Does anone remember Dynadrive?

milepost46

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

PM = Private Message

Hot = A weather phenomenon not seen in this part of the world*

( * this may not be the right answer in this context :jester:)

This sparked off a bit of cyber-digging, and after a while I stumbled across this patent application

Could this be it?

Er how is it supposed to work?  Personally I would not waste time building this it seems to rely on resistance in the gears to function, I suspect with well run in gears it just wont work (Until you grease it again).  There are two crucial bits missing, 1) a torque limiting device to protect the final drive gears if the loco suddenly stops as in hitting the buffers.  2) some form of resistance to slow the flywheel when the motor is powering the flywheel.    For 1) I would put two cylindrical super neo magnets north pole to south pole in the drive train between flywheel and final drive.  They deliver a finite amount of torque and then slip quite freely in my experience.  For 2 a brake band or shoe on the flywheel as per a car automatic transmission, operated by a solenoid, More current equals more power from the motor and more force applied to slow the flywheel more torque at the final drive remove the power and the brake drops clear allowing the flywheel to drive the motor and the final drive, reverse the motor the brake is applied to the flywheel.   

It is very similar to a half baked idea of mine for "Proto-slip" the challenge of driving a real loco in model form.    It relied on a differential from a radio controlled car  with the power from one motor driving both the loco driving wheels and the tender wheels.   With a very heavy tender to provide power and high gearing to the loco drivers and little weight on them the loco should have good pulling power until the driving wheels slip.  The plan relies on the fact that the output shafts  always have a combined speed equal to twice that of the input so one can be stationary and the other doing twice the input shaft speed.   So as soon as the driving wheels slip the tender wheels will lose torque and the driving wheels spin furiously at the expense of the tender drive so the loco slows until the drivers regain grip.  I had intended it for a WC pacific with Airfix 14XX universal joints etc .  The motor was to drive one of the axles, the other was to drive the driving wheels and the propshaft the tender wheels.  Not really beyond the thinking stage yet, but it could be fun and or frustrating with a Pacific struggling to start and only capable of pulling a train very slowly compared to ready to run where spinning the wheels is the best way to get rocket like acceleration.

......It is very similar to a half baked idea of mine for "Proto-slip" the challenge of driving a real loco in model form.    It relied on a differential from a radio controlled car  with the power from one motor driving both the loco driving wheels and the tender wheels.   With a very heavy tender to provide power and high gearing to the loco drivers and little weight on them the loco should have good pulling power until the driving wheels slip.  The plan relies on the fact that the output shafts  always have a combined speed equal to twice that of the input so one can be stationary and the other doing twice the input shaft speed.   So as soon as the driving wheels slip the tender wheels will lose torque and the driving wheels spin furiously at the expense of the tender drive so the loco slows until the drivers regain grip.  I had intended it for a WC pacific with Airfix 14XX universal joints etc .  The motor was to drive one of the axles, the other was to drive the driving wheels and the propshaft the tender wheels.  Not really beyond the thinking stage yet, but it could be fun and or frustrating with a Pacific struggling to start and only capable of pulling a train very slowly compared to ready to run where spinning the wheels is the best way to get rocket like acceleration.

Sometimes half-baked ideas can be extraordinarily fascinating.

Archived