MMP kits - time consuming and complex, but achievable for a beginner?

Hi guys,

I've sent an email to Mr. Parkins regarding his kits - normally I wouldn't even worry about it, but his web-page specifically mentions the gulf between builds-itself kits like JLTRT, and 'craftsman' style kits like DJH. Now I'm not experienced enough to know or have seen the difference in person - but I was wondering if anyone could provide any anecdotes about their experiences building MMP kits?

Specifically I'd like to know about the Class 40. My own experience is limited to the connoisseur starter kit, but I'm full of gumption!

MAny thanks,

Take a look at Simon Varnams building 7mm online he covers most of the mmp kits so you can see what is involved in building one. I guess it also boils down to how good you are with a soldering iron & how well you build kits.

Simon.

At the weekend I finished building my first MMP kit - the 35.5 ton class B tank wagon. I've made many kits before including JLTRT but this was my first MMP one. It took me about 6 months to do, probably because I would get distracted by something else then come back to it, but as the end came into view I spent more and more time on it. There were a couple of occasions where I got slightly disheartened by it's complexity and my abilities (lack of) but I'm very glad I persevered because it's ended up as an excellent model with a staggering amount of detail. The brake linkages really look like they could work.

I'm so pleased with it I've bought another one :)

Julian

I have just finished building the class 40 kit. It is definitely not for a beginner, there are some very difficult curves to form, such as that between the sides and floor of the body. The roof is particularly difficult to form. It has though produced a nice model but it took over 300 hours to make. If I was you I would start with a wagon and see how that goes. Most of the other diesel kits are easier because the roof is much simpler to form and they generally have straight body sides.

I would sum things up by saying I will NOT be building another one, the next one will be from JLTRT.

Richard Carr

I am in the process of building my last 2 of 6 MMP dogfish hoppers, I build these in section i.e. chassis/chutes then the main boddy, a lot of the build time is cutting/cleaning burs and forming to shape, I do break up the build into smaller sub sections to ease the build.

I think it is always good to build a wagon before a loco, to understand how the manufacturer has designed the build.

If you click on my work bench link below it will show one of my meathods of build

Ian G

A lot of very sound advice being given here.

I have built the Scarab trailer van, and am currently working on the detailing kit for the Bachmann 08.

The amount and quality of detail included is stunning, everything but everything is there, the instructions are as good as they get and in my opinion the kits are extremely good value for money, considering the finished model you can achieve.

Although I am by no means an expert in etched kits, I have built a few, and I doubt if any are better than MMP for quality of etching, fit of components and instructions.

But, having every detail included, they are very complex kits, and I would add to the opinion of doing a wagon first.

Read thoroughly and follow the instructions, take it slow and steady and as the model starts to take shape your confidence will grow.

Have a look here at what can be achieved .... http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/ ... way out of my league but I keep trying.

regards

Stewart

I'm nearly finished a plate glass wagon from the MMP range, and it really is a truly fabulous kit. I'm not a complete novice at building brass kits, but I wouldn't describe myself as an expert either. The instructions are well written with tons of CAD drawings showing where everything goes, and David Parkins is a very nice approachable guy if you do get completely stuck.

Easy questions - Can you solder? Can you form basic shapes in brass (fold, bend, roll etc.)?

If the answer to the above questions is yes then you can build an MMP wagon kit - though steer clear of the ones with working leaf springs if you are a novice as they are a bit fiddly to get right.

If the answer to either of the above is no, start with something easier:

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/0%20Gauge%20Wagons.html

Jims lowmac kit is ideal for a beginner.

Archived