Crushed & baled scrap cubes.

The stirring 4mm scale glorified diorama lurking within my garden shed that regales in the name 'Cardiff Bar & Section Mill' will feature copious amounts of scrap metal.

Does anyone know the approximate size of an 'average' cube of crushed and baled scrap metal ?

I've been tinkering with aluminium cooking foil run through a powerful office shredder, then pressed into cubes. The finished effect is quite good, but now I need an idea of the size of the cubes.

TIA

Brian R

Brian,

There's no standard size, different baling machines produce different sizes, not surprisingly the larger the machine the larger bale it will produce. As the process essentially involves using a hydraulic ram to squeeze the scrap into a small space the dimensions of the bale are fixed in two dimensions but vary in the third, dependent on how much scrap is there and how much pressure the ram exterts.

Machine manufacturers usually quote the bale size produced as, say, 300mm x 300mm x 400 to 550mm.

Examples of actual sizes are;  800mm x 650mm x variable (that for a mobile baler) and fixed machines from a single manufacturer are 600mm x 800mm x 550mm to 800mm, 380mm x 380mm x 200mm to 300mm and 240mm x 240mm x 120mm to 200mm. They are just examples, there are certainly smaller and larger sizes produced. The steel makers don't want bales to be too big, the bigger they are the slower they are to melt.

Something around 10mm x 10mm x 14mm would be okay for a 4mm scale EAF.

Did you see the article in Model Rail a month or so back on making model scrap loads and scrap bales? A technique similar to the one you are trying if I recall correctly.

Arthur

Something around 10mm x 10mm x 14mm would be okay for a 4mm scale EAF.

Thanks Arthur, although the majority of scrap I seem to see arriving is 'frag' or slightly larger, there are also bales/cubes and I felt like ringing the changes.

It's difficult to get close to measure a few, and what I didn't want was a regimented series of cubes.

Did you see the article in Model Rail a month or so back on making model scrap loads and scrap bales? A technique similar to the one you are trying if I recall correctly.

Amazingly, having broached the subject at this weeks club night, one of the other lads produced the article.

So, each day from now on,the aluminium kitchen foil I take my two slices of bread to work in will be shredded, stored, and cubed !.

Thanks again

Brian

PS

'Black Rat'

I have two small 'beer fridges' in my shed - Oxo was only for drinking after a school swimming session at either (i) Guildford Crescent baths (or barrrs in Kairdiff) or (ii) Empire Pool. Oxo was for washing down the packet of 'Iced Gems' the staple diet of all Kairdiff schoolkids when swimming - well in my day !

Bri, you can also get a 'heavy duty' foil from model aircraft shops. Its self adhesive but quite thick. Might give you a bit of variety through the shredder.

I have been usuing the thick foil from bars of white choccy from Lidls, or Leedels if you want to be posh (Cornwall see!).

Makes good tarps to!

Always enjoy your posts, memory lane!

Guildford crescent, learnt to swim there with Mr Pocket and the Police Athletic Club, 1969!

Empire Pool! Went off top there once, lost me bathers as I hit the water, much hilarity from Sian Evans and Heidi Jones who I was trying to impress at the time! Got chucked out several times for doing a bomber off of second to!

Exit 1 shame faced spotter!

..........and we posh kids preferred 'mini shorties'tongue.gif

Guildford crescent, learnt to swim there with Mr Pocket and the Police Athletic Club, 1969!

Glyn Pocket's name features several times on one of the 'roll of honour' boards, on the floor above me as I type this !

Brian

Archived