Whitefield Ln

binesrail

Looking good there Chris.

The 08 needs a bit of weathering, when you get chance as the roof looks particularliy clean!

Hi Richard,

YES defonatly!!! to be honest i hate these nice clean locos. Maby we could have a weathering session at the club or somthing sometime. :D

Make the 08 and 24 look like proper work horses! :yahoo_mini:

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Been busy over the last few days with the layout and it now starting to look quite nice. :)

Finaly got the enbankment for the road built and the bridge and retaining walls glued to the layout. I just need to print off some front on views of houses to glue to the backscene to help give some depth to the layout and will give a greater look to the whole North Devonie feel.

The biggest thing by far is the grass which has been done using a Grass Master kindly Darren01 let me use his, and im very greatfull because i would have had to spent over £100 to get one, but the results are great! :D

Some more weathering was also done and talkon powder sprinkled on and spread with a make-up brush to give a look of spilled china clay, which there was alot of here in North Devon. The last thing is i have built a plate layers hut whitch is right next to the bridge so now the perment way gang have a place to put there tools at the end of the day. B)

Take a look at the photos and tell me what you think.

Speak soons and happy modelling.

Chris

post-2641-099749000 1291640287_thumb.jpg

post-2641-017197000 1291640365_thumb.jpg

post-2641-051423100 1291640451_thumb.jpg

HI Bins

Looking very good ,glade to have been of help with the grass master!.

If you would like to bring it over again ,you can add more longer grass to some areas if you like.

keep up the good work mate

All the best

Darre01

HI Bins

Looking very good ,glade to have been of help with the grass master!.

If you would like to bring it over again ,you can add more longer grass to some areas if you like.

keep up the good work mate

All the best

Darre01

Hi Darren,

Yer that would be great, and also put in one or two small hedges while in at it! a railway can never be too over grown. :lol:

Cheers

Chris

Hi all,

Todays update, ive finnished the plate layers hut area by adding a few small details such as some old sleepers, tools a wheel barrow and some coal (the coal isnt in the photo thow as i hadnt yet put it in the wheel barrow when i took the photos)

For most of the day thow ive just been playing around with the layout, seeing how meny wagons and locos i can use at once. Ive mannaged to run the layout with three locos, eleven wagons and two break vans! but its very tricky to get every thing to fit. :P

Taken some photographs also whilst i was playing with it, hope fully they will give you a better idea of how good the grass looks and other details.

Speak soon and happy modelling.

Chris

post-2641-043865300 1292537661_thumb.jpg

post-2641-044616400 1292537797_thumb.jpg

post-2641-059698100 1292537914_thumb.jpg

post-2641-088173500 1292537960_thumb.jpg

post-2641-076949900 1292538015_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Been busy weathering locos that week, and dont worry they arnt as bad as you might think! :lol:

The first two i did were my class 58's which im quite happy with but just need some finnishing touches.

The layout has seen somthing very odd happen to it, in the form of an BR 2-6-0 Crab! This has also been under my weathering brushes and just needs finnishing touches like coal and water spills. As most of you know im not a very big LMS/LNER man frankly anything outside of GWR teritory is usless in my mind :D but i do like the Crab for some reason it feels very S&Dish.

I also must get out and take some photographs of building in and around my town to use for the background, to give the layout more depth and north devon feel.

Photos below are of the newly weathed Crab on the layout. Hope you like,

Chris

post-2641-0-50920100-1294758659_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-95966600-1294758686_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-24886400-1294758705_thumb.jpg

Not sure how I have missed this one but this is a neat little layout, unusual and well executed - and I might just pinch it and extend it a little for something I have in mind - although I'm not so sure where I'd fit a harbour line in given that my timeline is more 1980's :)

Regarding photoshopping smoke, no idea sorry :( Try PMing Chris Nevard, I seem to recall he does a lot of that sort of thing? Jim S-W also does smoke but more to diesels on some of his photos but then again I'm sure the techniques are similar?

• RMweb Gold

Coming on well there Chris! Does make a difference having the grass and a few details added.

