K's wagons

hayfield

I think this wagon fits within this section

post-1131-128103592444_thumb.jpg

I have a love with Keyser models which dates back to the 70's, I now have most of the wagons with 5 to go. This lowmac was one that I needed and unlike most of the wagons with the tell tale brake assembly is a little hard to spot. Including postage it was £6.69 a bit more than I normally pay, but a lot less than some I have seen sold. It will be rebuilt and painted

I now have full sets of the metal GWR, SR & BR wagons. I only have 2 of the LMS wagons, also missing 1 LNER and the PO wagon. I have some models in both whitemetal and the later plastic. Also have 2 metal Mink's both with different ends !. Not doing too bad with the coaches, full set of the GWR ones and would only be missing 1 of each of the SR & LNWR had I not sold a couple of coaches.

I am not far off half way with their locos, but there is no way I would even consider paying the amounts some of the rarer ones fetch. I do have a full set of the body line locos but as there are only 3 types and they all are farly common thats not much of a feat.

Anyone else recently obtaines anything they were after for sometime ?

I've got most of the wagons. Just the milk tank and a couple of the plastic ones to go. Carefully trying to avoid the TT ones! I have the cattle wagon (from when I had a TT layout in the 60's - needs new axleguards as they have broken off) and the milk tank, which I couldn't resist a couple of years back (the price also had something to do with it!).

The metal MINK was a banana van. The EMGS supplied it with plain ends as a normal van (I could never understand why K's described the plastic van as a meat van). They also supplied the GE sand wagon as an open wagon, though this is a simple mod.

The CORAL A was the first K's kit I acquired back in the 50's, followed by the banana van.

Latest sought for item I found was a rather nice HD Golden Fleece body on eBay.

Looking for some Trix Twin US passenger cars. I have 3 baggage cars, but none of the others. (I refuse to pay collector prices...)

On wagons, I have bought two Sayer Chaplin all brass etched 12ton LMS Ventilated wagons, the second because the first was incomplete, and so is the second, but fortunately different bits, now I have the etched masters to make a spare and some missing pieces like the etched solebars! Making new ends is another matter, Sayer pressed the corrugations....impossible to easily duplicate, so the third one will have to have plain ends.

Mr Keyser was offered the Sayer Range in the early 50's but turned it down, saying the white metal castings were better for production than etchings.

Stephen.

On wagons, I have bought two Sayer Chaplin all brass etched 12ton LMS Ventilated wagons, the second because the first was incomplete, and so is the second, but fortunately different bits, now I have the etched masters to make a spare and some missing pieces like the etched solebars! Making new ends is another matter, Sayer pressed the corrugations....impossible to easily duplicate, so the third one will have to have plain ends.

Mr Keyser was offered the Sayer Range in the early 50's but turned it down, saying the white metal castings were better for production than etchings.

Stephen.

This LMS 20T brake van is an early etched wagon I think,

post-1131-128117109867_thumb.jpg

I prised the roof off to see inside and clean the glass, wooden block fills up half the interior, etched sides and ends, wooden roof and floor

post-1131-128117117141_thumb.jpg

Whitemetal W irons screwed to the floor, wooden block in the middle. No idea of the make.

I think this GWR Gane is an Acro model (wooden floor has twisted the body) Will replace with scribed thick plasticard

post-1131-128117135775_thumb.jpg

Lump of solder giving it a bit more weight

post-1131-128117141058_thumb.jpg

Sprung bogies

One of the nicer Keyser wagons the Coral A, this one I built years ago I have another which came with a few other wagons in a sorry state as the metal rails are bent an slightly broken.

post-1131-128117166926_thumb.jpg

I've got most of the wagons. Just the milk tank and a couple of the plastic ones to go.

The metal MINK was a banana van. The EMGS supplied it with plain ends as a normal van (I could never understand why K's described the plastic van as a meat van). They also supplied the GE sand wagon as an open wagon, though this is a simple mod.

The CORAL A was the first K's kit I acquired back in the 50's, followed by the banana van.

Latest sought for item I found was a rather nice HD Golden Fleece body on eBay.

Looking for some Trix Twin US passenger cars. I have 3 baggage cars, but none of the others. (I refuse to pay collector prices...)

I have 2 tank wagons both metal tank versions (latter ones had a plastic tank) both missing some minor details mostly the metal retaining straps which hold the tank to the wagon floor. I have enough to make 1 complete wagon, and it will be easy enough to make the straps for the other

Here are the 2 Mink end variants, though on second looks the one with a sliding ventelator appears not to be 100% K's, as the casting design is different (thinner and has 2 lugs going down from the bufferbeam) sides and roof are K's

post-1131-128117318909_thumb.jpg

I was short of SR wagons so I painted the LMS shock absorbing wagon in SR livery (I will repaint it)

post-1131-128117289304_thumb.jpg

Minor improvements are to file away the large inner locating lugs

post-1131-128117294811_thumb.jpg

This leaves the inside nice and clear and

post-1131-128117300327_thumb.jpg

I fited etched W irons, sometimes I use one set and other times I replace both.

