4mm loco wheels

Please can someone tell me who made these loco wheels

post-1131-128095779589_thumb.jpg

They are 15mm wheels and I think they have 1/8th axles. Push fit on to the axles, crank pins built into the wheels. Look a bit like Romfords, but not on quatered sholders and no screw, also crank pin different.

Might be a drop in set, previous owner mentioned a J72, but that might have nothing other than being the same size.

Thanks

K's........Keysers early and better wheels, but check they are quartered, and true. Also the rim is insulated with a celluloid strip of plastic, a forced fit, the rims can come lose, use thin superglue to re-fit if the tyre comes off.

They are not bad wheels, all the other versions were inferior.

Stephen.

I remember a conversation with Keyser Snr., he said that they lost money on the metal wheels badly, they were just too expensive to make, according to him, and manufactured mainly in house at the factory, no subcontractors, but in the end it was a matter of a few shillings more, and K's had a bad habit of cost cutting over decent design. He tried always to keep costs low, and it cost them dear at times. There are versions with nickel silver rims, plated brass, and plain brass. A few exist with Essar spokes, he bought a batch of flangeless 18mm brass Essar, fitted rims, and rim insulation rather than the bush S-R used.

Stephen.

Thanks lads for a quick reply, they will come in handy when I rebuild K's kits J72 which has brass chassis(mk 2 wheeltype) that will free up a smaller (15mm) set of Romfords which are on at the moment and can go on a Wills SR P class.

Bertiedog how is the flying banana comming on ?

Archived