Nu Cast kits

I have just been catching up on back posts on this thread and in particular those about the patternmaker for some of the NuCast kits from the 70s.

I can confirm that the patterns for the NuCast V2, K2, B1, J27 and J21 were all made by the same person who also made the patterns for the ECJM (Later ABS) L1 and V4. In their day they were very good patterns which with Adrian Swain's casting techniques turned into very fair kits. I think the L1 chassis was one of the first one piece heavy etchings, but nonethe less accurate and functional.

As one of the team who set up the ECJM enterprise, I can answer most queries thereon.

]I'm not sure where this one fits in to the Nu-Cast story. Rhymney R1 class 0-6-2T.

post-9629-055420100 1287313420_thumb.jpg

I picked up the kit second hand at the Warley show at the NEC in 1994 or 95. It had a solid brass chassis that I binned. The top was broken off one of the smokebox sides but in my period a lot of these engines seem to have had flush riveted smokeboxes so I made a new wraper from brass sheet. The boiler casting was anything but circular so it was replaced with a length of brass tube. The cast cab sides and roof were rather crude and chunky os they were replaces in brass. Wheels are Sharman in a scratch built compensated chassis powered by a Branchlines 80:1 multibox and Mashima can motor. It will amble allong with a great ipression of solidity.

Adrian.

]I'm not sure where this one fits in to the Nu-Cast story. Rhymney R1 class 0-6-2T.

post-9629-055420100 1287313420_thumb.jpg

I picked up the kit second hand at the Warley show at the NEC in 1994 or 95. It had a solid brass chassis that I binned. The top was broken off one of the smokebox sides but in my period a lot of these engines seem to have had flush riveted smokeboxes so I made a new wraper from brass sheet. The boiler casting was anything but circular so it was replaced with a length of brass tube. The cast cab sides and roof were rather crude and chunky os they were replaces in brass. Wheels are Sharman in a scratch built compensated chassis powered by a Branchlines 80:1 multibox and Mashima can motor. It will amble allong with a great ipression of solidity.

Adrian.

I think you have just given a good reason why old W/M kits need to be treated with caution. Seems you kept only the footplate, tanks and bunker then eh? Great silk purse from sow's ear though, that R1 looks the business!

I think you have just given a good reason why old W/M kits need to be treated with caution. Seems you kept only the footplate, tanks and bunker then eh? Great silk purse from sow's ear though, that R1 looks the business!

Thanks for your kind comments.

I did keep the cab back, spectacle plates, belpaire firebox, most of the fittings and the coupling rods. As it only cost me half the full retail price (at most) and saved me a scratchbuild I'm happy:) . I'd consider the TVR A class if they were still around. Don't fancy doing all those rivets:blink: .

Adrian

Here's one I picked up on Ebay.

It was a rescue kit I have had to do a lot of work on it. It has a comet chassis, but the tender is as is. Got in running, probably for the first time with a Branchlines gearbox but the Mashima motor was too small for such a heavy loco so it has a larger one.

Will post again when finished.

Jack

post-9964-095703000 1287341817_thumb.jpg

post-9964-092451100 1287341833_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I know it's a long time since this thread started, but does anyone have a copy of the instructions for the ex-GCR class C13 4-4-2 tank kit that they could scan and post please? I'm particularly interested in the cab (interior) area.

I have one of these kits that needs a substantial rebuild, and there are two parts that look like driving wheel splashers inside the cab that I'm not quite sure how they fit as they are not an exact mirror image of each other.

Help please?????????

• 1 year later...

Here's a few of mine;

N5 0-6-2T

attachicon.gifNu Cast N5 b.jpg

C13 4-4-2T

attachicon.gifNu Cast C13a.jpg

K1 2-6-0

attachicon.gifModel Locomotives 093a.jpg

L & Y 0-6-0ST (the kit had a plain saddle tank, I made and added a riveted brass overlay for it)

attachicon.gifNu Cast LY 0-6-0ST.jpg

L & Y 2-4-2T

attachicon.gifNu Cast LY 2-4-2Ta.jpg

I think that the last two might have been former Cotswold kits but they were in the Nu Cast range when I bought them.

I've also built the Sentinel (the 0-4-0T, not the railcar), the Stanier 2-6-4T and the B16/3.  I'll try and dig them out for photographing.

Arthur

Hi

I am about to start building a Nucast C13, can you reccomend a motor/gearbox combo that would be suitable?

Thanks

Mike

PS Your locos are stunning!!

Thanks Mike, that's very kind.

I built my C13 several years ago and it's got an open frame Anchoridge D13 with some sort of etched gearbox with 40:1 gears, probably from Romford.

There's plenty of space inside the finished kit. If I was building it today I'd use a Mashima 1624, with a flywheel, and either a Comet GB3 gearbox or a 60:1 Loadhauler from the High Level Kits range.

I have a 1616 portescap in mine

Thanks Mike, that's very kind.

I built my C13 several years ago and it's got an open frame Anchoridge D13 with some sort of etched gearbox with 40:1 gears, probably from Romford.

There's plenty of space inside the finished kit. If I was building it today I'd use a Mashima 1624, with a flywheel, and either a Comet GB3 gearbox or a 60:1 Loadhauler from the High Level Kits range.

Thanks very much gents, the motor and gear box is theonly think stopping progress at the minute, will definately investigate your suggestions...

Watch this space

Mike

Archived