nigel is correct and the Micro can hold the same sound projects as the standard Loksound. The difference is in the functions and the amplifier which is why the chip can be so much smaller.

The pair of approx 3/8 inch button speakers in each of my PCM E7s give a respectable sound. It is unfortunate that the Loksound decoders use 100 ohm speakers since there are a wide variety of shapes and sizes of 8 ohm speakers available over here for the various North American sound decoders (at very reasonable prices).

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure Nigel is correct and the Micro can hold the same sound projects as the standard Loksound. The difference is in the functions and the amplifier which is why the chip can be so much smaller.

my howes fitted oo gauge Hornby 08 is on a micro with no loss of functions, infact its just been reblown with added "sleeper grind"

my howes fitted oo gauge Hornby 08 is on a micro with no loss of functions, infact its just been reblown with added "sleeper grind"

By functions I mean function outputs (typically used for lighting). Sound functions are just firmware and shouldn't change. Actually, according to the specs it seems that the Micro has 4 functions as well, just with a lower current capability:

V3.5 Micro - 4 functions of 180 mA fur function with a total limit of 350 mA

V3.5 - 4 functions of 250 mA per function with a total limit of 500 mA

Adrian

Guest Moria

many thanks all.

Yes, Adrian, speaker size is next.. the 16 x 25 might fit in the fuel tanks, if I can slim it down to about 14.5 mm.. not sure yet.. am interested though that the two baby 13mm speakers gave you a good result.. that might be a solution.. one at the top under the fans and one in the fuel tanks.. Might have to try a few options.

Interesting about the functions as well, I thought the micro only had 2.. 4 would be ideal laugh.gif and save adding a fleet lighter decoder as well.

Regards

Graham

many thanks all.

Yes, Adrian, speaker size is next.. the 16 x 25 might fit in the fuel tanks, if I can slim it down to about 14.5 mm.. not sure yet.. am interested though that the two baby 13mm speakers gave you a good result.. that might be a solution.. one at the top under the fans and one in the fuel tanks.. Might have to try a few options.

Interesting about the functions as well, I thought the micro only had 2.. 4 would be ideal laugh.gif and save adding a fleet lighter decoder as well.

Regards

Graham

Graham;

If you would like to evaluate the PCM E7 setup, I'm sure we could arrange that.

Adrian

Yes it can but the project has to be completely reconstructed in a new Micro project file. V3.5 projects cannot be downloaded into a Micro (and vice versa), you get error messages.

Guest Moria

okay thanks all and thanks for the heads up dwhite4dcc.. I double checked with Howes and SWD and they can reformat for, and supply a micro, they just don't list them as such because not many people have shown enough insanity to consider this in N to date to make it worthwhile listing on the web, but all their projects are available as a special order on a Micro.

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Yes it can but the project has to be completely reconstructed in a new Micro project file. V3.5 projects cannot be downloaded into a Micro (and vice versa), you get error messages.

odd, my Class 14 project loads into a Micro and a normal 3.5 with no error messages ....

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought a couple of Loksound micros with class 50 and the like loaded with no problems (other than the price - ouch). The 13mm round speakers are definitely inferior but do fit more locos. A useful tip from the digitrax list is to put small round speakers like that onto one end of a piece of brass tube the same length as diameter or a bit longer and seal the other end so you've got a much better chamber. If you are mounting speakers either end of the chassis block on old Farish there is room for this.

• 1 month later...

Hi :) Im going to have my class 501 emu 'n' gauge fitted with a 3.5 micro decoder sound, from the 00 gauge 4 cep as olivias trains said that they can blow the sounds to it no problems and would have the same functions as the 00 scale model. as im going to the nec model railway exhibition in november i will asking digitrains if they can do it. As for the farish diesels there must be cheaper ways of sounding them, like truck coupling and couldnt you mount the decoder into the truck and mount the tiny speaker under the locos fuel tanks :mellow:

Regards Mark.

You can fit a decoder into a fair number of the Farish locos although the earlier Bachmann ones are harder.

Of the ones I've done

Farish:

Long CO-CO chassis: (50/52/55) - Decoder in fuel tank, saw end blocks off chassis fit speakers. Really easy conversion

Shorter CO-CO chassis (31/37/47) - Similar to the 47 but you have to put a CT decoder in the roof space which means a bit of filing down.

