Whitefield Ln

binesrail

Hi all,

Here is a note to say the layout is having its first public outing tomorow (sunday) and on monday! it is being shown and run in the PMV van at Bideford Station, now open to the public with small museum, cafe and shop. If you can get there i shall be there at about 10am until 4pm on both days (sunday and monday this bank holiday weekend)

Hope to see some of you there, speak soons and happy modeling.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

i want to ask you all a question? Should my layout be fraight only or fraight and passenger working?

I have realy been wondering over the last few days weather or not the running on my layout would be prototypical, and maby if i made it fraight only it woul make it a bit diffrent from other layouts at shows being fraight only? i also say this because i want to run BR blue locos and if i did it would not match the era the platform is built in, and i have to extend the bace boreds a bit becasue when i took it to Bideford station last week it sudenly hit me the trains were far to close to the edge for my liking and i can not figger out how im going to position the station building or other stuff not on the layout at the moment? I am not to pleased with my platform althow it looks ok its just not good in my mind.

So what do you think?

Speak soons and happy modelling.

Chris

How about light passenger (121- Sprinter) with mainly freight. Use the lane nearest you for passengers with a perspex lip to prevent the carriages coming off. modify the platform at the right hand side for a low relief station building and the rest as goods. Therefore maximum use of existing stock.

Hope this helps fella.

Chris

How about light passenger (121- Sprinter) with mainly freight. Use the lane nearest you for passengers with a perspex lip to prevent the carriages coming off. modify the platform at the right hand side for a low relief station building and the rest as goods. Therefore maximum use of existing stock.

Hope this helps fella.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I measured up the layout to put up a perspex lip but the train would just hit it, so i have been thinking about making the layout wider by about 4 inches and making the layout into a dock yard in north devon much like the old Bideford Dock Yard ( but alot smaller :P ) this may give somthing diffrent to other layouts in the local area. I will see what i can make up tomorow with the left over MDF i have.

Cheers for the sugestions.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Sorry that i have not posted anything on here in a while ive been very busy, well ish...

The layout has been turned from a passenger/fraight line to completly fraight! it has also been converted into a dock yard very loosly baced on the old dock yard at bideford so this should be easy! (he says :blink: ) so ive extended out the front of the layout to alow for the river to fit in and raised one end to track level for the wearhouse to get in the layout. Also almost finnished ballesting, just two more points to do, just a note to say the ballest is going to be very heavily weathered (weeds and all!) Built up the loading dock part of the layout with polly filler, pushed an old triang coach through it when it was drying to get good clearence for the flanges of the rolling stock. and the latest thing to have been done is the building of the wearhouse, this was a kit that came free with Model Rail so i built that but modified it so it would fit the space it has to fit, it was also modified with some Scalesenics roof tiles which doo look very nice when finnished and givea great texyure to the building.

Speak soons and happy modeling

Chris

post-2641-054495700 1284575173_thumb.jpg

post-2641-023691900 1284575261_thumb.jpg

post-2641-017248300 1284575304_thumb.jpg

post-2641-062983900 1284575331_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Looking good. That's an improvement along the front - at least not chance of knocking any rolling stock onto the floor.

The building looks very good - I saw this in the magazine myself. Thankfully the real thing still exists! What have you used for the stone work along the quay side?

You could add some timber baulks along the stone work to protect the docking ships from causing damage hitting the stone work.

Are you going to bring this along to the club one night?

Richard

Hi Chris,

Looking good. That's an improvement along the front - at least not chance of knocking any rolling stock onto the floor.

The building looks very good - I saw this in the magazine myself. Thankfully the real thing still exists! What have you used for the stone work along the quay side?

You could add some timber baulks along the stone work to protect the docking ships from causing damage hitting the stone work.

Are you going to bring this along to the club one night?

Richard

Hi Richard,

The quay side is made from Scalescenes random ashlar sheet printed out and stuck on some card for suport, hopefully i will stick this in place tomorow when i weather the concret loading/unloading dock and i shall be sticking some painted balsa wood posts on later on in time. i can bring it along to the club on tuesday, are you coming this week?

Cheers

Chris

That's is a nice building. Is it card?

Yes the building was a free kit in Model Rail, the original came printed in gloss paper (like the rest of the magazen) so i photo-copyed this to some normal paper stuck the whole lot on sheets of card, cut it out, stuck it together and hay presto!

Chris

HI Binsrail

That look a lot better now you have added the water front to the layout, and the building looks very good indeed.

You just need a crane on the water front to set it off, have a look at Holt model shop, they do the Gem cranes, and very nice ones at that.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Darren

• RMweb Premium

Yes the building was a free kit in Model Rail, the original came printed in gloss paper (like the rest of the magazen) so i photo-copyed this to some normal paper stuck the whole lot on sheets of card, cut it out, stuck it together and hay presto!

