Modern UK Layout ideas

JackBlack

• RMweb Gold

My only thought is the length of the platforms. Are you sure they are long enough for what you want to run? I'd suggest measuring the longest train you think you will run, and checking this out. For example, you posted earlier that you want to run a flying scotsman. The loco plus two coaches makes a platform length of 3 feet if we assume 1 foot per item, plus any extra for tolerances. Your platforms look like they'll end up at 1.5 feet long. Maybe OK for a sprinter, but a bit tight for Scotsman and a train!

I'd also suggest you play "mental trains" in your mind with the plan in front of you. Imagine the shunting you're likely to run. This may highlight any issues with the design. If you sort out the design now, it'll prevent any frustrations when you do want an "operating session" (Ok, I admit it. Operating session is just a posh way of saying "playing trains")

However, if you're happy with the lengths, and you think it'll suit your purposes, then go for it. Seems to me like a good layout for sprinters with the odd small engineers train to me!

Archived