2mm 25 ton SR brake van

Kris

I wondered who was going to pick up that offer - didn't associate it with your "teaser".

A secondary challenge for you is to write up a longer account of its construction than "Missy" (Julia), whose blog on the building of "Elvis" ran to about 13 sessions as I recall (and I'm not sure she had the electronics fully sorted out for the lighting when I last checked, so there may yet be more to come...).

I think the only pictures I have will be of 22 in chocolate and cream, at Didcot earlier this year. As I recall, it wasn't very conveniently positioned for photography (and it's far too modern for my tastes, so I probably didn't expend much effort on it), so the pictures probably won't be much help, but I will see what I can find.

David

• RMweb Premium

Missy's build is a totally different kettle of fish. It's amazing and if I get even halfway close to the project she has created then I will be delighted. There has been a sighting of Elvis in very close vicinity to my Avonwick layout.

Checking back on my photos, I find that they were of No 4, which is Missy's kettle of fish rather than yours. At least I remembered the chocolate colour correctly.

Alternatively I could offer you some photos of No 93 (in crimson), which comes closer to qualifying as a kettle...

David

• RMweb Premium

Well the rain has forced me to spend most of the day inside. Have I used this profitably? Well having done a few things that I had to do I proceeded to have a really good look at the kit for the GWR railcar. Having run a ruler over various parts I'm reasonably please with some of what I have found there are a number of compromises though that Langley have done. Considering how old this kit is this is not a surprise and the kit is very build able as it is with only minimal flash that said though if you were to build the kit up as is, it would not stand up to current models. Having establish this I then set to considering how I could develop the kit. On the top the most glaring omission are the toplights and vent windows over all the main windows. I am working through various ways to add these at the moment but have not come up with a solution that I like at the moment.

Going down the model I also discovered that the bogie wheelbase is incorrect on the donor chassis and that this is replicated in the replacement bogie side castings (a plus in some ways) but this may well be a compromise to far for me especially given the limited detail on the replacement castings. To get around this I have started to play with a design for a replacement chassis. I don't know if I will use any of the existing donor to reduce the cost of this build.

post-163-0-55385200-1322588188_thumb.jpg

It's quite plain and functional at the moment and the bogie is designed to allow for some limited springing. Much work is still to be done including creating the side frames.

Over the past couple of weeks I have also been playing with a wagon to try and help me learn more about the joys (or otherwise) of Sketchup. I'm reasonably happy with the body. I know that some details are not quite right but I can accept these. I have yet to decide whether to complete the chassis or just to use the existing 2mm association one.

This is a GWR Fruit C to dia Y9

post-163-0-84315800-1322588542_thumb.jpg

Yes I do know that the roof need vents, I haven't added these yet.

Archived