• GER Water tank and crane - Jim Featherstone
  • 'Or will exchange for dartboard' - Mike Stanley
  • Building LNER coaches in wood - Brian Bartholomew
  • Halifax Show report - Nigel Hart
  • The Winterley coupling - John Rodway
  • The well trained garden - Peter Ager
  • LB&SCR Railmotor No1 - P J Wisdom
  • Trade News - Sandy Gorski
  • TIO Special: A step-by-step guide to etched wagon construction - Bob Alderman
  • Mailvan

Also included was "Directors' Report 2010", "Guild News" and "Guildex 2010 Souvenir guide and plan"

Having had a cursory glance through it this appears to be an above-average issue. I always enjoy Mike Stanley's articles and think his rather unusual layout is to die for. The Geoff Holt article certainly looks like it's worth studying and the photos are eye-candy anyway. And the Raymond Walley article is very pertinent for me, as I've got a host of bolster wagons running around looking rather bare for want of chains and shackles.

I've just had a chance to look through the adverts, but the minx microdrives look interesting, unfortunately not a lot of information in the advert or the website. Will take a look at Guildex - although they sound expensive!

No MoK 9F for Telford, or this year by the looks of it, so at least my wallet can rest easy.

John Kneeshaw is definately right about Geoff Holts pieces about 'Hero Worship' - what a guy Wilf Wood was! I certainly felt suitably emotional upon reading of his exploits in the trenches. I also thought it was wonderful how the LNWR named locos after its V.C. winners and based them near the recipients homes - terrific stuff, makes yer swell wit' pride!!

(Thats my Lancashire accent!!wink.gif ).

Something else that i thought pertinent was the comment on 'modern image' (D&E) guys, not getting anything out of the Gazette with it being mostly steam based.

I'm sorry but that kind of thing slightly annoys me! In that it's a railway - does it really matter what the prototype is? We should all be able to enjoy and learn from, each others models and how they did things and overcame obstacles etc. This is indeed coming from a confirmed D&E modeller - but i do like steam and can get just as much enjoyment from an article about a pre-group layout as i can from a D&E one - in any scale!

All in all, i did think it is another excellent issue and i really must start doing something with my collection, so i can write (ramble on!) about it and submit to the Gazette!

Cheers,

John E.

Archived