Fitting coupling to Coronation loco

Hi.

I just purchased a Hornby Coronation loco. R 2894XS

I am finding it difficult to fit the supplied tension lock coupling.

The small grub screw at the rear of the tender is too short to go through the coupling and get a grip.

The only way I can think of, is to drill out the hole, tap it, and fit a longer screw.

I contacted Osbournes, where I bought it. They said " Very strange "

Contacted Hornby. They sent my the service sheet, which was no help.

Sent them this picture.

They have ignored me.

Any help in being able to use this loco would be appreciated.post-9271-12808021849_thumb.jpg

Looks to me as if this is the wrong type of coupling for that tender! It might be possible to bolt that coupler on to an earlier type of Duchess tender, but your tender is designed for the R8219 type of swallow-tail coupler which fits in a NEM362 pocket. The coupler pocket is supposed to clip into the omega-shaped slot just behind the rear axle. This is clear from the Service Sheets available on the Hornby website. Did Hornby send you the wrong S/S?

The retailer who said it was "very strange" was perhaps having a clueless day. Ideally, they would have said "Oops, we sold you the wrong part. Here's the right one. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Unfortunately, the packs of couplers sold as R8219 don't seem to include the coupler pockets, so if your pocket is missing it might not be trivial to source a replacement.

Hi esca,

Bachmann sell the small nem couplings with the pockets to slide them into in packets of 10 the no is 36-030, I've used these pockets on a couple of my Hornby locos as they seem a bit tighter than some of my original Hornby pockets I use kadee's so I don't mind having a few spares lying around, hope this solves your problem!!!!

Regards NZ DICK

Thanks guys for the help.

I heard back from Hornby, " They are looking into it. "

I will wait and see if Hornby send me the correct parts.

I will not be dealing with Osborns again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the help.

I heard back from Hornby, " They are looking into it. "

I will wait and see if Hornby send me the correct parts.

I will not be dealing with Osborns again.

Got the couplings from Hornby today and fitted them.

Now I can use the Loco.

Unfortunately, Osborns seem to have sold me a lemon.

It runs in a regular jerking fashion, like someone with a limp.

Another loco I have runs just fine.

I am using an NCE Pro Cab.

Just realised. This is probably a loco that was returned to Osborns for it's poor running.

That would explain the missing couplings and other bits.

Archived