Source for etched roller shutter doors

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know where i can get some etched roller shutter doors for trains? I did have some ones from A1 models which were good, but i can't seem to find them on t'internet anymore. I am looking for the sort of door used in parcels units and in coaches that have a generator added.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Tom

Just ue the right style plasticard. You will struggle to find anything easier to knock up from scratch.

HTH

Jim

• 1 year later...

I have the same request, can anyone suggest a supplier of suitable etched doors, or identify the 'right style' plasticard (our local supplier has a very limited range and I don't want to mail-order by trial and error).

Thanks in advance.

I have used Evergreen scribed sheets before. They do them in several different widths. Plastrut also offer a similar, but more limited range. Also worth looking at is Slater's corrigated sheet. A lot of good models shops carry these ranges.

I replaced a roller shutter door on an old Matchbox Commer TV van (Rent-a-set) by simply scribing parallel lines on a sheet of 20 thou plasticard then bending the sheet slightly at each line. It seems quite convincing enough for me and would suit what you want for the 114 parcels units.

For anyone who might be interested, I was poking around in a local hardware shop today for something totally unrelated and picked up Evergreen sheet 2025. It's a V-groove sheet, 20 thou with lines every half mm. While ideally the lines would be slightly closer together (comparing to my Hurst NNV) this looks like a good option for the doors - certainly far better than anything I could produce myself.

Archived