MPD Electrics help needed

will5210

Hi all.

Attached (hopefully) is a plan of my layout which is under construction at the moment, but electrics aren't my strong point. So, I thought I'd let some more knowledgable folk have a look to double check if its all ok.

I usually use Insulfrogs, but i'm going for Peco electrofrogs this time, for the smoother running. Am I correct in thinking the only wiring difference is that I'll need plastic fishplates where the two points go 'face to face'?

Ignore the fact some of the lines are brown & some grey - I don't know why AnyRail did this for me!

And apologies for the dumb questions, but I like to double check on these matters.

Cheers

post-7340-128047472183_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

Am I correct in thinking the only wiring difference is that I'll need plastic fishplates where the two points go 'face to face'? Yes, just one pair at either point

And apologies for the dumb questions, but I like to double check on these matters.There's no such thing as a dumb question

It might be obvious - it might not but all of those section breaks will require feeds to the left.

Personally I would wire this differently - taking the main power feed off from the turntable feed and taking that to each depot roads - each also switched. That adds more stabling but most important prevents a short when you turn a loco and drive it off on an unmatched route.

Use something like a jack plug to centre and power the turntable track.

A plan that would benefit from DCC

I usually use Insulfrogs, but i'm going for Peco electrofrogs this time, for the smoother running. Am I correct in thinking the only wiring difference is that I'll need plastic fishplates where the two points go 'face to face'?

Yes.

Any comment you see referring to frog switching etc is added complexity to give better reliability.

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. Yes, i've since looked into wiring electrofrogs and I think i've just about grasped it!

I've considered DCC but i have a few split chassis Bachmann locos which would be difficult to convert.

Kenton, I don't quite understand what you mean by 'feeds to the left of the breaks'?

Cheers

Will

I'd have just two feeds, with double-rail breaks as indicated below. The location of these breaks along their respective tracks can be chosen according to how you want the layout to operate.

I'd power each turntable road from the turntable, energising the respective road when the turntable is locked in that particular position.

post-133-128075152053.jpg

Kenton, I don't quite understand what you mean by 'feeds to the left of the breaks'?

Each of those isolating breaks will require a switched feed to the left or they will be permanently isolated.

That is a lot of switches to remember to throw and which ones apply to which combination of track - which is why DCC is a good choice for this type of concentrated loco layout.

Thanks to all for the excellent feedback!

I'm still leaning towards DC, for now at least, as I feel learning to control a layout(even such a small one) with 'proper' electrics would do me no harm, and I can convert my locos to DCC at my own pace & maybe one day the layout too.

Anyway, the baseboards made, so it should be in the 'Layouts' section at some point soon.

Cheers again

Will

Forget DC v DCC for now: good wiring is good wiring no matter what system you're using.

Though it will eliminate all those switches at a stroke. A great deal of wasted effort and potential to go wrong - if you are thinking about DCC in the near future. (and that is from someone who isn't especially a fan of DCC)

Archived