HST - cheat a bit - put the power car next to the TGS and speaker in the TGS, wires at solebar level, and the dummy car has tons of room

Tender locos: Almost all will fit a CT sound decoder and speaker in tender.

Bachmann:

Generic (pre DCC) BO-BO chassis - speaker in fuel tank (needs the CT speaker box shortening and filing a bit for the 25), mill the chassis top and you can just about squeeze in a CT decoder

All the new DCC ready diesels, remove the circuit board, and discard, fit CT or Loksound micro into the space, saw off the bottom chassis block and fit speaker in its place. Keep a small bit of packing to stop the two chassis blocks touching at all. Some of them are very tight fits even with the CT.

150/108 both supplied with mounts and can be fitted with Loksound micro/13mm speaker sets. If you hack the seating up a bit you can keep it below window level

On the diesel/electric side I've not yet found a way to do any of the Dapol stuff, the Farish 04, 08 and 20. The 20 at least ran in pairs so for many setups you can use one plus a dummy.

I think you could just about get sound in the 3MT if you removed much of the metal in the water tanks and put the speaker in the cab but I'm not going to try that sort of thing until I can pick up a busted one cheap on ebay or similar in a year or two.

You can fit a decoder into a fair number of the Farish locos although the earlier Bachmann ones are harder.

Of the ones I've done

Farish:

Long CO-CO chassis: (50/52/55) - Decoder in fuel tank, saw end blocks off chassis fit speakers. Really easy conversion

Shorter CO-CO chassis (31/37/47) - Similar to the 47 but you have to put a CT decoder in the roof space which means a bit of filing down.

HST - cheat a bit - put the power car next to the TGS and speaker in the TGS, wires at solebar level, and the dummy car has tons of room

Tender locos: Almost all will fit a CT sound decoder and speaker in tender.

Bachmann:

Generic (pre DCC) BO-BO chassis - speaker in fuel tank (needs the CT speaker box shortening and filing a bit for the 25), mill the chassis top and you can just about squeeze in a CT decoder

All the new DCC ready diesels, remove the circuit board, and discard, fit CT or Loksound micro into the space, saw off the bottom chassis block and fit speaker in its place. Keep a small bit of packing to stop the two chassis blocks touching at all. Some of them are very tight fits even with the CT.

150/108 both supplied with mounts and can be fitted with Loksound micro/13mm speaker sets. If you hack the seating up a bit you can keep it below window level

On the diesel/electric side I've not yet found a way to do any of the Dapol stuff, the Farish 04, 08 and 20. The 20 at least ran in pairs so for many setups you can use one plus a dummy.

I think you could just about get sound in the 3MT if you removed much of the metal in the water tanks and put the speaker in the cab but I'm not going to try that sort of thing until I can pick up a busted one cheap on ebay or similar in a year or two.

Hi, :) so why is everyone saying farish diesel/ steam are to difficult to do?? and most companies wont touch them, as too much work involved ,as i wouldnt know where to start :unsure: still ,etched pixels, at least you can do it, good on you ;)

If you use a CT the speaker will fit in the tender too - as with some of the other speakers. The CT is loud enough you can just point it down through the floor. For the others a trick borrowed from the OO world is to cut out the fake coal (no great loss) and replace it with a fine mesh blackened and covered in glued on coal/coaldust. Gives you both an excellent speaker grille and a more realistic look.

Make sure you have as many wheels picking up power - if the power is lost the decoder sound has to go through the startup sounds before the loco will move.

That is very much a Loksound specific disease and there are some CV settings somewhere to make it behave too. You still get a nasty "click" on losing power momentarily but not the rest of the problem.

Hi

also can anyone give the height of the 16x25 speaker?

7.5mm + about 1.5mm on top of that for the housing if you want to seal it.

Strange I have never had this problem.

N diesels can be done - there is space in the Chinese class 52 loco for speakers at either end of the chassis blocks for 13mm speakers, and a a recess can be milled into the chassis frames. No lights to bother about, so its no more difficult to do than adding plain DCC. Try to add extra weight after conversion to keep haulage and electrical pickup. Make sure you have as many wheels picking up power - if the power is lost the decoder sound has to go through the startup sounds before the loco will move.

Agree they can you got to be prepared to take risks......eg milling the plastic body right down to 0.1mm wall thickness.

Martin

Archived