Slate wagons

signaller

• RMweb Gold

I could post some facts and figures so to speak, in a breif description, if you think it will be of some interest?

Yes that would be interesting.

It just goes to show that no matter what space or scale you have you can obtain an excellent level of detail.

I sometimes think of scrapping my grand plan in OO and using the 20 odd foot to produce a really nice 16mm NG scene.. biggrin.gif

It just goes to show that no matter what space or scale you have you can obtain an excellent level of detail.

I sometimes think of scrapping my grand plan in OO and using the 20 odd foot to produce a really nice 16mm NG scene.. biggrin.gif

I have put it in the Narrow Gauge modelling section

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/20360-sm32-in-5-feet-x-2-feet/

Cheers for now.

I would go for the NG option. I used to think NG was odd and querky but now I carn't get enough of it, might be an age thing? Don't know! At least your layout will be unique and 20 feet has loads of scope.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

I would go for the NG option. I used to think NG was odd and querky but now I carn't get enough of it, might be an age thing? Don't know! At least your layout will be unique and 20 feet has loads of scope.

Cheers

I know what you mean.

Just got back from 2 days in N Wales, Dinorwic yesterday and Blaenau this morning.

BR Blue seems very boring after a visit to the quarries laugh.gif

I know what you mean.

Just got back from 2 days in N Wales, Dinorwic yesterday and Blaenau this morning.

BR Blue seems very boring after a visit to the quarries laugh.gif

You lucky person! and the weather?

Going back to the 00/NG clash, I think that NG has more potential in a lot of respects than 00. The tight curves allow a lot more operation for the given space and of course the scenic side knows no bounds! It is also very difficult to come up with something in 00 scale that has not been done before. Not a problem with 16mm because there are very few indoor fully detailed scenic layouts out there, well to my knowledge anyway.

Cheers

Roger

• RMweb Gold

You lucky person! and the weather?

Mostly raining so did not venture up into the quarries too much but it never dampens my interest. Its all part of the character and "scene" of N Wales slate railways.

Going back to the 00/NG clash, I think that NG has more potential in a lot of respects than 00. The tight curves allow a lot more operation for the given space and of course the scenic side knows no bounds! It is also very difficult to come up with something in 00 scale that has not been done before. Not a problem with 16mm because there are very few indoor fully detailed scenic layouts out there, well to my knowledge anyway.

Cheers

Roger

I know what you mean, for me, not sure how to describe it, its all the tight curves , narrow clearances, general untidyness that go towards the charm welsh NG has for me. Guess it all started when I was taken on holiday with my parents and went to the Llanberis Lake railway in the early 70's.

• RMweb Gold

In case you don't know, Andel models now has slab trolly's and rubbish wagons just been released. Also poe.o-honua has some new 1/20.3 figures! Hobbo lee looks ideal!

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger,

Thanks for that information.

Tempted to order one of the slab and rubbish wagons from Andel, £8 not much to loose if no good, but they do look pretty spot on and a bit of painting and rusting will go a long way. Might look better with double flange wheels though.

The hobo figure does look good, although seems to be holding a loaf of bread or a cake, perhaps for our use it will be some Bara Brith wink.gif laugh.gif

Edit

Just ordered the 2 wagons, will post up when received.

Hi Roger,

Tempted to order one of the slab and rubbish wagons from Andel, £8 not much to loose if no good, but they do look pretty spot on and a bit of painting and rusting will go a long way. Might look better with double flange wheels though.

The hobo figure does look good, although seems to be holding a loaf of bread or a cake, perhaps for our use it will be some Bara Brith wink.gif laugh.gif

Edit

I have ordered some figures and will also post them on here when I get them....

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if you saw this, scroll down to Ravens Rock. I would like to know what you think? I think it is the best I have evr seen! It is very sad that the builder has passed away but I am trying to research the layout.

Cheers

Roger

http://www.rmweb.co....album&album=983

Wow , thats just the look I would try to achieve.

I am guessing its in 4mm, those rockfaces in 16mm would be very imposing.

Wow , thats just the look I would try to achieve.

I am guessing its in 4mm, those rockfaces in 16mm would be very imposing.

It is 7mm Garry and I am told very heavy! Do you think it is doable in 16mm? Would be twice the size give or take! As I said I am trying to find out more about it, I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

It is 7mm Garry and I am told very heavy! Do you think it is doable in 16mm? Would be twice the size give or take! As I said I am trying to find out more about it, I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

I think its doable in 16mm, space permitting. I think the key would be researching and testing lightweight options for making those rockfaces.

In plaster or the like you would never move it again in 16mm biggrin.gif Will be interesting to see what you can find out about it.

Once I have completed my hunslet, think I will do a small scene to show it off so can experiment then with techniques, I feel a thread coming on when I do lol.

I think its doable in 16mm, space permitting. I think the key would be researching and testing lightweight options for making those rockfaces.

In plaster or the like you would never move it again in 16mm biggrin.gif Will be interesting to see what you can find out about it.

Once I have completed my hunslet, think I will do a small scene to show it off so can experiment then with techniques, I feel a thread coming on when I do lol.

It looks as if we are both on the same wavelength here! So do you think it would be an idea to share our successes and failures!

I have been looking into the modelling of the slate faces for some time, I do favour Styrofoam but I am looking at "MOD MESH" It is an aluminium mesh in three sizes, I have some on the way to experiment with, watch this space.

As you say a small diorama to start with say 5 feet x 2 feet :rolleyes:

Roger

• RMweb Gold

It looks as if we are both on the same wavelength here! So do you think it would be an idea to share our successes and failures!

I think thats an excellent thought.

I have been looking into the modelling of the slate faces for some time, I do favour Styrofoam but I am looking at "MOD MESH" It is an aluminium mesh in three sizes, I have some on the way to experiment with, watch this space.

Will be doing sobiggrin.gif

As you say a small diorama to start with say 5 feet x 2 feet rolleyes.gif

Its a good size to get a lot of ideas and different techniques onto.

Other things I want to do is a fully working incline in 16mm with drum house and proper working stub points.

Finding it hard to get info on the mechinism for the points though.

Hi Roger,

Edit

Received my wagons, fast service and look good, I am sure they will fit the bill after a bit of distressing!

Cheers

Roger

Archived