Chris

Thanks for the answer Chris. I remember doing something similar with a free card kit in British railway modelling. Had to make it smaller as well though.

• RMweb Gold

Chris

That does look better being copied rather than the more glossy magazine version. At least you will be able to copy it again for another layout!

Yes, I will be at the club on Tuesday.

That does look better being copied rather than the more glossy magazine version. At least you will be able to copy it again for another layout!

Yes, I will be at the club on Tuesday.

Yes i could keep the kit the whole of my life if i want to :lol: that has to be the advantage of these kits.

i shall bring the layout on tuesday then to see what you think.

Cheers

Chris

Hello again,

Been busy today making bridgy things and throwing paint at the layout!

firstly i have weathered the ballest and the loading/unloading dock, i did this with a hole load of dry bushing which worked quite well to make that uncared for and oily look. I used Humbrol Metal Cote 27004 as recomended by Darren01 (he knows his stuff so i followed his advice :lol: ) Also done today is the bridge acting as a scenic break to the fiddle yard. I got fed up with waighting for my iron plate bridge girders so i decided to make a bridge that is very typical around railways here in north devon, it is not an arched bridge like some of the prototyps byt there is no need for all of that fancyness on this layout! but im happy with it and thats all that matters realy isnt it? :unsure: its made from scalescene printed off sheets stuck onto card and jumbled together to make the finnished product. :D

Speak soons and happy modelling!

Chris

post-2641-012947000 1284932185_thumb.jpg

post-2641-000581300 1284932218_thumb.jpg

post-2641-050349900 1284932260_thumb.jpg

post-2641-046081200 1284932308_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Not alot to report im afraid, ive been quite busy this week with the garden railway and another new 00 gauge layout! i will start a new thread when i have done a bit more work to it. Next on the list of stuff to do on this layout thow is to makke a start on the retaining walls and background. i shall post some pics as and when i am working on them.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris

It was great to see the layouts. It does great for the perspective. Unless you get a picture of the whole layout it sometimes is hard to place it all.

Thanks for the help with the Train Sim.

See you at the club night, Lots to tell.

Chris

Hi Chris

It was great to see the layouts. It does great for the perspective. Unless you get a picture of the whole layout it sometimes is hard to place it all.

Thanks for the help with the Train Sim.

See you at the club night, Lots to tell.

Chris

Hi Chris,

glad you liked the layout or layout's, i duno i got to meny :P

Also good you found driving the class 66 on the S&D fun to!

How are you finding that game i give you to play with?

Cheers

Chris

Hello all,

Time for an update me thinks :D

Ive been doing a fair bit on the layout over the last few days after a burst of inseration to get it finnished. So here is what ive been doing.

First of all i have finaly decided where the signal box is going to go, i was considering not having a signal box at all and just have a ground fraim or two but it has now been positioned so that if you were a 4mm person you can see the whole layout from it, like the real boxes were.

Also started on the retaining wall whitch goes along the back of the layout and slowly drops down to the level of the track and just becoms a normal wall, this will make a big diffrence when there are some houses and things behind it and will give the layout a great sence of depth (i hope! :mellow: ) The road has been extended from the bridge to the end of the bace bored too.

Last but not lest for this update i have bought some grass tufts from international models as sugested and used by Darren01 on his layout Torrington. Im very happy with the result and i will be buying more stuff from them in the future such as there ivy stuff which will go up the side of the retaining wall, wearhouse and bridge :D

Here are some photos for you to look at to!

Chris

post-2641-064700900 1287684922_thumb.jpg

post-2641-052376100 1287684958_thumb.jpg

post-2641-085525800 1287684971_thumb.jpg

post-2641-006111600 1287685001_thumb.jpg

Lovely pics, I particularly liked the buffer stops, Why did you acquire them please and how did you get that realistic rust look on them?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

sorry i do not get your first question, but i can tell you how i got the rusty look on them. Its very easy, just two paints that are very similer of your choice, depending on how rusty you would like the thing your weathering to be. Then paint on the darker coat first then the slightly lighter coat, this way if you miss a bit it will just look like a pice of rust has fallen off.

hope this helps.

Chris

Just a little update today, i have taken some photos of the layout looking a little diffrent, its all BLUE!

I have bought a Bachmann class 24 at Rail-Ex Taunton and yes i know they never ran down here in north Devon, so...ha :lol:

I am in the prosses of buying a class 25 body to replace it, because they have the same chassis. So all being good i should have a 25 on the layout in a week or two.

The other loco you see is a Hornby class 08 shunter with some Bachmann china clay wagons in tow.

A very nice scene if you ask me :D

Hope you all like.

Chris

post-2641-068350800 1288393144_thumb.jpg

post-2641-080137700 1288393170_thumb.jpg

Archived