Removing Hornby cl 60 arrows & numbers.

My next loco i want to tackle is a class 60, seeing one at Doncaster the other day gave me that modellers kick. Anyway i've ordered all the bits i need to do this project but how do i tackle removal of the british railway arrows & the numbers , nameplates etc without destroying the paintwork. I cant say this is something i have done before so i would appreciate any help.

Cheers

Simon.

Hi simon,

I use Enamel thinners on the end of a cotton bud to remove numbers etc, just keep rubbing away gently and u should see the numbers/signs begin to break up and eventually come off, don't 'dig' at the bodywork. Wipe the surface clean afterwards as u don't want the thinners to carry on working the body colours.

Perhaps check if it works on an old model first, must admit all my forrays into this field have been on Bachmann locos/wagons, i think paint is pretty standard between manufacturers nowadays but always worth checking before you commit to anything that means alot to you!!

Most model shops can advise too and might offer a better solution

Good luck, hope this helps

S.Squirrel

Simon,

The thinners and cotton bud method works well on Hornby locos but be very patient as it seems to take ages before anything significantly happens. Don't press on hard due to impatience as this can dig into the paint as the thinners takes effect making a nasty gash.

Cav

Hi Simon,

I use MicroSol. Apply enough to cover the number/arrows etc and leave for about 20mins. You might need to add a bit more during the 20mins as it does evaporate off. Then wipe off numbers with a cotton budd. It leaves the surface perfect and not greasy or marked at all, which I find some other methods do.

HTH

Thomas

Well guys i have tried both & although the enamel thinners works on the paint in the nameplates it will not remove the silver arrows or the silver lining on the nameplate i've tried both methods anyone anymore ideas on how to shift these painful bits??

Simon.

Get some Modelstrip put it on with a cocktail stick just over the thing you want to remove then put the body in a ziploc bag and leave it for 45mins this softens the printing and with an old tooth brush remove the print.

It works really well you just have to have some patients.

Pete

Well guys i have tried both & although the enamel thinners works on the paint in the nameplates it will not remove the silver arrows or the silver lining on the nameplate i've tried both methods anyone anymore ideas on how to shift these painful bits??

Simon.

Hi Simon, the silver does come off eventually. The thinners takes the paint off of the names pretty easily but the silver stays put a lot longer, eventually it does give up the ghost and come off. I have used this method many times on Hornby models including the repainted fertis one on my avatar.

Just be patient.

Regards

Cav

Get some Modelstrip put it on with a cocktail stick just over the thing you want to remove then put the body in a ziploc bag and leave it for 45mins this softens the printing and with an old tooth brush remove the print.

It works really well you just have to have some patients.

Pete

cheers for that Pete i hd a quick word with andy Cairns about this & he pointed me in the same direction & it is now ordered. I have found with the thinners it makes the surface a little different to the rest of the paintwork.

Simon.

I does with any kind of rubbing action as it polishes the paint. i always do a sealing varnish anyway when renumbering etc so it goes away. Modelstrip however is a good product just don't leave it on too long or you will take the paint too!

Cav

Archived