Bodmin and Wenford Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Managed to have a trip on the B&W yesterday and chugging up the bank from Boscarne into Bodmin we couldn't help but notice how tight the curve is on the entry into the station. We had a few estimates ourselves but nobody at the station seemed to know what chainage the radius was. I've since had a good search on the interweb and the collection of books but again nothing. Lots on gradients though...

A scale off google maps would indicate it to be an average of around 8 1/2 chains but i'm not convinced how accurate this is. So my question is, does anyone have any definative / accurate info showing what the radius is?

Hi Chris,

My it's a small world, I have often wondered the same question myself, the reason because that hopefully I want to build the original pointwork that joined off that curve into the station itself. I do not know when the original trackwork was lifted but the pointwork was a one off and I'm sure there is'nt an actual name for the turnouts like there is in slips and tandems. As for the actual radius I'm affraid I can't help you there although personally I would say definately less than 8 1/2 chains in places, but saying that their 2-8-0 tank seem's to squeal around there OK. I have been in contact with one of their members of staff in the past who was really helpful, so if you still can't find the answer I would recomend getting in touch with them through their website.

Good luck, Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

My it's a small world, I have often wondered the same question myself, the reason because that hopefully I want to build the original pointwork that joined off that curve into the station itself. I do not know when the original trackwork was lifted but the pointwork was a one off and I'm sure there is'nt an actual name for the turnouts like there is in slips and tandems. As for the actual radius I'm affraid I can't help you there although personally I would say definately less than 8 1/2 chains in places, but saying that their 2-8-0 tank seem's to squeal around there OK. I have been in contact with one of their members of staff in the past who was really helpful, so if you still can't find the answer I would recomend getting in touch with them through their website.

Good luck, Martyn.

Martyn i think it gets tighter the closer you get to the station throat - down to 6 chains? Anyone know??

Archived