MAINLINE J72

I have one that I use for testing and it runs perfectly. Very slow running , perfect electrical contact, very steady and almost silent. Must be best part of thirty years old and never been oiled oe touched in any way. I have another that squeals like a pig having it's vital parts removed without anasthetic. A bit of a hotch potch from what I have seen. I would like to see the loco running before parting with my cash.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

I bought one for a tenner at a show marked "non-runner", intending to stick a Bachy chassis under it as the body was perfect. The loco did run - very jerkily. I experimented with a bit of packing behind one of the front drivers (the whole front axle appeared loose; the wheels were rocking to and fro as the loco moved which I assumed was causing the rods to bind) - result, one sweet-running loco.

If you buy one and it is a poor runner, sometimes the solution can be very simple indeed (I've tweaked other split frame locos in similar ways), although as Bernard says, best to see it run first if at all possible.

I have one that I use for testing and it runs perfectly. Very slow running , perfect electrical contact, very steady and almost silent. Must be best part of thirty years old and never been oiled oe touched in any way. I have another that squeals like a pig having it's vital parts removed without anasthetic. A bit of a hotch potch from what I have seen. I would like to see the loco running before parting with my cash.

Bernard

Ditto, must be its brother. I brought mine second hand repainted in GWR livery and just needs the odd clean.

Archived