Marcway v C+L 7mm Turnouts...

bcnPete

Thanks Martin....hmm....that's interesting...will have to have a reread of Richard's thread again.

Hi Pete

Just to expand on Martin's comment a little....

Slaters, Peco, Gibson, Easy Build, San Cheng, Bachmann, Tower all go through absolutely fine, without any adjustment whatever (there is that much 'slop' in 'finescale' standards). However, Heljan diesels will not. For some reason I haven't fathomed, their wheels are not to industry standard profiles. That's a real pain. Nor will some of the cast iron wheelsets, but I guess you are unlikely to use these.

So, if you want to run a Heljan diesel, best to stick to the usual 32mm gauge. Otherwise, if you are building your own track, you have nothing to lose by building to 31.5mm, and plenty to gain.

Richard

Guest Digital

Gents,

I have 2 Marchway 3 way points and to date have found them very good.

I appreciate all the comments about chairs etc but for me they are good value.

Here is a very quick photos of one of the 3 way point.

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Richard - Thanks again - I will think a little more about the 32 v 31.5mm before I jump in.

John - They do like nice - as I mentioned most of my track will be covered with a concrete apron so perhaps I can be selective of what goes where - BTW, nice layout you have - I followed your link - do you have a blog running on here?

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Digital

Richard - Thanks again - I will think a little more about the 32 v 31.5mm before I jump in.

John - They do like nice - as I mentioned most of my track will be covered with a concrete apron so perhaps I can be selective of what goes where - BTW, nice layout you have - I followed your link - do you have a blog running on here?

Pete

Hi Pete

Sorry for the late reply.

I tend to put all my updates on my own blog.

Regards

John

• 3 weeks later...

Am thinking of dipping the toe in the 7mm scale and am just curious as to peoples opinions on Marcway or C+L turnouts. There does not seem to be photos on either website, although I have found a few on some related topics here. They both look very smart.

The Marcway turnout kits look to be good value and much cheaper than the C+L turnouts but I guess the difference is there are no chairs on the Marcway turnouts. I keep thinking to myself, that if I am bothered about chairs on my 2mmFS layouts (With PCB construction I have not but with the Easitrac turnouts I have) it seems a bit strange to overlook them at 7mm scale. Is it so obvious when attached to plain track with chairs?

Pete,

Appreciate this is a little late for the thread, but i've just put a couple of Marcway curved points on the for sale forum on here. Not trying to plug it in anyway, but there's a couple of pictures of them on just a blue background, which I thought may help you in deciding how they look without the scenic additions of ballast etc .. perhaps a good before/after comparison with the 3-way point that John has photographed.

Cheers

Richard

• RMweb Gold

John - Thanks - it's now be saved as one of my favourites ;)

Richard - Thanks for posting this - I have had a quick look and will go back when I have more time to look in more detail - Very helpful of you.

Pete

Richard - Thanks for posting this - I have had a quick look and will go back when I have more time to look in more detail - Very helpful of you.

Pete

Hi Pete,

No problem, feel free to PM me if I can help at all. I use Peco metre-length track with Marcway points - although have got a couple of Peco points that aren't being used!. The only 'issue' I've found with mixing Peco track with Marcway points is the sleeper depth - obviously Peco are moudled plastic sleepers with chairs, where as Marcway are thinner board and do require a little packing to bring the rail height up to the Peco track. However, as somebody who wouldn't have the patience or skill to build points (that worked!) I can recommend the Marcways. Its all personal preference, however!

Anyway, I'm not an expert by any means, but if i can help - feel free to shout!

Cheers

Rich

RIch - many thanks - will do...but am now back in 2mmFS mode so it might be a while before my 7mm stuff moves foward again - Pete

You have my greatest respect and admiration.

Having modelled in 7mm for some years now I doubt I could even re-rail a 2mm loco, never mind build one.

