Hornby 09 Dick Hardy

Hi all, need an answer from you.. Looking to paint out the numbers and name on my Hornby 09 Dick Hardy and renumber it to a South Wales shunter. I bought Humbrol's Departmental Gey the other day but got home and found it to be too light, its more like Sector grey, does anyone know whats paint is needed for depetmental grey.... is it the same a on Dutch liveried locos aswell?

Thanks.

Leon

It is supposed to be Railfreight/Departmental Grey, which is the same colour as the grey on Dutch and old Railfreight liveries.

Colours from the manufacturers often vary from the aftermarket ones available, so your only option is to mix up a custom colour to match (which is what I did when I painted out the black window surround on mine), or find another method to remove the name and number.

I used brake fluid to remove mine (DOT3 or 4 will do) - paint it on carefully to the name and numbers and leave for about 10 minutes. Clean off with a damp cotton bud. Re-apply the brake fluid if necessary, just make sure you keep an eye on it!

HTH

It is supposed to be Railfreight/Departmental Grey, which is the same colour as the grey on Dutch and old Railfreight liveries.

Colours from the manufacturers often vary from the aftermarket ones available, so your only option is to mix up a custom colour to match (which is what I did when I painted out the black window surround on mine), or find another method to remove the name and number.

I used brake fluid to remove mine (DOT3 or 4 will do) - paint it on carefully to the name and numbers and leave for about 10 minutes. Clean off with a damp cotton bud. Re-apply the brake fluid if necessary, just make sure you keep an eye on it!

HTH

Thanks for that, I have DOT 3 in the shed for the bike I will try that....I did try thinners but no luck. Have you got a pic of your 09 you worked on?

Cheers

Leon.

I liked your 09 at the time Martin, nice distressing. However I'm sure you could have removed the original number with the side of a matchbox and still acheived the look!! tongue.gif

Archived