Airbrushing roof dirt - Class 47s

• RMweb Gold

I am planning to have a first attempt at spraying roof dirt on a couple of my Class 47s, having finished detailing the roofs I have had a lot of problems getting a close colour match with the Vi Trains grey (Virgin and RES) while the Fraggonset respray is just too clean.

The hope is to spray some roof dirt and hide the differing colours, but I'd be interested to hear what colours of paint are recommended and any advice on the actual spraying.

I am planning to have a first attempt at spraying roof dirt on a couple of my Class 47s, having finished detailing the roofs I have had a lot of problems getting a close colour match with the Vi Trains grey (Virgin and RES) while the Fraggonset respray is just too clean.

The hope is to spray some roof dirt and hide the differing colours, but I'd be interested to hear what colours of paint are recommended and any advice on the actual spraying.

I feel the key to weathering is to think about where the dirt came from. If you are talking about loco roofs then little of the accumulation will come from the track or ground. What you are thinking about is exhaust (mostly carbon) and tunnel dirt (mostly carbon). When you are weathering I always try and stay away from absolutes, so no black and no white. Personally I tend to use the mix that I have been using for body sides etc, normally a mix of brown and khaki colours, to which I then add my black. The mix can vary but you should be looking for a very dark filth that is not flat black. Over the length of the loco you can change the tones with an even darker blend around the exhaust - but even here I would suggest avoiding total black.

John

Archived