Thaxted Station Drawings?

Does anyone know of any drawings of Thaxted Station? I want to build it (or more accurately the similar Sibleys station on the same line) and although I have Peter Paye's book I'm having trouble scaling from the photos - the buildings are wooden, not a standard size brick in sight!

Thanks

Tim

Tim

The Great Eastern Railway Society sells various drawings including those for Thaxted Water tower and the loco shed if of interest.

They also sell a drawing of Stow-######-Quy Station on the Mildenhall Branch; this was a single storey timber building and scale drawings show floor plan and all elevations.

See: www.gersociety.org.uk click on "Sales" and download the sales list, which is searchable.

Regards

Paul

I seem to recall some sort of article on Thaxted (as in Thaxted and Elsenham) in Practical Model Railways in the mid 1980s....

OK, some interesting bits here. Thaxted shed and water tower (being brick) are scaleable from photos but I'm not interested in them (at least at the moment). Drawings would be easier of course! I'm not sure if Thaxted has featured in the GER Journal (I'm not a member but have access to a set of Journals but not indexes sad.gif )

A quick look on line reveals a photo of Quy station building but it's quite different to Thaxted - larger overall and without the projecting roof on the platform side. Reminds me a bit of what is now a Russian Orthodox church at the former Walsingham station, although I'm not sure how much that has been modified or extended.

Unfortunately (or not?) Practical Model Railways passed me by completely...

Thanks to all, the search goes on...

Tim

The Thaxted branch figured in Railways South East Summer 1991.

The catalogue for the drawings in the GERS Collection at the Essex Record Office can be searched via their on line SEAX system. You do not need to be a GERS member to access these draeings (but you should be...!)

HTH

Andy

Archived