I am trying to fathom a way to do this on the SR brake van, Coral A and Lomac to fit some form of compensation and get a less drag on movement

Unless someone has replaced the ends, the banana van (with the sliding ventilator) is the 100% K's product. The plain end version is the EMGS version. The ends on this are thicker and with slightly heavier detailing. I'll see if I can dig out mine.

Pin point bearings are an improvement as regards running. Equalisation will require some sort of inside bearings. I did an Airfix LOWMAC, by filing a bit off the top of the bearing/axleguard unit at one end, but this is not a solution for the K's kits.

The axleguards tend to be a bit delicate I find and break off. New axleguards are then a necessity. Most seem to have GWR axleboxes IIRC so it's not a complete loss. The LMS open for example.

THe MR 3 plank is quite useful as apart from MR/LMS they were sold to some other railways.

One I've never found any prototype info. on is the HR twin (bolster) wagon. I have two of these. One bought new in the 50s and the other second hand acquired much later on.

I went to the Peak Railway centre last week and I found these wagons the K's models are of

post-1131-128190131005_thumb.jpg

LNER Lomac

post-1131-128190137123_thumb.jpg

LMS 20 ton Brake van

I also found a SR utility van and took some photos of an old 4 wheeled tank wagon, which will help me in building the 6 wheeled tank. Also took a photo of a double veranda brake van of which I have a model

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, as promised here are some of my K's wagons. I accept no blame for the first three, as they are as bought. The other two are my own work. Both need a little refeshment as they have been in storage for quite a while.

GWR 16T goods brake van (TOAD), GER open wagon (I'm not sure if this the EMGS one or someone just sorted the ends (couplings on these seem to be the overscale ERG product), GWR banana van, EMGS/K's GWR van (MINK) (this is the banana van with different ends) and MR 3 plank dropside open in Brecon and Merthyr Railway livery. (The photo has shown I put the Letraset on skew - it was built a long time ago)

Apologies for the H0 track. My two are actually EM.The pictures could be rather sharper too.

post-6780-075131100 1284384776_thumb.jpg

post-6780-096283800 1284384829_thumb.jpg

post-6780-006504000 1284384869_thumb.jpg

post-6780-070953200 1284384893_thumb.jpg

post-6780-053370100 1284384917_thumb.jpg

David.

Have you got a Palvan? if not do you want one?

Roger.

Many thanks! :) but I've got two of them already and two of the Palbrick as well.

IIRC the only metal wagons I haven't got are the LNER brake van and the milk tank*. Neither is on the urgent list at the moment, I have far too many unbuilt kits, either still in the box or started and...

*I have a TT one of these. I'm not sure why I bought it (beyond the price was right!). I only have a few TT items left over from a layout ( one that actually got finished! :O ) and nothing to run them on.

Numbers 21 to 23 of my K's collection SECR van, LMS cattle van and GE salt wagon

post-1131-086090400 1284407542_thumb.jpg

The SECR and GE wagons came from Ebay (along with 2 NE hoppers which need a lot of repairs as they are quite damaged) the salt wagon is missing a W iron and axlebox, not too bothered as I will fit etched W irons and buy new springs and axleboxes.

The LMS cattle wagon was a swap with another RMweb member. I swaped it for a GWR Grano.

All wagons will be stripped of paint and where needed upgraded running gear. I must decide whether to do post or pre grouping and I think I will need to build a small display shelf unit.

Now to find that 7 plank open to complete the set.

Has anyone got a rake of Palbricks / Palvans ?

I had forgotten that the GER sand wagon did not have side doors, which makes the EMGS open wagon rather different. (Most of mine are packed away.) Somewhere I have seen a photo of this wagon (the LNER wagon book I suppose). It would look quite smart in LNER dept. green livery. That would be loco green I assume?

The SECR van was always one of my favourites. The SECR was partial to Mansell wheels, but I don't know anyone who does 3' 1½" ones. Mine runson some some disc wheels of dubious origin (ERG I think) with a thick centre which are OK if you don't look too hard. Rebuilding with pin point bearings would help with running.

IIRC the P.O. wagon is an 8 plank. It is to the shorter 1907 RCH specification.

The hopper wagon is very delicate due to the separate side strapping which usually failed to stick properly and thus broke off. It wasn't helped by the hopper parts being a poor fit. I soldered mine together (the hopper part - the rest is still in bits) which has produced a strong unit. It was descibed as an LNER wagon, but I think it's nearer to the BR version.

A rake of Palvans would take some shifting as it is one of the heaviest wagon kits. :blink:

I've found a Ratio GWR brake van body. I'll post a photo on the Ratio thread.

David thanks

The SECR Van will be in SECR colours as the HMRS SR transfers include SECR ones as will the tarpaulin wagon. The LMS ones will have to stay LMS as I have too many packs of transfers already.

A rake of any whitemetal vans will be quite heavy, however pinpoint bearings transform them.

The builder of the LNER hoppers tried to make decent models of them, he has replaced the 2 ends of one hopper with Brass replacements, a small rectanglar piece has been cut from one side, on the other hopper, an attempt has been made to solder it together, resulting in 4 small holes in the ends and side. These can be repaired. Thankfully the GE wagon was fine except it had lost 1 of the W irons / axleboxes. As it was the sand wagon I was bidding for the hoppers are viewed as freebees.

Archived