Nice weathering on the loco, probably and bit too large to run on the layout though! (you will need to go DCC and run on the club layout!)

Richard

Not sure how I have missed this one but this is a neat little layout, unusual and well executed - and I might just pinch it and extend it a little for something I have in mind - although I'm not so sure where I'd fit a harbour line in given that my timeline is more 1980's :)

Regarding photoshopping smoke, no idea sorry :( Try PMing Chris Nevard, I seem to recall he does a lot of that sort of thing? Jim S-W also does smoke but more to diesels on some of his photos but then again I'm sure the techniques are similar?

Yer its nice small shunting layout, you can easily spend two to three hours shunting without doing the same thing twice. Im interested to see how adapt the track plan to suit your layout, look forward to it.

I think for smoke effects i will probibly have to ask Chris Nevard as he is probibly the most experienced person to ask.

Chris

Coming on well there Chris! Does make a difference having the grass and a few details added.

Nice weathering on the loco, probably and bit too large to run on the layout though! (you will need to go DCC and run on the club layout!)

Richard

Hi Richard,

Its coming together, just need to work on the background a little and make the grass longer in places.

I will get round to DCCing my locos at some point, it would be a shame to help build the club layout and then not be able to run my stock on it.

Cheers

Chris

Hi all,

Been running today with my BR blue stock and a load of china clay wagons. Ive also put the wires in the fencing around the bridge, i would say to anybody elce that has to do this that you should thread the wire through the posts befor you stick it down. As i spent about an hour trying to thread six pices of wire through about four posts! (my mistake :lol: )

Also hope fully at the club tonight Mudmagnet will be showing me how to weather my class 24 and maby my 08, so they will hope fully fit in better on the layout and not look so factory fresh! :D

Here are some photos for you all.

Chris

post-2641-0-67103100-1295371211_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-98530700-1295371284_thumb.jpg

I like this layout - BUT - in post 56 you show a closeup of the bridge at the end of the layout and the walls under the bridge are sideways?

Thanks for the compliment and yes your right :lol: they are side ways, i only had enough paper to finnish the bridge if i put it on side ways :P and being the determined thing i am i thought it better to do that rather than wait a day, kinda regret it now. hmmmm <_<

Chris

Hi all,

Richard has shown me how to weather my diesel locos last Tuesday and so ive been busy getting on with them! :D

He showed me the ways to weather my locos on one half of my class 24 and then said somthing along the lines of "right here you go!". So i went out the next day and bought some paints from the local Warhammer shop and got on with finnishing the class 24 and 08 shunter.

Im prity happy with what ive done, what do you all think?

Chris

post-2641-0-63189500-1295823304_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-10794600-1295823331_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just a quick update, been running the layout with some china clay wagons with out the fiddle yard. It is possible to shunt things around but i cant put a loco into the dock area, but still spent a few hours running trains.

Here are some photographs for you.

Chris

post-2641-0-02195100-1297186124_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-19947400-1297186157_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-95703800-1297186174_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-50232700-1297186190_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Just a quick update to say i will be working alot more on the layout over the next few weeks as i have not realy paid the layout much atention over the last few months!

Firstly finnished the background with a nice little town scean.

Secondly tidy up the card and paper walls and buildings.

Thirdly finnish the river with some proper paint/scatter and apply pva glue slowly over a few weeks.

I will update you all in the next week or so when i put up the layout ready for inspection! :D

Speak soon and happy modelling.

Chris

Hi all,

Not dont a great deal to the layout today :(

But i have cleaned it up a bit and started painting the oil patches on the fishplates, and ofcorse taking lots or prity photos for you all of my weathed M7 shunting around a mixed fraight of clay and cider.

Below is a photograph of the camera and lense i use for basicaly everything i do in the photography world. The camera is a Canon 1000D with Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3.

Speak soons and happy modeling.

Chris

post-2641-0-53589600-1304522451_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-66432400-1304522548_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-37602800-1304522582_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-49302000-1304522660_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-06216900-1304522725_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-67655600-1304522822_thumb.jpg

Archived