Athearn RTR Veranda Gas Turbine

Accurascale Fran

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

In a similar vein (but with poorer pictures and a lot less detailed text) to the fantastic picture reviews of the numerous european locomotives we get here, I thought I'd stick up some pictures and a thought or two on my newest purchase; The Athearn Ready to Roll Union Pacific Veranda Gas Turbine. I haven't seen much about this particular model on here so for anyone who is interested in seeing it, here is what you get...

post-7114-128117964467_thumb.jpg

I went for number 65 with tender, and comes in a (frankly, huge) dedicated box. It's nice to see that Athearn have sturdied up the packaging as this has been an issue in the past. I bought the loco whilst on holidays in the States as a wee treat to myself. I am more of a dabbler in the US practice than a modeller, and to be honest prefer the Santa Fe, but I can't resist the bigger UP stuff, and they dont come much bigger than this!

post-7114-128117994875_thumb.jpg

First of all, I must apologise for the quality of the pictures; I am no photographer and my camera is very average. The detail on the loco is simply super., Stunning even. Everything is so crisply moulded with the grills on the roof gubbins being particularly good. The walkways on the tender are also beautifully done. I am not hugely up on these engines but have read elsewhere that they are a good rendition of the prototypes. The inner two trucks are powered only, and the drive seems to be smooth and powerful so far. Printing and livery application is nicely done, any fuziness you see in these pics is down to the camera!

post-7114-12811803233_thumb.jpg

post-7114-128118086582_thumb.jpg

Criticisms? Well the biggest one for me comes at the front, where the gap between the body and the bottom of the chassis (pilot?) has more than a hint of the Bachmann 40 off it. Also, the ladders on the tender and the back of the loco seem a little on the heavy side.

post-7114-128118072013_thumb.jpg

All in all though I am quite pleased with it. Next step will be the addition of a sound decoder. If I can I will try to get a video of it when installed running on my friend's layout, as I haven't got one of my own at present, only a mere test plank!

Anyway, hope this was of interest to someone, if anyone has any thoughts, queries or wants any more dreadful pics let me know!

Hiya,

While i'm not normally much of a fan of the 'Ultimate Predator'(!), this is one SERIOUSLY nice looking model. As in British outline, who would ever have thought that models of such unique and unusual locos would ever see the light of day - in plastic!?!

Very tempting indeed and thanks for the photos!

John E.

When I was buying Athearn's American stuff in the late 1980s, such machines as Gas Tubines were the stuff of dreams unless one bought brass. Like the OP, I was into Santa Fe (which had only then recently reintroduced Warbonnet livery) and Union Pacific. How times change, and once the comfort-cabs came in, I bowed out!smile.gif

Does anyone know the UK price of the Tubine?

And for DCC sound in a non-varanda Turbine :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuIIIPeCTWs&feature=related

• RMweb Gold

When I was buying Athearn's American stuff in the late 1980s, such machines as Gas Tubines were the stuff of dreams unless one bought brass. Like the OP, I was into Santa Fe (which had only then recently reintroduced Warbonnet livery) and Union Pacific. How times change, and once the comfort-cabs came in, I bowed out!smile.gif

Does anyone know the UK price of the Tubine?

Model Junction are quoting £140 for the veranda without a tender and £180 for one like mine with the tender Coach. I paid $200 for mine from a well known retailer in Brooklyn.

Ahhh good old warbonnet, I dont think there is a better looking diesel than a FP45 in the reintroduced warbonnet scheme, I have two Genesis models and an old RTR one which I really must get around to upgrading.

I have seen an old Lionel diecast turbine and I think MTH still make it in HO, but this knocks the spots off it. Thanks for the links Coach, hopefully Athearn get around to doing the 8500 turbines too. I think I'll get the QSI sound chip, but I believe there is a turbine Tsunami chip coming out, so may hold off to hear that one too before I buy. :)

Archived