Railnet questions

• RMweb Premium

On my new layout i have managed to squeeze in a railnet terminal. Does anyone know what height the platforms at these are/were. I understand they are higher than normal platforms, but how high? And what sort of equipment/trolleys would you find on the platforms? Was it like at an airport with a little tug pulling a row of trolleys loaded with mail sacks? And, most importantly, are there any kits or models available or am i going to have to scratch build?

Cheers

Tom

• RMweb Gold

This here websitesays that the units could be converted to passenger use, so I suppose the doors would be at the same height as passenger vehicles, therefore the platforms would be the same height as passenger platforms.

I think the platforms are the same height as the floors inside the Super GUV/BG/PCV vehicles, so that the trollies can be push on & off easily

This then means the platforms are slightly higher than normal, but I'm not sure of the amount. I know it's one foot step worth higher.

A trip to a preserved line may help - Great Central & Nene Valley have a few postal vehicles.

regards

On my new layout i have managed to squeeze in a railnet terminal. Does anyone know what height the platforms at these are/were. I understand they are higher than normal platforms, but how high? And what sort of equipment/trolleys would you find on the platforms? Was it like at an airport with a little tug pulling a row of trolleys loaded with mail sacks? And, most importantly, are there any kits or models available or am i going to have to scratch build?

Cheers

Tom

The platforms (or at least the one at Tonbridge) is at the height of the floor of the unit, rather than slightly below (6"?) as on a normal passenger platform, so that trolleys containing mail could be wheeled on board without using ramps. The trolleys used (known as 'York' trolleys, I think) resemble the ones that supermarkets used to distribute goods in, but are designed to carry slot-in trays carrying sorted mail- gone are the days of mailbags with illegible labels slung into BRUTE cages. Not sure how the trolleys were/are moved about the platform, as I've only seen the Tonbridge one in its present moribund condition, but electric tractors would seem to be likely- there's what looks like a charging point on the platform at Tonbridge.

I think someone does a kit for the trolleys- perhaps S-Kits?

Archived