Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Enginemen's Overalls

Topic description says it all really. I'm painting up some figures for a loco crew and have realised I don't actually know what colour(s) their overalls were. I'm only looking for an approximate idea for BR late 50's steam. The photos I can find for this period are all B+W so they're not much help and I suspect those worn today on preserved lines aren't a good guide!

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

In BR times the original issue colour was a very dark blue but this tended to wash out fairly quickly, especially if the overalls etc were washed on the footplate in a bucket of very hot water and washing soda. Thus overalls could finish up looking a very pale blue/almost white after some intensive washing.

Despite appearances I think most enginemen endeavoured to come to work in clean overalls looking spick & span and many Drivers would wear a collar and tie to work and manage to keep themselves and their clothes looking almost as clean at the end of a shift as they had when they booked on. And some others looked as if they has spent their shift down a coal mine :lol:

Topic description says it all really. I'm painting up some figures for a loco crew and have realised I don't actually know what colour(s) their overalls were. I'm only looking for an approximate idea for BR late 50's steam. The photos I can find for this period are all B+W so they're not much help and I suspect those worn today on preserved lines aren't a good guide!

Jeremy

When first issued, they would have been a dark navy blue, because of the indigo dye used. However, the sort of scrubbing they'd have been given when being washed at home (scrubbing brush and washboard) would have caused them to fade to a light blue- much as jeans used to fade. The photos on the other reply give some idea of both 'as-issued' and 'just starting to get comfortable' look. The footplate work-wear on preserved lines is pretty authentic- it's just that modern washing techniques don't remove the dye in the same way. Some of the dyes used in cheaper overalls didn't used to be too 'fast' either- I remember getting soaked when wearing a set of new blue cotton overalls (not railway ones, but they were used pretty widely in industry), and turning a funny blue colour.

My overalls came from stores light grey-blue! I had two jackets, a summer one that matched the overalls and an almost black heavyweight jacket. The bloke on the right is in overalls and light jacket (he's just come on days) while a youthful yours truly is in denim jeans and heavy shirt and jacket having just finished a night shift. Loco is LYR 3F for those interested. (1960).

post-6680-128307953117.jpg

Archived