Small & Cute - Ee3/3

Jon Gwinnett

• RMweb Premium

Nice! I wonder whether a model of the new Ee 922 will be done as well some time... Click

It certainly is quite remarkable how the Austrians and the Swiss stick to electric traction, even for shunting.

Probably SBB will still retain it for departmental use.

rolleyes.gif Could be....

Nice! I wonder whether a model of the new Ee 922 will be done as well some time... Click

It certainly is quite remarkable how the Austrians and the Swiss stick to electric traction, even for shunting.

Yes, I thought the new ones looked interesting. I really went in for a DB 363 or 290, but I came out with this. Mind you, there was an ACME/RAILTop DB 185.2 which looked very good indeed.

Mind you, i think for these its mainly passenger pilot work in stations, so the wires are there anyhow

• RMweb Premium

Mind you, i think for these its mainly passenger pilot work in stations, so the wires are there anyhow

Yes, of course. I was, however, thinking about the situation in Germany where most major stations are electrified as well, but there no longer are any dedicated electric shunters at all.

Before I forget to ask - which brand is that Ee 3/3 you got? Looks like Roco to me.

Probably SBB will still retain it for departmental use.

As it happens, I did pick up a rail-top ballast wagon tooo!

Yes, of course. I was, however, thinking about the situation in Germany where most major stations are electrified as well, but there no longer are any dedicated electric shunters at all.

Before I forget to ask - which brand is that Ee 3/3 you got? Looks like Roco to me.

Yes, it's Roco.

A lot of handrails still to add. If I get time to do them today I'll post more pics, with the ballast wagon too!

Jon

Handrails added (one side so farblush.gif )- still to add etched plates (included in box) and the remote control? aerial and its bracket:

post-7346-128059456632_thumb.jpg

The cab is blocked by a factory fitted paper mask to hide the dcc chip - it might be possible to dispense with this if you used a direct plug in chip rather than one with a lead, but I don't have any of those to hand so the mask stays (for now).

And something to pull:

post-7346-128059461646_thumb.jpg

They make a cute combo!

post-7346-128059475717_thumb.jpg

If this is the same mould they used back in 1986 then its standing up to time well. My only criticisms would be the pantograph, which is a bit agricultural(!)and might include the overly thick handrails. I may try fashioning some finer replacements, or I may just turn a blind eye.

Both items would benefit from some weathering, but off for a glass of beer now so that'll have to wait!

Jon

Okay smile.gif . By the way, far as I know the Roco Ee 3/3 was first released in 1986 - but the design still looks very much up to date, in my impression.

The only thing that really dates it - apart from the panto - are the massive flanges on the driving wheels. Roco have been slowly slipping in RP25-fine standards over recent years, and this little fella could do with something a bit closer to scale.

The only thing that really dates it - apart from the panto - are the massive flanges on the driving wheels. Roco have been slowly slipping in RP25-fine standards over recent years, and this little fella could do with something a bit closer to scale.

Fair comment, although they don't look so bad in the flesh, or the steel, so to speak

Archived