Lifecolor (sic) weathered wood

Lifecolor have been great with my issues they referred me to their UK distributor who sent me FOC a set of Lifecolor pigments to try - acknowledging that the railway weathering set does benefit from primers and they sent a whole load stuff about surface tension much of which was beyond me but pointed out some useful stuff see extract below......

the acrylic paint can be used without primer, I do agree that adhesion and longevity would be much better over a primer, especially on areas affected by handling or contact with moving items. Also better again on these areas by using a clear coat over the top of weathering effects too. You said you feel that primer would ruin tracks and transfers However, on using a clear primer would actually protect transfers and would be an invisible coating to lock down what’s underneath, plus provide the base coat for acrylics to grip onto. You would need to promptly remove any excess primer landing on the contact surface of rails. For this I would recommend Alclad primer, which is a solvent based primer. I recommend using it in well ventilated area and with a face mask. There are other clear primers available, such as automotive primer at places like Halfords[/size]

Glad to hear you're finding out more about the paints Halsey, hope it has helped.

Steve.

Archived