Hornby Class 60 / 92 Conversion

Cardiff Bluebird

I was thinking last night (could sleep at work !!!) about the possiabilty of converting the Hornby Class 60 classis into a Class 92 one. Then using the Class 92 body with some work of course to fit onto the DCC Ready with lights etcto fit onto the Class 60 classis.

There would be work in the bogie side frames and underframe boxes etc. But would it be possiable?

Bluebird,

What a fantastic idea! I guess in theory it should work assuming the Hornby/Lima 92 body is accurate.

I have a Lima 92 and 2 60s so I might give it a go one day!

Just for clarification purposes both Hornby and LIma (prior to their demise) produced the Class 92. No 'Limby' Class 92 has ever been produced, the last Hornby release was of their own tooling.

There have been different opinions on which one was the better, can someone please advise.

I have the Lima EWS 92001 Victor Hugo bought cheaply in Beatties (now Modelzone) Holborn many years ago.

Its difficult for me to decide which is better out the Hornby and Lima Class 92's.

The Hornby has a lot more seperate and better detail like the shoebeams and windscreen wipers. But the Lima model came with better front obstacle deflector details and a removable tension lock coupling without getting a hacksaw like you needed to do with the Hornby-but you had to put on all the insulator and pantograph detail on the roof on the Lima model. Im more leant towards the Hornby model- its just that wee bit better detail wise.

James Makin of Wells Green TMD fame prefers the Hornby 92 and has done some amazing work on the Hornby model. I think a Hornby 92 melted with a Hornby Class 60 would be pretty awesome!

Currently in the process of butchering a Hornby 60 chassis into something looking like a class 92 with a Hornby 92 body on top.

Theres a certain amount of castmetal to to away with and the length of the body is slightly shorter than the 60 chassis aloows for so theres a little filing to be done.

I had hoped to keep the lights of the 60 but to be honest much easier to build again using my favoured method of fibre optics channeling light from LED's.

Also you have to do away with Hornby's circuit board, but seeming as you are not using the lights theres not too much point a good DCCC chip will do wondefully.

Also the Bogies on the Hornby 60 aren't the same. I thought I'd get away with it but there are just to many little giveaways even with the pick up shoes in place it's easy to see the differences. Taking the bogie detail from the old Hornby 92 isn't as straightforward either as the centres of the axles don't line up, so I have opted to align the centre axel with the centre axel box and suffer the slight mismatch with the front and rear axel.

What has been a bugbear has been trying to get rid of the Hornby printed on nameplates as they are too long and the excellent Shawplan etched plated do not cover the printed one completely.

Will post some construction pic's when I get home at the weekend. But my main reason for doing the conversion was so that i could get a quite motor with good slow running abillities.

• 1 month later...

I've had such a conversion on the go for a few years now. Lima body, bogie frames and underframe parts with the rest of it being a Hornby 60 chassis. The advantage of using the Lima one is that the bogies are near enough accurate with the unequal bogie centres. A fair bit of surgery with a minidrill was required to take down some of the internals on the chassis block, but it seems to work well enough. I've still not fitted any of the bogie frames back on yet, but all the detail from the Hornby bogies have been grafted onto the Lima ones. Still lots to do mind! may one day crack on with it and get it running......rolleyes.gif

Regards,

Tim

Archived