US Scalescene users?

trisonic

Is "Michaels" the place for card? Any other suggestions?

What about size it's all Imperial isn't it?

I must be bloody mad! When I lived in the UK I modeled US stuff now I want to do an English layout, call me masochist......

Best, Pete.

Hi Trisonic

I find better card in Staples or Grand and Toy (I'm in Canada, but both in USA too). Michaels is a bit wierd on card in our area (like they never have any rolleyes.gif ).

As to printing off, I print full size but on legal.. loose some of the framing at the bottom, but the whole kit is there. I check scale against the height of a door and it seems fine to me so far.

However.. deffinately Michaels for spray glue (3m photomount) and spray UV protector and varnish from the Krylon range. (I use UV protector on the sheet when first printed, then use a few light sprays of matt varnish as I assemble.. has stopped all fading or damage so far.

Regards

Graham

Hi Pete,

Try your friendly local art store and see if they have some 'clay board'. It comes in a variety of thicknesses and is quite cheap, usually about $4.00 for a 4'x4' sheet. It is a bit brutal on blades though so invest in spare pack or two.

HTH

David

• 2 weeks later...

"I must be bloody mad! When I lived in the UK I modeled US stuff now I want to do an English layout, call me masochist"

Does two make a Club I have lived in the US since 83 and finally decided to model what I remember as a kid.

DC Snr

A Brit in The USA

• 1 month later...

A good art supply shop. You will also be able to get paint brushes, graph paper, paint etc. Iin the Ottawa, Kingston area we have Wallicks Art Supply. They are fantastic. They have Bristol Board of various thickness just like we used to get in school those many years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Another Crazy here...In Canada but Iwait till ive moved 5500 miles away to start getting the bug...

My nearest model shop is 2 hours drive! local Michael is useless too and very expensive in Canada. Right now im making do with card I can scrounge.

Yes, there is a club. It's the British Railway Modellers of North America, and its website is here. It's been in existence for many years, and we always welcome new members from any background since the supply of railway-mad expats is a bit limited!

The yearly "Railfair" in Ottawa and the biennial "Great British Train Show" in Toronto are both well worth visiting, although getting to them by train from the US is not too convenient and you may have to travel in one of those new-fangled flying machines.

• 3 months later...

I'm another one living in North Carolina and modelling BR Blue.

I gave up with Michaels for card. I have used Staples for card but my top printed layer for Scalescenes goes on Avery full sheet inkjet shipping labels from Staples (self adhesive and strong). I have taken to using Plasticard (Evergreen) that I get from my local train store.

Funny I'm from the US and want to model UK, problem is I know squat about it. However, I have found Bristol card in the local AC Moore's shop. I believe the stuff I picked up was 140 pound weight. It was in the art supply section painting/drawing stuff and came in a big tablet.

Tom

Funny I'm from the US and want to model UK, problem is I know squat about it. However, I have found Bristol card in the local AC Moore's shop. I believe the stuff I picked up was 140 pound weight. It was in the art supply section painting/drawing stuff and came in a big tablet.

Tom

Tom if you need any advice or help with your UK modeling here in the US send me a PM I will be happy to help you get started

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I've just read through this and I'm not sure if a good US based source was found. I have real trouble finding the right card here in LA. I've tried all the usual Michaels, Staples etc.

Did anyone come up with anything?

Thanks

J.

• RMweb Premium

Model Railroader used to suggest "Strathmore Board" which came in a variety of plies. I managed to get some but lost the art supplier. Bristol board just isn't the same; strathmore cuts quite cleanly.

What glue works well between paper and card?

Archived