Earl of Devon (Dartmoor Boozer) Phase I - Disaster, Drama, Deliverance

I had completed the Earl of Devon Proof of Concept pub and started painting the "final" (i.e. client's) pub when disaster struck, the paint solvent from several passes of the spray can (just plain matt white) caused the thin (20thou) outer shell to melt(?) and sag over the plastic rod framing - resulting in a decaying and damaged front:

post-123-128361688483.jpg

I had considered trying to salvage the front by the use of pub signs and ivy, but ChrisF (quite rightly) instructed me to remove the front. Fortunately, the method of construction I had chosen allowed me to do so without any damage to the sides. Having an electric sanding wand did, however, make cleaning up quite fast and was a Godsend. Once the diseased areas were ablated, I set the body aside and built a new front using the same method as before, but using SEF embossed plasticard for the front.

The results were satisfactory and I sent ChrisF the following tongue-in-cheek e-mail

The Earl of Devon was reported to have successfully undergone a series of surgeries following an emergency admission to St Jude The Obscure's Hospital.

A hospital spokesman said: “The 9th Earl of Devon was admitted in a critical state late on Monday night, iL Dottore and his team performed emergency surgery to remove the diseased and malignant facade that was threatening the Earl’s very existence. Following a day spent in the Intensive Care Unit whilst the Earl’s replacement facade was being prepared, the Earl of Devon returned to theatre this morning. iL Dottore and his team operated and the transplant was a success. iL Dottore reports that the Earl will need some additional, minor, plastic surgery but is expected to make a full recovery and take up his duties in Chagford as originally anticipated†and here is the post-op picture.

post-123-128361740409_thumb.jpg

Following the successful face transplant, it was then simply a question of painting the model. As can be seen, due to the different type of walling (random stone vs rendered plaster), the decoration of the facades are slightly different (the name board being a particular request)

post-123-128361755931_thumb.jpg

post-123-128361757989.jpg

post-123-128361759914.jpg

post-123-128361765434.jpg

post-123-128361767218.jpg

You'll have noted that the lamps are a bit wonky as is the Pub Name Board but both are only temporary fittings - the name board is attached with a tiny blob of blutak! The "final" Pub is slightly lighter than the PoC model - but I think that the colours still work.

In placing the buildings on their bases, I noted that - thanks to the monster cobbles (Wills sheet), I'll need to do a little bit of work on the base, basically run a strip of plastic alongside the cobbles to elevate the pub to give it the necessary clearance so that the watergoods don't foul the cobblestones. I still also have the beer garden to finish.

I can now, thank goodness, move on to the interiors. I've already started painting tiny folk and have built a bar and benches. Phase II photos (interiors) to be posted soon.

As always feedback welcomed.

F

• RMweb Gold

So glad that the emergency surgery went well, and the patient is responding normally in re-animation chirurgicale (as I sadly know it's called hereabouts!). Looks very much up to iL Dottore standards, love the little details and look forward to the interior shots asap! We can all learn from your experience with paint/material incompatibility. Test first or risk disaster!

Archived