Modern UK Layout ideas

JackBlack

Hey Everyone

I've been using Anyrail for a few months now and I think its great and easy to use.

Below are my plans that I have at the moment but I'll put more up on Thursday as

I have more plans at my dads.

Plan 1

post-9408-128195107491.jpg

Plan 2

post-9408-128195109559.jpg

Plan 3

post-9408-128195113206.jpg

Thoughts, ideas and comments welcome!

I'd probably go with Option 1 - 2 and 3 look too 'fussy' and although there are more sidings, potentially less fun to operate.

If you have a Sprinter/DMU, a loco and then a shunter (08 or 09) you could use the plan as is, or add a loco stabling siding, perhaps as an old bay on the platform.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Paul- I think I'll stick to what I've got, but thanks. That idea could be good for the future.

James- Thanks. In Plan 2 the bottom left siding is a loco stabling point in fact.

Hello Jack

I also use Anyrail 4 for design work and have found the following:

If the red line appears when "bending" flexitrack, then the radius of curvature is too tight.

When connecting a piece of flex track, if the track turns brown, then the distance you are trying to cover is too great for that piece and another piece is required to be inserted.

So looking at your plans, plans 2 and 5 need the bends easing so that the red lines disappear.

What setting are you using for your flexitrack i.e is it set to 1st radius curves which is normally the default?

As to which plan I would pick, then I would be torn between 2 and 5.

HTH

David

I would try and get as much interest on the board as possible, otherwise you run the risk of getting bored with it further down the line.

I realise there is a limit into what you can get on a 6x4 board having done it myself but the more track the better as it at least

gives you more operational options....

good luck

Keith

I prefer Plan 4 as I think it's nice to just sit back and watch trains go buy sometimes. :)

However I would remove the small passing loop at the top of the layout as it it too small to be of much use. Instead I would have a plain siding(s) for the storage of trains. Also are the two sidings at the bottom just sidings or are they part of station with a platform between

them? If you did create an island platform there, then you could have both a continuous run and a terminal station for more operating variety!

Something like this....

post-6139-128257510088.jpg

Hello Jack

I also use Anyrail 4 for design work and have found the following:

If the red line appears when "bending" flexitrack, then the radius of curvature is too tight.

When connecting a piece of flex track, if the track turns brown, then the distance you are trying to cover is too great for that piece and another piece is required to be inserted.

So looking at your plans, plans 2 and 5 need the bends easing so that the red lines disappear.

What setting are you using for your flexitrack i.e is it set to 1st radius curves which is normally the default?

As to which plan I would pick, then I would be torn between 2 and 5.

HTH

David

I would try and get as much interest on the board as possible, otherwise you run the risk of getting bored with it further down the line.

I realise there is a limit into what you can get on a 6x4 board having done it myself but the more track the better as it at least

gives you more operational options....

good luck

Keith

I prefer Plan 4 as I think it's nice to just sit back and watch trains go buy sometimes. smile.gif

However I would remove the small passing loop at the top of the layout as it it too small to be of much use. Instead I would have a plain siding(s) for the storage of trains. Also are the two sidings at the bottom just sidings or are they part of station with a platform between

them? If you did create an island platform there, then you could have both a continuous run and a terminal station for more operating variety!

Something like this....

Thankyou everyone for your comments.

David- I'm not sure about the setting but I fixed the red line.

Keith- Thanks. What more could I add do you reckon?

Ben- Thanls for the idea, but I'll stick with Plan 2.

I've changed Plan 2 a bit.

post-9408-128264245934.jpg

Comments welcome.

Hello Jack

Unfortunately you may NOT have fixed the red line problem.

By removing one piece of set track and then using a piece of flexi track to join the curve to the points,

you have OVERSTRETCHED the flexi track which is why it is brown in colour - thus hiding the red line which indicated the overtight radius in the first place.

That red line may still be present but is hidden by the brown colour indicating the overstretch.

In order to assist you , it would help if you could tell us what loco's, rolling stock etc you plan to use on this layout.

And more to the point, what track are you thinking of using?

Please don't look at my comments as criticism!!

I am trying to help you get the plan right so that you get the maximum enjoyment out of YOUR model railway.

Regards

David

Thanks David, I know your not critisizing me. I'll be using Hornby's Track with small radius points. I although have a few Peco points. I want to use Sprinters, a class 37, Hornby flying scotsman train set, 'clam' and 'rudd' ballast wagons, speedlink wagons, Class 08 or 09, maybe a class 47 and a class 60. Not sure if this it or if it isn't right but it looks good for now.

Hope it helps (I hope).

Evening Jack

My reason for asking about your loco's etc was to ascertain what the minimum radius of the curves you would need to run them.

Most modern RTR locos need a minimum of second radius curves - they are not happy on first radius curves.

Whilst your Sprinter, Class 37 and 47 might not complain (well possibly not too much), the Flying Scotsman will

So that curve that you have at the top left of the plan should be a minimum of a Hornby R607 which is a 17.24 inch radius curve.

You still have a problem with your flexi track in your plan. The piece is overstretched (possibly R8090?) so that in

reality that piece of that track would not fit the gap, which is why it is brown in colour on your plan.

In your original plan, you had two pieces of set track curves. Go back to that idea and fill the gap using flexi track.

You will end up with a red line showing.

On each piece of flexi track, there are two "controls" - look for the feint lines coming from the track with the crosses on the end.

Click and drag the crosses - they adjust the geometry of the flex track - to try and "ease" the curve so that the red line disappears.

If you find that you are still having problems, put a reply on this forum. I will then PM you my email address and by return you can

send me the relevant .any file so that I can have a look at it on my version of Anyrail and see what I can do for you.

Regards

David

PS. Just one other thought, is this going be a DCC or DC layout?

Archived