Although I have seen it before, I stood in awe watching stock moving on Copenhagen Fields at Warley.

regards

Stewart

RIch - many thanks - will do...but am now back in 2mmFS mode so it might be a while before my 7mm stuff moves foward again - Pete

Pete

I also am a little late to this thread, but you can read my experiences with Marcway 3-way points here

http://www.rmweb.co....h__1#entry73784

In the end I took it up and built a C&L one, which was not totally without problems.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Stewart - Thanks - There are times when I wonder what I am doing, but I have a 'swear box' which gets topped up regularly and when its full, it funds another 2mm loco :D

Paul - Many thanks - I had not seen your thread, but just dropped in to it quickly and it looks great - I will have a good read through from the top with a cup of coffee later today - Pete

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Update :O

Been a while since I posted something.

It all went pretty quiet on the 7mm front for me, concentrating on my 2mmFS stuff (and my sons 4mm layout) however the bug is back....possibly helped by Dapol's new 08 proposal ;)

I have now ordered some turnout templates from C+L and once they are here next week I will map something out and order one of their 'turnout in a bag' options.

Wenfordbridge is currently on hold as I have an overwhelming desire to first make something small and Scottish to start with....more news on this to follow.

Am looking forward to get a turnout underway and get a feel for this scale :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Hello Pete. The C+L chairs do look pretty good. If you want short samples of C+L and Peco I have got some odd offcuts somewhere. The Marcway type are PCB sleepers I have made up some for others but for a small diorama type layout which I assume is your intention the C+L chairs would be worth it just switch to PCB strips ( at double spacing) or even brass screws where the track will be inset. However check first if its half inset with the tops of chairs showing.

The 32mm -31.5mm issue is about the look and removing the slop in 0F standards but as commented above it does means if the flanges are a bit thicker they will not run through most will.

Don

ps. I have an unpainted Bachman late version 08 which doesn't really fit with my live steamers I could be persuaded to part with not exactly cheap though.

Don

• RMweb Gold

ps. I have an unpainted Bachman late version 08 which doesn't really fit with my live steamers I could be persuaded to part with not exactly cheap though.

Me too!! But I will keep mine...there is something nice about it all in brass....lets see how Dapol's fairs...

Thanks for the advice. I decided that at this scale, the chairs are a must so I moved away from marcway, however I can appreciate their product and am sure there is still a big market for them.

Strange to jump between 2mmFS and 7mm, but I can see why you do now. I am still committed to progressing CJM this year, but for some reason, I always need to have 'another' project on the go to keep me interested.

I will use the C+L F7 system which if I understand correctly means I can use rtr and kit built stock...which will be enough to get me started.

• RMweb Gold

methyl ethyl ketone or MEK.

Just say MEK in a plumbers' merchants -- it is used to assemble plastic pipes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

Martin.

The stuff I used as a plumber may have been based on the same solvent but was a viscous thick product whereas the Butanone ( 1 2 Butanone if I remember right) I use for C+L is much more liquid. My Butanone is not the same as the stuff Slaters sell for fixing plasticard which is also sometimes described as MEK. Perhaps it is just a difference of strength. My chemistry is pretty basic.

Don

• RMweb Gold
My Butanone is not the same as the stuff Slaters sell for fixing plasticard which is also sometimes described as MEK.

Hi Don,

Slater's solvent is actually called "Mek-Pak" (trade name). It was based on MEK/butanone many years ago, but not now. I believe it is now Butyl Acetate.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

The stuff that Plumbers use over here is very thin and Pink in colour. My Plumber believes in twisting the parts together until they lock tight. That may be just him though....

Best, Pete.

That sounds weird rather like moving a soldered join as it sets. As far as I know the pipes etc used for solvent welding are ABS. Sometimes its actually marked on the pipe. The push fit pipes are not ABS. As the C+L parts are also ABS the plumbers solvent should do the trick. Not sure the pink colour helps though.

Don

Edit It could be he uses a twisting action in getting the pipes right home into the sockets then allows to set you wouldn't be faced with the same need with trackwork I do find that a bit of gentle pressure held for about 30secs ensures the chairs are doen properly and will hold whilst fixing the next one.

Archived