Mangotsfield station

• RMweb Premium

Dear all,

I am starting on research about Mangotsfield station with a view to making plans. I have already looked the following Middleton press books on Bath- Bristol and Bristol - Gloucester, Colin Maggs excellent book on the Mangotsfield to Bath line, Peter Smith's The Midland in Gloucestershire, the HMRS collection, A2A, English Heritage and for photos and references on the web, including Flickr with some I have posted from my own collection, which has turned up some very usefull information. I have also been involved in a discussion on Bristol Railway Archive which then has various links off it.

As you may know Mangotsfield station was part of a triangle with the main buildings in the centre. Between the Gloucester and Bath platforms was a walkway off which was the Booking hall and waiting rooms.

In preparing drawings though there are quite a number of details which are prooving harder to tie down. These include trying to find photos which show the rear of any of the main buildings. Did you use the station and can you remember any details about it and where rooms were in the station? - I now know the block of buildings at the Gloucester end of the Gloucester platforms were the station masters house, which apparently survived till the early 80s (does anyone have any photos?) I know the Gents was next to the passageway on the same platform and next to that was a door into the booking hall and waiting rooms. I beleive on the Bath platforms the door which can be seen was also from the booking hall (am I right?). Where was the Ladies any ideas, the Parcels and Porters offices? What were the doors into the booking hall like and were there any doors and windows off the passageway.

I can work out alot of the canopy details thanks to the standardisation of the Midland and some drawings of canopies from LMS Architecture.

Photos which clearly show the layout of doors and windows on the Gloucester platforms- the end buildings that contained the booking hall etc have been demolished as have all the buildings behind the platform.

I am also trying to find out what the passageway looked like, and the layout of doors and windows into the Booking Hall. Can anyone say how the station was operated. I know Clifton trains left from the bay platform next to the Bath platforms, but what else can people remember.

So in short I am trying to find photos or information which would help with building up a clearer picture which of the buildings including those on the island platforms to be able to make plans. Once done I will happily provide anyone who has helped me with a copy of the drawings. I am going to try to do them on CAD once learned as the surviving portions lend themselves to that (the Midland were very good at repeating patterns)

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any help

Duncan

Archived